Misc. UConn baseball info | The Boneyard

Misc. UConn baseball info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Spoke to someone close to the program today and found out a few things. Billy Ferriter and Ryan Moore are both going to play in the Cape Cod league for Falmouth. BF will obviously play the OF while RM will be used mostly as a pitcher. Both were undrafted and are looking to come back next year. The only way they don't come back is if they play well enough to get signed as free agents over the summer. I was convinced that BF was out of eligibility but I guess he is a red-shirt jr with a year left. Looks like Moore will be one of the captains next year and he will be used as a setup man or closer. This is if they can find a replacement for him in RF. Was told Mazzilli's stock dropped because his agent was looking for more than the slot money that would have been available. He supposedly has the same agent as Derek Jeter ( is that Scott Boras ?). There is a slight chance he comes back to UConn, but will probably sign with Twins. Also was told that Aceto, DeBellis and Friel are probably not coming back next year for different reasons.

Reaction Score
Thanks.

DeBellis would be a sizable loss, although we seem to have a fair amount of depth at catcher. David was pretty good this year as a freshman. Still, I like Debellis' bat a lot.

Reaction Score
Too bad about DeBellis. Looks like catcher will be between McDowell, David & Melley.
Ward & Cross are also listed for the Cape. Catalina, Mahoney, Slade, David, & Yavaronne are slated for the NE Collegiate league.
Kirmin, Testani, & Healey to the Atlantic league.
Nothing on Marzi, Butler, Tabakmann, Jolin or Verdi regarding summer plans.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Back end of the bullpen could be shaky next year if Feehan can't rebound with a very strong season. He has a good power repertoire and could definitely have a good year with better control though. College players often grow by leaps and bounds from year to year so there is definitely hope. Having Vance and then Oberg as closers the last few years has been excellent, gotta hope we can develop another closer. Moore developing as a setup man or closer would be huge. Add him to Feehan and Jolin and we should have a decent group in the pen. Also, hopefully Paul improves enough that he can play RF every day.

DeBellis leaving would be a big loss. Supposedly we have highly touted Catcher coming in so hopefully he can slide in and play along side David. Aceto and Friel didn't quite perform the way I'm sure they would have liked. Perhaps they're transferring to play against a slightly lower level of competition or just to get a change of scenery for more PT.

If Mazzilli comes back this team could be very good all of a sudden. I put it at under 10% chance though if I had to guess. I would have put it lower if it wasn't for your source saying he dropped because he wanted more money. Maybe he comes back for one more year to try to claw into the top 5 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom