Mississippi State’s #2 seed | The Boneyard

Mississippi State’s #2 seed

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Was looking at rankings and it’s pretty noteworthy how the top 5 teams have separated themselves from the pack. They have 2 losses combined when you take out head to head matchups: Louisville losing to Florida State, and Baylor to UCLA. Whichever two teams are stuck in the same regional face a major disadvantage compared to the other 3. The rest of the 2 seeds will have 4-7 losses on their resume.

UCONN will be immune and should get a weak #2 since none of the top teams are in their area.

Based on the regional pairings, whoever gets the #1 seed outwest should also feel safe that they’ll likely get Oregon as their 2.

I think Mississippi State gets Oklahoma City since both ND and Louisville are so close to Lexington, while Starksville is 8-10 hours from either location. If they do get OKC, then they’ll get Baylor as their 2...or if Baylor goes out west as a 1, they’ll get the #2 of Louisville or ND since the committee will avoid putting both ACC schools in the same regional. Maybe they won’t, but regardless it would a brutal draw for a team that’s been undefeated all season.

Of course, we had a similar situation 2 years ago with dominant teams in Baylor, SC, ND and UCONN who combined for 1 loss besides head to head matchups. A lot of people had those 4 as shoe ins for the Final four (I did) and only UCONN made it out of the regionals. So a lot remains to be seen, but it’s interesting to think about with conference tournaments coming up this weekend.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Will be so cool when the actual Bracket is announced. All the conjecture will stop and after some surprises are revealed, the b*tching and crying can start (ie., last year's MD fans...).
Actually I hope MsSt and Baylor meet up in the FF4 or Elite Eight, that's a game that I would look forward to watching.

Reaction Score
Was looking at rankings and it’s pretty noteworthy how the top 5 teams have separated themselves from the pack. They have 2 losses combined when you take out head to head matchups: Louisville losing to Florida State, and Baylor to UCLA. Whichever two teams are stuck in the same regional face a major disadvantage compared to the other 3. The rest of the 2 seeds will have 4-7 losses on their resume.

UCONN will be immune and should get a weak #2 since none of the top teams are in their area.

Based on the regional pairings, whoever gets the #1 seed outwest should also feel safe that they’ll likely get Oregon as their 2.

I think Mississippi State gets Oklahoma City since both ND and Louisville are so close to Lexington, while Starksville is 8-10 hours from either location. If they do get OKC, then they’ll get Baylor as their 2...or if Baylor goes out west as a 1, they’ll get the #2 of Louisville or ND since the committee will avoid putting both ACC schools in the same regional. Maybe they won’t, but regardless it would a brutal draw for a team that’s been undefeated all season.

Of course, we had a similar situation 2 years ago with dominant teams in Baylor, SC, ND and UCONN who combined for 1 loss besides head to head matchups. A lot of people had those 4 as shoe ins for the Final four (I did) and only UCONN made it out of the regionals. So a lot remains to be seen, but it’s interesting to think about with conference tournaments coming up this weekend.
Wait! They separate conference schools in brackets? Is that just a P5 thing?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Will be so cool when the actual Bracket is announced. All the conjecture will stop and after some surprises are revealed, the b*tching and crying can start (ie., last year's MD fans...).
Actually I hope MsSt and Baylor meet up in the FF4 or Elite Eight, that's a game that I would look forward to watching.

I’d love a Final Four rematch. Hopefully Wallace isn’t out for the year...she’d love nothing more than a chance to make up for last year’s poor performance. McCowan vs. Brown would be a fantastic matchup inside too.

Reaction Score

You mean to say Kansas City, not Oklahoma City. There is a difference of a few hundred miles!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You mean to say Kansas City, not Oklahoma City. There is a difference of a few hundred miles!

Potato potahto. My bad...KC is only about a half hour further for Ms St compared to OKC. Makes a difference with crowd support if Baylor is in that regional. KC is a lot further than OKC.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Potato potahto. My bad...KC is only about a half hour further for Ms St compared to OKC. Makes a difference with crowd support if Baylor is in that regional. KC is a lot further than OKC.
Not really potato/potahto. One of the main rules of the BY is know your facts and if an error was pointed out, accept graciously and move on. That said, I don't think Baylor is going to KC. If anything, they will be in Lexington or Spokane. My guess is Spokane.

Reaction Score
Wait! They separate conference schools in brackets? Is that just a P5 thing?

It's in any conference. If a conference has multiple teams in the top 16 seeds then the first 4 have to be placed in different regions. In addition if any 2 same conference teams are in the same region they shouldn't meet until the conference final, if possible.

Here's a link to the NCAA seeding policies and procedures so you can look up things: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18DIWBKB_PreChampMan_20171031.pdf

The section you want is Appendix C

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
M-State/ Baylor in one bracket and ND/UConn in the other. You heard it here first or 43rd or something. but you heard it here first

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

In your humble opinion, who comes out of each region? :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score

OKC to KC = 356 miles (5 hrs 17 min) per Google maps.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Not really potato/potahto. One of the main rules of the BY is know your facts and if an error was pointed out, accept graciously and move on. That said, I don't think Baylor is going to KC. If anything, they will be in Lexington or Spokane. My guess is Spokane.

I was attempting to be playful, not trying to discredit what you said.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
OKC to KC = 356 miles (5 hrs 17 min) per Google maps.

Driving time for Mississippi State fans would be 10 hours vs. 9.5. Baylor fans it'd be 9 hours vs. 4...so a big difference there.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
In your humble opinion, who comes out of each region? :rolleyes:

UCONN is a safe bet.

My money is on ND beating Louisville in the ACC championship, so they'll get Lexington. I think they make it back to the Final Four this year, they've been outstanding since their loss to Louisville.

If Baylor is out west, I think they beat Oregon or whoever they meet up with. Oregon really struggled against McCowan and Brown is better offensively than Teaira. I think Baylor could struggle against UCLA or Stanford in a rematch or against Florida State. Especially if they don't have Wallace. I'd still bet on them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make the semifinals this year without Wallace.

Mississippi State over Louisville.

If it's Mississippi State vs. Baylor, that's a toss up for me, but leaning toward Mississippi State.

Mississippi State vs. Notre Dame...total toss up. Mississippi State is the better team, but Notre Dame is always so dangerous.

Baylor vs. Notre Dame...I'd bet on ND.

Louisville loses to Baylor and Notre Dame. I think they're the weakest of the 5.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UCONN is a safe bet.

My money is on ND beating Louisville in the ACC championship
, so they'll get Lexington. I think they make it back to the Final Four this year, they've been outstanding since their loss to Louisville.

How much you betting? :cool:

Reaction Score
But isn’t it all just a vast wasteland west of the Hudson.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I've heard this song hundreds of times over the years. This is the first time however that I've seen Wilbert Harrison. He doesn't look anything like I pictured him. Muddy Waters use to come in the liquor store I worked at in my youth. I'd see him once or twice a week. His real name was McKinley Morganfield. Thanks for the video. :cool:

Reaction Score
Im not sure Louisville makes it to Sunday.
I thought that's what you meant. I probably wouldn't bet the house on either ND or Louisville in the championship game, but I would that Louisville makes it to Sunday...
upload_2018-2-28_0-17-37.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom