Miss St Game Up For "Best Upset" Award | The Boneyard

Miss St Game Up For "Best Upset" Award

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This is according to a new article in the Hartford Courant. I won't attempt to link it. The competitors are Clemson's football win over Alabama, and somebody's tennis win over Novak Djokovic.

I am not sure whether a proper UConn fan should be proud of this or not. Considering that it broke a 111 game winning streak, I am inclined to say that it should.

I wonder if it will actually be picked.

Reaction Score
I would pick Clemson over Alabama :) SEC football media days are talking about it today.
I think Clemson was just better than Alabama. Deshaun Watson carved up Alabama's NFL-caliber defense in the previous year's championship game for 405 years passing and 4 touchdowns, just barely losing 45-40, and it looked like they were going to win that game. So when Clemson did beat them this year it wasn't a big upset to me.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Clemson's win wasn't that much of an upset.
A lot of people thought Alabama winning the championship. That it was a forgone conclusion. Because they were called the best team in the country.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A lot of people thought Alabama winning the championship. That it was a forgone conclusion. Because they were called the best team in the country.

Well they thought wrong :p Guess they forgot about the previous years title game which went down to the wire :cool:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well they thought wrong :p Guess they forgot about the previous years title game which went down to the wire :cool:
I know your happy that a ACC team won. I don't like Alabama so I'm happy they lost.

Reaction Score
There was a 6 point betting spread, but I think "foregone conclusion" was only in SEC minds. SEC has really taken a step back. For a while it was really deep with a half dozen or so really good football programs - Auburn, LSU, Florida, etc. Now it's really just Alabama. ACC & B1G have passed them by.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There was a 6 point betting spread, but I think "foregone conclusion" was only in SEC minds. SEC has really taken a step back. For a while it was really deep with a half dozen or so really good football programs - Auburn, LSU, Florida, etc. Now it's really just Alabama. ACC & B1G have passed them by.

Tennessee has won three bowl games. Thar were against B1G teams.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has won three bowl games. Thar were against B1G teams.
Sorry - forgot about TN. They were good back in the 1900's. NC in 1998? Were pretty good when Peyton was there too, but he never won it all if I remember right.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Sorry - forgot about TN. They were good back in the 1900's. NC in 1998? Were pretty good when Peyton was there too, but he never won it all if I remember right.
No problem. Yes Peyton was great. They won the Title the year after he left.

Reaction Score
This is according to a new article in the Hartford Courant. I won't attempt to link it. The competitors are Clemson's football win over Alabama, and somebody's tennis win over Novak Djokovic.

I am not sure whether a proper UConn fan should be proud of this or not. Considering that it broke a 111 game winning streak, I am inclined to say that it should.

I wonder if it will actually be picked.

111 seems a Uconn number--isn't that the same number of BE Wins Uconn had before BE fifth rank Boston College defeated a Geno Uconn team on Gampel Court???

Uconn does not bow it's head nor does it deny Miss St WBB team won the NCAA final 4 against UConn. It is what it is--disaster--heck no--wake up call--heck yes. Will Miss St defeat Uconn in the next meeting---???? That is for David and Oldude to say!! Or you JoePgh!! Please note: At no time do I say Uconn lost--they just didn't win.

I think Miss St should be picked--of all the improbably, unexpected wins in WBB College history this is right there on top..

Reaction Score
The team Miss. St. beat only had a 36 game winning streak. I think
UConn's dismembering of Oregon in the regional finals may have caused a lot of
folks to think UConn was unbeatable. But anyone who saw the UCLA game,
not to mention the Tulane game, knew that UConn, while very good, was no
juggernaut. The MSU game was an upset, but not a huge one IMO.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Look at the Las Vegas odds. Very scientific

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

The SEC's problem the last few years has been their QB play. The ACC was the best conference last year because they had the best collection of QB's in college football. Unfortunately... most of them are gone to the NFL .. ... so we will take a step back this year. The exception to that is FSU. If they get by Bama Labor Day weekend....... they should run the table.

Reaction Score
It was definitely the biggest upset. An undefeated team on a 111 game winning streak that beat miss st by 60 the previous year. Need i say more?
No attack here AJ but this comment is bizarre...Again as a fellow fan no malice but in any sport at any level do you think the roster was the same as the previous year? To think this was the biggest upset in sports, you must have missed the Tulane game and a few others.

BINGO !!! We have a winner!!
Always amazing how the players and other coaches suck up anything and everything Geno has to say, but the fans? In denial..... .A tough loss to the end of a VERY successful season. Not sure why folks can't simply give Miss St credit for their win and move on. Far from any greatest upset ever...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wasnt even watching the ESPYs... all of a sudden the ESPN notification sound on my phone went off..... telling me that Miss State won. Odd that it didnt alert me for any other awards tonight :confused:

Reaction Score
Yes good for them I am glad to see their team get the notoriety.... Vic S did such a good job with that team....

Hated us to lose the game.... but was happy for Ms St

Reaction Score
No attack here AJ but this comment is bizarre...Again as a fellow fan no malice but in any sport at any level do you think the roster was the same as the previous year? To think this was the biggest upset in sports, you must have missed the Tulane game and a few others.

BINGO !!! We have a winner!!
Always amazing how the players and other coaches suck up anything and everything Geno has to say, but the fans? In denial..... .A tough loss to the end of a VERY successful season. Not sure why folks can't simply give Miss St credit for their win and move on. Far from any greatest upset ever...

I guess the espys and the rest of the world felt the same way as me!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom