Mississippi State tutor committed academic misconduct to aid 11 student-athletes | The Boneyard

Mississippi State tutor committed academic misconduct to aid 11 student-athletes

Reaction Score
LMAO... 10 year show cause on the tutor!

>>A former Mississippi State student and part-time athletics department tutor committed academic misconduct in an online general chemistry course to aid 10 football student-athletes and a men’s basketball student-athlete, according to a negotiated resolution agreement approved by a Division I Committee on Infractions panel.<<

>>Those penalties, approved by the Committee on Infractions, are detailed below:
  • A fine of $5,000, plus 1% each of the football and men’s basketball budgets.
  • A reduction of two football scholarships during each of the 2020-21 and 2021-22 academic years.
  • A reduction of one men’s basketball scholarship during the 2020-21 academic year.
  • A reduction of four football official visits from the program’s four-year average of 40 visits during the 2019-20 academic year.
  • A reduction of two men’s basketball official visits from the program’s four-year average of 10 visits during the 2019-20 and 2020-21 rolling two-year period.
  • A prohibition of football unofficial visits during one home contest for the 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 academic years.
  • A prohibition of men’s basketball unofficial visits during two home contests for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years.
  • A reduction of football evaluation days by two in the fall 2019 and 10 in spring 2020.
  • A reduction of men’s basketball recruiting-person days by six in the spring of 2020.
  • Three years of probation.
  • A vacation of records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 45 days of the public decision release.
  • A disassociation of the former tutor.
  • All involved student-athletes must conduct one rules education session on the consequences of academic misconduct.
  • Participation in the National Association of Academic and Student-Athlete Development Professionals program review and Academic Integrity Assessment process.
  • A 10-year show-cause order for the former tutor. During that period, any NCAA member school employing her must restrict her from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply.<<

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
They couldn't get one non-student athlete to claim they got help to make it a non-NCAA issue. MSU must have a real stupid administration if they can't follow the UNCheat blueprint.

Reaction Score
Remember. The BY likes the NCAA now. UConn is depending on the NCAA to justify not giving KO his severance money. So let's not go speculating about blueprints for cheating.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Remember. The BY likes the NCAA now. UConn is depending on the NCAA to justify not giving KO his severance money. So let's not go speculating about blueprints for cheating.
"Likes" is a stretch, but I've read your posts and know where you're coming from. In this instance it's academic cheating which does not overlap with our drama. UNC has perfected the blueprint in this case. To do what they did and not get in any trouble of any kind is the gold standard for getting away with something.

Reaction Score
Sure. Because only KO could care about the utterly unethical way UConn has handled KOs situation. But this post wasn't about KO or his court case. It is about the hypocrisy of the BY when it comes to the NCAA. When an NCAA action benefits UConn (or hurts a program BYers don't like) then the NCAA is a credible organization dispensing justice. Otherwise it's an inconsistent partial tool of basketball royalty that screws UConn every chance it gets and why isn't UConn considered part of basketball royalty anyways!

The NCAA is either an ethical organization or its not. If it isn't ethical, then give KO his money. If it is ethical, then quit complaining about UNC. Figure out which side you are on and stay there.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The NCAA is either an ethical organization or its not. If it isn't ethical, then give KO his money.
Or... regardless of the NCAA being ethical or not, KO exposed UConn to unacceptable risk of punishment by the NCAA.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Toughest penalty is not allowing a tutor to be the official tutor to student athletes for ten years. That like saying someone from the East Hartford Project Graduation can't work the concession stand at the Rent for ten years.

Commit as much academic fraud as you want, just don't report your players are behind on their graduation schedule. - NCAA

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure. Because only KO could care about the utterly unethical way UConn has handled KOs situation. But this post wasn't about KO or his court case. It is about the hypocrisy of the BY when it comes to the NCAA. When an NCAA action benefits UConn (or hurts a program BYers don't like) then the NCAA is a credible organization dispensing justice. Otherwise it's an inconsistent partial tool of basketball royalty that screws UConn every chance it gets and why isn't UConn considered part of basketball royalty anyways!

The NCAA is either an ethical organization or its not. If it isn't ethical, then give KO his money. If it is ethical, then quit complaining about UNC. Figure out which side you are on and stay there.
Uhhh.... let’s see, Kevin repeatedly violated NCAA rules causing his plyares to lose eligibility, UConn to be sanctioned, and got himself a three year and see a show cause penalty to boot ... and he repeatedly lied to his employers and to the NCAA about it.

I’m not sure that you really want to be talking about ethics... just saying…

( For what it’s worth, the rest of your argument regarding The Boneyard has absolutely no logical consistency, which is something that’s pretty hard to do, so congratulations for that.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This seems fair in light of the fact that UNC got no penalty for creating fake classes and giving out "A"s to 1,200 athletes.
But they also gave out A’s to three students who were not athletes, so that makes everything okay.

Reaction Score
But they also gave out A’s to three students who were not athletes, so that makes everything okay.

That logic is the same as letting off athletes for murder because some "regular" students also committed murder. The NCAA is full of it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The toothless NCAA comes down hard on MSU. Of course I agree about UNC who got away with what should have been at the very least two years of reduction of scholarships for football and basketball and a post season ban. Certain schools just get off on any issue of cheating, just the way it is. The have and have not's

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The toothless NCAA comes down hard on MSU. Of course I agree about UNC who got away with what should have been at the very least two years of reduction of scholarships for football and basketball and a post season ban. Certain schools just get off on any issue of cheating, just the way it is. The have and have not's
The NCAA comes down hard on MSU because they are mostly an SEC also-ran. There's largely no consequence to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Or... regardless of the NCAA being ethical or not, KO exposed UConn to unacceptable risk of punishment by the NCAA.

Do you really believe this? It seems pretty obvious to me that the school conspired to set him up once it became clear they'd screwed themselves with the ridiculous buyout. If KO is guilty of anything - in light of the ongoing sneaker company revelations - it's not cheating enough (and if he did cheat more, then the school is guilty of suppressing that information in the interest of avoiding stiffer penalties). If ALL KO was doing was funding illegal workouts and stuff like that, UConn needed to have a totally different conversation WITH HIM about finding runners to up the ante for better recruits. He was already at a disadvantage recruiting out of the AAC and didn't need to be further compromised by coming up short in the arms race.

And FWIW, I would MUCH rather have my school get caught paying players or changing grades than do what UConn did.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure @CTMike is aware of the KO situation. You wanna know why I think that? There are roughly two dozen threads, either direct, hijacked, other otherwise, with Ollie opinions.

I guess this makes Thread #25.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Do you really believe this? It seems pretty obvious to me that the school conspired to set him up once it became clear they'd screwed themselves with the ridiculous buyout. If KO is guilty of anything - in light of the ongoing sneaker company revelations - it's not cheating enough (and if he did cheat more, then the school is guilty of suppressing that information in the interest of avoiding stiffer penalties). If ALL KO was doing was funding illegal workouts and stuff like that, UConn needed to have a totally different conversation WITH HIM about finding runners to up the ante for better recruits. He was already at a disadvantage recruiting out of the AAC and didn't need to be further compromised by coming up short in the arms race.

And FWIW, I would MUCH rather have my school get caught paying players or changing grades than do what UConn did.
I really believe this.

I understand why folks dismiss it all as ticky tacky. In a vacuum, or compared to other incidents, I get it.

Unfortunately, after our prior punishment under Calhoun, we didn’t (and still don’t) have any leeway to look the other way. Even ticky tacky things can get the book thrown at us.

If you are gonna stink, don’t expose the school to risk while doing it.

Reaction Score
I really believe this.

I understand why folks dismiss it all as ticky tacky. In a vacuum, or compared to other incidents, I get it.

Unfortunately, after our prior punishment under Calhoun, we didn’t (and still don’t) have any leeway to look the other way. Even ticky tacky things can get the book thrown at us.

If you are gonna stink, don’t expose the school to risk while doing it.

I can buy that argument in a vacuum, but it still doesn't address the gaping conflict of interest at the heart of the matter.

Even if we suspect that Ollie was the dirtiest coach in college basketball, we'd still be insane to take the word of the school at face value when they had about 10 million reasons to find those violations. I mean, do you think these violations are ever reported to the NCAA if UConn was in the top 25? I definitely don't, but even if I did, it's a precedent that needs to be stopped in its tracks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom