Miss St Notes | The Boneyard

Miss St Notes

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I'm gonna try to ignore that. The difference in opinion between ESPN and SEC coaches is too vast to take the coaches seriously.

It's true McCray is a newbie, but I think we're more loaded in every position than Arkansas or A&M. And Kentucky probably stays as good as they were, don't see them making some giant leap. New coach, vast shooting woes at long stretches of time... that's not considering they've lost more than even we have. Their 3rd and 4th leading scorers, and the only one that's really significant a loss for us is Danberry.

Reaction Score
All the other coaches are saying “show me” and they remember their own first year.

Reaction Score
I realize the ball can bounce in funny ways but no way MSST is not better this year than last year. Yes, we will miss Vic but this years team has the talent and depth to make the final four. We play South Carolina and Kentucky at home and Texas A&M and Arkansas away. Certainly South Carolina will be our toughest opponent and I predict The MSST/South Carolina game winner will be the SEC regular season champion.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna try to ignore that. The difference in opinion between ESPN and SEC coaches is too vast to take the coaches seriously.

It's true McCray is a newbie, but I think we're more loaded in every position than Arkansas or A&M. And Kentucky probably stays as good as they were, don't see them making some giant leap. New coach, vast shooting woes at long stretches of time... that's not considering they've lost more than even we have. Their 3rd and 4th leading scorers, and the only one that's really significant a loss for us is Danberry.
From my understanding. Myah Taylor may take a big leap offensively. If that's true. I see them being better

Reaction Score
I realize the ball can bounce in funny ways but no way MSST is not better this year than last year. Yes, we will miss Vic but this years team has the talent and depth to make the final four. We play South Carolina and Kentucky at home and Texas A&M and Arkansas away. Certainly South Carolina will be our toughest opponent and I predict The MSST/South Carolina game winner will be the SEC regular season champion.

I'm kinda sking a rhetorical question, but I don't know the answer.

How many first year coaches have taken a team to the Final Four?

Now, I understand that y'all's situation is different than the huge majority of first year coaches because the new coach is inheriting a bunch of talent. Nevertheless, I think Ms. State will not be at this level in McCray's first year -especially since you have to add in Covid "weirdness" that may have hampered the team/coach bonding process.

Will McCray be successful? I think yes.
Will she attain final four level in her first year? I doubt it but hope so as long as we are there too. It would be nice to play three times this season.

Reaction Score

Being loaded and being able to coach a loaded team are 2 different things. Am I saying McCray will bomb, nope. Not at all, but I'm pretty sure no one saw Warwick, with numerous loaded teams, explode.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Being loaded and being able to coach a loaded team are 2 different things. Am I saying McCray will bomb, nope. Not at all, but I'm pretty sure no one saw Warwick, with numerous loaded teams, explode.
Its possible and your guess is as good as mine. All Im saying is its hard to imagine finishing below Kentucky, A&M, and Arkansas. The first 2 teams...year in and year out get predicted to do way better than their final record. I just dont see A&M and Kentucky suddenly getting any better to overtake a team that has gone 13-3 in the SEC 4 straight years. I can see Arkansas and Tennessee taking a leap tho.

Reaction Score
I'm kinda sking a rhetorical question, but I don't know the answer.

How many first year coaches have taken a team to the Final Four?

Now, I understand that y'all's situation is different than the huge majority of first year coaches because the new coach is inheriting a bunch of talent. Nevertheless, I think Ms. State will not be at this level in McCray's first year -especially since you have to add in Covid "weirdness" that may have hampered the team/coach bonding process.

Will McCray be successful? I think yes.
Will she attain final four level in her first year? I doubt it but hope so as long as we are there too. It would be nice to play three times this season.
I realize this will sound ridiculous but I see McCray as being a better fit for this team than Vic. Vic‘s coaching stressed inside offense, full court defense, and rebounding and he was successful, from what I have heard Nikki plans to stress outside offense and getting back to defend, we may even see some zone. We have shooters this year and we still have tough post play. I hope we see a more wide open game with this years team because I think we have the players to make that work, time will tell but I am optimistic.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If it's true that MissSt will go from an inside/full court team to an outside/halfcourt team then there has to be a period of adjustment as veteran players learn a new system and recruits who can succeed in that style are brought in.

Reaction Score
If it's true that MissSt will go from an inside/full court team to an outside/halfcourt team then there has to be a period of adjustment as veteran players learn a new system and recruits who can succeed in that style are brought in.
Agree with what you said but some State friends say the team has adjusted nicely to the new coach. Practice is quite different than a real game so time will tell if the adjustments hold GAME TIME! I just hope we get to play according to the new schedule without Covid interruptions.

Reaction Score
I'm glad the MSST fans have confidence in their team. I don't ever recall a year when a brand new coach was able to have success with a team. Especially when moving up in class. It is very difficult.
I tend to be pessimistic with these things sometimes and believe we have a quality team. I also believe it's a completely different world with a new coach and there is much to learn. I don't think we are 5 in the SEC but I will be the first to admit the top 6 in the SEC aren't too shabby. SC of course is at the top but I think KY (who has their own transition but Kyra has been part of the program for years) is ripe for the number two spot if their talent plays to potential. I think UT will be better and transfers will help A&M and Ark.

Truthfully I just hope we have a somewhat normal season and the ladies on all the top teams get to show their talents.

Reaction Score
I personally believe Miss St is one of the final four teams. I’m going to go out on a limb and say Jackson can challenge Howard for SEC player of the year; she’s a year older and she did pretty well as a freshman (15 something points I think.) Nikki McCray said that she challenged Myah Taylor and retrained her to score rather than being a 100% facilitator. Then they have Mingo-Young, Wiggins, Matharu who all can shoot and are pretty good guards. Wiggins will probably finally get more playing time to show what she can do. Then Cooks who is no slouch and Jessika Carter who can be all SEC first team. They also have Morris and the newcomers. I think South Carolina, UConn, Miss St and Stanford/Baylor/Louisville. I’m not sold on Stanford for some reason.

Reaction Score
Considering they have one of the top 5 coaches in the NCAA I have no clue on this statement. McCray has done nothing.
Not about McCray, it’s about the personnel she has to work with. She also has been on Dawn’s staff for much of their success so she has a chance to know what South Carolina will do. Just like you have an opinion I have one. Stanford’s roster doesn’t scare me.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
And for those who don't know, Knisha Godfrey has enrolled early and will be available to play starting the conference slate.

We have 6 guards, and I think we have the best guard play in the SEC apart from Arkansas.

Reaction Score
I think Arkansas will be the surprise (to the upside) team in the SEC this year

I could see it but Kentucky is intriguing for me despite losing Mitchell. Howard now has a dramatically better supporting cast than last year.Chastity Patterson grew into her own at the end of last year. Dre’Una edwards, former pac 12 freshmen of the year is now available. They added treasure hunt, a very talented and highly touted freshmen. Just as big, Olivia Owens and Robyn Benton are also cleared and immediately eligible to play.

I’m not saying Kentucky is a sure thing but from a talent and potential standpoint, they have the pieces to be a very potent team. I think not having to ride Howard so much this year will make them much more dangerous.

Reaction Score
When you have Rhyne Howard you have a shot at the title with the right pieces around you. I think Kentucky have that. I'm a little worried about their coaching just like I am about MSST.

Reaction Score
Not about McCray, it’s about the personnel she has to work with. She also has been on Dawn’s staff for much of their success so she has a chance to know what South Carolina will do. Just like you have an opinion I have one. Stanford’s roster doesn’t scare me.
I dont think Dawn coaches like she did in 2017 anymore-she has adapted to her talent. Her team is more guard oriented than big oriented if that makes sense.

Reaction Score
I could see it but Kentucky is intriguing for me despite losing Mitchell. Howard now has a dramatically better supporting cast than last year.Chastity Patterson grew into her own at the end of last year. Dre’Una edwards, former pac 12 freshmen of the year is now available. They added treasure hunt, a very talented and highly touted freshmen. Just as big, Olivia Owens and Robyn Benton are also cleared and immediately eligible to play.

I’m not saying Kentucky is a sure thing but from a talent and potential standpoint, they have the pieces to be a very potent team. I think not having to ride Howard so much this year will make them much more dangerous.
The additions you mentioned is why I think KY is the likely number 2 team in the league. MSU has some questions, talent may not be one of them but how that talent responds to McCray is. That's why I'm a little cautious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom