Missouri Valley Conference Will Expand To Replace Wichita State, 4 Schools Lead | The Boneyard

Missouri Valley Conference Will Expand To Replace Wichita State, 4 Schools Lead

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Expanding its horizon: Missouri Valley’s future decided soon

I woke up Thursday to various reports saying the Missouri Valley’s university presidents will hold a meeting next week on expansion.

A school hoping to join the Valley will need seven of the nine presidents to say “yes” on Monday. By Tuesday, we’ll learn if any are accepted – with those schools becoming a full member for the next school year.

It appears the Valley has narrowed it’s list to four schools; Murray State, Nebraska-Omaha, Valparaiso, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee. MVC officials visited those campuses in recent weeks to see the facilities and meet their potential, new-partners.

For me, you lose one school – you bring in one school. That makes the most sense. But, as I started thinking about it I thought, “why not two or three?”

With two additions, yes the Valley would have 11 schools – but what’s wrong with odd numbers? Schools could play a 20-game, conference basketball schedule. Currently the MAAC (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) is the only D-I league to have a 20-game conference schedule.

We’ve heard from coaches this past season, including Paul Lusk, saying it’s hard to schedule as a mid-major. You cannot get home and home games with Power Five Conferences. The good mid-majors already have full schedules or have scheduling conflicts to make open dates work.

So if you have 11 or even 12 schools in the Valley, you fill up your schedule easier. There’s less open dates to find the Chicago State’s or Fontbonne’s of the world. That might give you the flexibility to land that top-120 RPI school.

Also, there’s strength in numbers. Let’s say a team, or two, has a bad recruiting year, defections or injuries. With ten teams, those one or two schools bring down the entire conference RPI by a lot. But, if there are 12 teams, the down years by those two schools don’t doom the entire conference as bad.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

So they voted, but are still negotiating terms? Weird that they officially announce before all the O's are dotted and t's are crossed.... Then again, this isn't Ninja Swofford or Delaney at work.

Reaction Score
Source?

Speculation from/in linked article above...

>>"We researched conferences that went from 10 to 12 and what their RPIs have done. What does going to 11 teams mean for the conference tournament? There was no stone unturned by the Valley staff or our coaches," Lansing said.<<

>>"The expansion committee will continue to meet for the next nine months to evaluate further expansion opportunities," said Missouri State president Clif Smart in a Tweet.">>

Reaction Score
Source?

Sorry, was on my phone earlier.
"Expect" might be too strong a word, but definitely on the front burner.

Missouri Valley considering further expansion after Valparaiso addition

Smart also announced that further expansion will be investigated over the coming nine months. The President’s Group has instructed the Expansion Working Group, which is headed by Smart, to look into additional schools to add to the Valley.

“I think we will look at other options. I think there is interest in exploring options beyond the three other schools we visited in the last several weeks,” Smart said. “I do think all of those schools remain viable contenders. There is interest on both sides. I believe we conveyed to those schools our continued interest in them.” ... Smart and his group will work to find viable candidates and present their findings next March. ... “I don’t mean to imply that the schools we visited won’t be the ones that are ultimately there. We need some times to work through some things.”

“I have been a proponent from the beginning that we need to be bolder than just a one-for-one replacement. We need to carve out our identity as the sixth basketball conference; particularly the basketball conference of the Midwest. I think there additional schools that will be interested in joining that vision,” Smart said.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Trying to dot the O's might be slowing the process. :p
Tell that to Mötley Crüe. (That's what I get for reducing my boneyard browsing in the off-season)

Reaction Score
Tell that to Mötley Crüe. (That's what I get for reducing my boneyard browsing in the off-season)
HgbvgSN.jpg

Outstanding use of umlauts, son. Getcha case a beer for that one; preferably Löwenbräu.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom