Missing the NCAA the year after winning it --an impressive group of programs. | The Boneyard

Missing the NCAA the year after winning it --an impressive group of programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So add UConn to...

Kentucky
North Carolina
Florida
Kansas
Louisville
Michigan State

That's a darn impressive list of schools. BTW, NC State is on the list too but they don't deserve to be mentioned with those other programs.

Yeah, I would rather have passed up the honor. But when you see this group, you realize it ain't the end of the world.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Hey look, it's our peers!

(Except Duke, cuz they're not our peers. We are better.)

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen stats on what % of minutes left post championship? I know FLA for example basically lost their entire team after going back to back. UCONN lost a lot too, Bazz, DD, NG, and Kromah add TO's minimal minutes too. I would guess maybe 60%.

Reaction Score
I posted this yesterday, but conversely, we have actually won the entire tournament the subsequent season following the last two times we missed the field.

2010 NIT - 2011 National Championship.

2013 Postseason Ban - 2014 National Championship.

It'll be nice to hang banner #5 next year.

Reaction Score
Too much is made of this stat.

Kansas won in '88 and was barred from the tourney the following year because of recruiting violations, but I think everyone else on this list missed the tourney relatively recently, in an age where players jump ship early for the NBA. What can you do if your best players leave?

I'd rather UConn win it all and miss the tourney the following year than make it twice and not win anything.

Reaction Score
I posted this yesterday, but conversely, we have actually won the entire tournament the subsequent season following the last two times we missed the field.

Doomed. DOOMED FOR SURE

Reaction Score

1997 NIT - 1998 E8 - 1999 National Championship

Reaction Score
1988 NIT - 1989 NIT - 1990 E8 - 1991 S16

Oh how patterns don't hold true.
True, but they went from NIT to a Laettner last second shot from being in the Final Four.

And I left out:
2007 - 2008 4seed - 2009 FF

And if we go as far out as you did...

2001 NIT - 2002 E8 -2003 S16 - 2004 NC

Again, pattern isn't perfect by any means. But I have lots of hope. We lack some talent on the back end of the bench, but Purvis and Hamilton, paired with Brimah and Adams, is a talented group.

Reaction Score
I don't think this University can afford right now for these wild swings by the men's basketball each year. From title to NIT. We need to be relevant every year. The football team will be of no help for at least a couple years so it's up to men's basketball to be the driving force. That's why Ollie needed to take advantage of that 2014 run and brand new practice facility. This league is set up for UConn to be an NCAA level team every season if they start recruiting like a program that has 4 National Titles. I saw UConn teams from my time there between 2002-2006 that would have wiped the floor with every team I saw at the AAC the last week. We gotta get it together and start recruiting depth and talent. One of the stories of the years was how ridiculously banged up this team got this year. Ankles, concussions, stress fractures, Calhoun's long slog back from his knee injury. How fitting Boatright goes down in the most important game. Not a very durable team this year. We had teams go through much tougher rugged Big East seasons healthier.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
What about missing the NCAA *and* NIT the year after being the #1 Overall Seed in the NCAA?

2014: Florida

anyone else?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
So add UConn to...

Kentucky
North Carolina
Florida
Kansas
Louisville
Michigan State

That's a darn impressive list of schools. BTW, NC State is on the list too but they don't deserve to be mentioned with those other programs.

Yeah, I would rather have passed up the honor. But when you see this group, you realize it ain't the end of the world.

Pollyanna

Reaction Score
I know i'm the zillionth guy to say it, but the anxiety is directly tied to the conference situation. In the past, I think UConn could afford a few swings. I don't think a swing KILLS them now that they're in the AAC, but the margin for error is less. They can't follow up a season like this one with something similar next year.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
We won four titles in was inevitable that at some point we would have a bad year after winning a title.

Reaction Score
We won four titles in was inevitable that at some point we would have a bad year after winning a title.

well, since we didn't win back to back championships, we kind of had a down year after every championship. We are a cycle, rinse repeat. We don't reload every year with one and done 5 star recruits, so we have to build up to our championships with coaching up our players until we have a experienced team that can do it.

Reaction Score
So add UConn to...

Kentucky
North Carolina
Florida
Kansas
Louisville
Michigan State

This is a dumb post. Don't you have to WIN it all to be on the list?

It's like my neighbor bragging to me "hey, my son got accepted to Yale, look he is in the company of Bill Clinton."

PS. this post has a trace ingredient of sarcasm.

Reaction Score
This is a dumb post. Don't you have to WIN it all to be on the list?

It's like my neighbor bragging to me "hey, my son got accepted to Yale, look he is in the company of Bill Clinton."

PS. this post has a trace ingredient of sarcasm.
I take it you read one post in this thread and decided to post this highly insightful thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom