Miss Valley State Game Preview Video (It's a short one, they aren't very good...) | The Boneyard

Miss Valley State Game Preview Video (It's a short one, they aren't very good...)

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Hey everyone, I put together a quick video taking a look at the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils ahead of tonights match-up in Hartford.

Usually in these breakdown videos I try to find something positive the team does well to look for against us, but with this squad it's just not there.

VIDEO:

Highlights
  • They are ranked 362 / 363 in the KenPom and struggle on both sides of the ball
  • They run really poor offensive sets that relies on a lot of isolation and midrange jump shots
  • Cam Spencer has as many assists as their entire team this year
  • Defensively they play a lot of zone. It looks like a 2-3 zone, but at times I don't think they even know what defense they are in
  • This is their 3rd game of a 13 game criss-cross country road trip to open up the season
  • UConn will win by a lot of points

Reaction Score
They really suck at passing, wow. I hadn't realized just how bad from our other previews. Will be good to try some of the bench guys at the FT line against the zone to see who can make quick reads.

Should be a good opportunity to try different defensive coverages and to get Ross/Solo/Stewart some minutes.

I always kind of wonder what coaches of teams this bad are doing. Like... there's no excuse to run an offense that has no structure. Maybe you're not fast enough to get open, or turn it over too much, but you still have to TRY to run the right stuff.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
They really suck at passing, wow. I hadn't realized just how bad from our other previews. Will be good to try some of the bench guys at the FT line against the zone to see who can make quick reads.

Should be a good opportunity to try different defensive coverages and to get Ross/Solo/Stewart some minutes.

I always kind of wonder what coaches of teams this bad are doing. Like... there's no excuse to run an offense that has no structure. Maybe you're not fast enough to get open, or turn it over too much, but you still have to TRY to run the right stuff.
With a team like Stonehill who is just transitioning to D1 ball, you can at least see the coach has a very defined offensive identity they are trying to establish (in their case, position-less 5 out offense). And even if the guys they get aren’t top tier athletes, they are at least brought in with purpose and coached to fit the system.

This team just looks flat out awful. In this case, their coach apparently also serves as the interim AD for the school, so who knows if his full focus is even on coaching the team at this point. Either way, yikes!

Reaction Score
With a team like Stonehill who is just transitioning to D1 ball, you can at least see the coach has a very defined offensive identity they are trying to establish (in their case, position-less 5 out offense). And even if the guys they get aren’t top tier athletes, they are at least brought in with purpose and coached to fit the system.

This team just looks flat out awful. In this case, their coach apparently also serves as the interim AD for the school, so who knows if his full focus is even on coaching the team at this point. Either way, yikes!

Exactly. Stonehill gets a pass for the next 5 years or so. Yeah, they're never going to be beating UConn, but they could be a middle-of-the-road team in their conference.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Exactly. Stonehill gets a pass for the next 5 years or so. Yeah, they're never going to be beating UConn, but they could be a middle-of-the-road team in their conference.
Yeah they actually finished tied for 2nd last season in the NEC. Just goes to show the value of good coaching…

Reaction Score
What is our largest margin of victory ever? Could it be broken tonight?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom