Missouri gone from Big 12 | The Boneyard

Missouri gone from Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://mobile.al.com/advbirm/db_96540/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=b44GASFf

"Tentative plan for Mizzou to join SEC, Auburn would move to East, sources say The Birmingham News 09/20/2011 5:25 PM The Southeastern Conference and the University of Missouri have informally agreed that, barring new developments, the school will join the league and that Auburn University will move to the SEC East Division, according to two people familiar with the discussions. A majority of presidents has endorsed the informal agreement, the sources said."

So big 12 down to 8 members.

Reaction Score
if the BCS world goes to hell now, B1g really seems like it got caught with its pants down

Reaction Score
Gone? is there something about "barring new developments" that is somehow definitive. There are new developements every hour

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well this, in the current dog eat dog climate, is good news.

Reaction Score
if the BCS world goes to hell now, B1g really seems like it got caught with its pants down

Yes that is the sentiment of my MSU buddy. He seems to think that the PTB in the B1G were shocked that the ACC pulled off SU and Pitt with no noise until the 11th hour. Don't know how great his info is but that's what he says and he is surprised they have yet to act since because he sees the danger in the ACC somehow getting ND and then whomever ND wants to bring as a 16th team. It means the B1G will have gone from a selector conference to a position of taking the best of the rest.

Reaction Score
Probably legal issues, who knows.
Gone? is there something about "barring new developments" that is somehow definitive. There are new developements every hour

Reaction Score
And why does the Big 10 have to take anyone? Big ten has great money and stability please explain to me why they would "NEED" to expand. They may have wanted to expand their markets but now that that's gone they may just be happy where they are.

Reaction Score
And yeah PTB does seem to be in shock. he hasn't reared his head at all after promising new updates.

Reaction Score
Revrat if they whiff (stall) on ND, RU, UConn then they will have deffinitly lost value. That would have owned NY marketplace. Just an insane amount of money they could have made because the big ten network would have to be added to every NY metro cable station. But if they really do sit still I agree, no reason to expand then. Kansas/KSU and whoever else is left wont add much value.

Reaction Score
And why does the Big 10 have to take anyone? Big ten has great money and stability please explain to me why they would "NEED" to expand. They may have wanted to expand their markets but now that that's gone they may just be happy where they are.

They wll have to b the 4th 16 team conference.

The ACC, PAC and SEC have made more progress in this than the B1G at this point. The ACC is basically holding out and making a play for ND right now or they would have already taken UConn and one other to lock in at 16 and watch everyone else scramble. The SEC is about to go to 14. The PAC is at 12 and trying to swing Texas and Oklahoma (plus their hangers on Tech and St) to make the jump to 16.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Big 10 has a flexible revenue model that enables it to benefit from new membership better than any league. Get the BTN on the first tier of cable packages by getting a team in the state. Wash, rinse, repeat. It is a little puzzling that the Big 10 is being so conservative.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Oklahoma is saying they want to stay in teh Big 12 or whatever. of course that could change as schools jump ship...

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The Big 10 has a flexible revenue model that enables it to benefit from new membership better than any league. Get the BTN on the first tier of cable packages by getting a team in the state. Wash, rinse, repeat. It is a little puzzling that the Big 10 is being so conservative.

Honestly, I think it is the Big Ten arrogance. They think that every team in the coutntry would drop their current conference and run to them if the Big Ten honors them with an invite. Unfortunately for them, I think they are going to regret sitting this round of expansion out, as the new power conferences are going to have some very serious barriers to leaving the league and the super conferences will slowly close the revenue gap to the Big Ten. In a few years when Notre Dame eventually breaks down and joins the Big Ten, I don't know if they will be able to get any of their targets at that point.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think it is the Big Ten arrogance. They think that every team in the coutntry would drop their current conference and run to them if the Big Ten honors them with an invite. Unfortunately for them, I think they are going to regret sitting this round of expansion out, as the new power conferences are going to have some very serious barriers to leaving the league and the super conferences will slowly close the revenue gap to the Big Ten. In a few years when Notre Dame eventually breaks down and joins the Big Ten, I don't know if they will be able to get any of their targets at that point.
More like a few weeks on ND. If the football schools tell Marinatto and his band of merry men (ie: the hoops schools) they are excercising the by-law clause to split on Oct 2, ND will be left without ANY of the bowl tie-in's it has with it's sweet heart BE deal. Then they will have their hand forced. Either all in to B-10 or ACC...or they stay in BE and try to get their own bowl tie-in's which will be virtually inpossible!

Reaction Score
OK thank you for the news. Who in here is willing and able to start uconn2bigten.com ? Use http://mizzou2sec.com as a template, it apparently worked for them. I prefer the ACC but with Missouri out, BigTen is more of a possibility.

Reaction Score

They like Maryland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69