Minutes allocation | The Boneyard

Minutes allocation

Reaction Score
After 4 games. How do you guys see the minutes allocation panning out?

Alterique 30
Jalen Adams 30
Tarin Smith 25
Eric Cobb 25
Diarra 20
Carlton 20
Wilson 20
Vital 15
Polley 10
Adams 5
I don’t see Yawke, Anderson, or Whaley, getting minutes

Reaction Score
Williams will get a few minutes, as will Whaley. I see Polley averaging 12-15 minutes minimum. And I think Vital will average more thghan 15 minutes despite his propensity to drive me nuts.

Reaction Score
Williams will get a few minutes, as will Whaley.
Williams will get nothing once Wilson and Diarra come back besides walk-on ones at the end of the game. Whaley I feel bad for as he could contribute on defense but just don't see him getting much either once Diarra(gives more offense and just as good on D) and Wilson come back. Definitely agree Yawke should never see the floor once they come in as he gives you almost nothing but some fouls.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Alterique 30
Jalen Adams 30
Tarin Smith 25
Eric Cobb 25
Diarra 20
Carlton 20
Wilson 20
Vital 15
Polley 10
Adams 5

This is something I think about every year.

I think that three guards will be on the floor at all times. With the pressure defensive style they want to play, all five guards will get minutes. The issue will be balancing the need to give Brendan Adams minutes with his minutes probably coming from Vital's.

Wilson and Polley will share the minutes at the #4. Cobb, Diarra and Carlton will share minutes at the #5.

In the aftermath of Iowa's matchup problems, if we do go "big", it'd be at the expense of Vital and B. Adams and to the benefit of Diarra, Polley and Wilson.

Time will tell. The more folks that he can count on, the better Coach Hurley will like it. Fresh legs at all times and the ability to withstand foul trouble will be of great assistance to us.

Reaction Score
Cobb will play more, Carlton less. Yakwe is useless so far. When Wilson is back and Diarra, some guys will lose minutes they are getting now, no question.

Reaction Score
Im confused by the Yakwe negativity. I mean hes not on the level of somebody like Shonn Miller, but I would take him over Onourah in a second from what Ive seen so far. Seems like Hurley plays him about 10 mins a game and when hes in there he grabs a few rebounds and scores a few points in that limited amount of time.

Reaction Score
Im confused by the Yakwe negativity. I mean hes not on the level of somebody like Shonn Miller, but I would take him over Onourah in a second from what Ive seen so far. Seems like Hurley plays him about 10 mins a game and when hes in there he grabs a few rebounds and scores a few points in that limited amount of time.

He completely lacks awareness on defense. Helps when he shouldn't often. Causes turnovers. The guy looks completely lost out there. I'm sitting there during the cuse game surrounded by orange and try loved yakwe. The less he has to play the better off we are.

Reaction Score
Lol @ Vital getting 15. Some UConn fans are completely delusional or just haters, Vital is as important a player as we have, since he’s actually a proven shooter.
I like Vital. Plays hard all the time. Yes, he jacks up some shots he shouldn’t take, but he is an important player.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I like Vital. Plays hard all the time. Yes, he jacks up some shots he shouldn’t take, but he is an important player.
Vital’s problem is that his entire game offensively is based on getting his own shot. He does play good aggressive D and rebounds well, and that earns him some minutes. But I am so tired of seeing him drive 1 on 3 and force a poor shot when there are passes available.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The main issue with Yakwe is just that his size is going to be a real problem when we try to use him down low against most teams.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Vital’s problem is that his entire game offensively is based on getting his own shot. He does play good aggressive D and rebounds well, and that earns him some minutes. But I am so tired of seeing him drive 1 on 3 and force a poor shot when there are passes available.

...aside from the UMKC game, he's been doing a pretty good job of finding the open man on the break and kicking it out to others when in the halfcourt this year.

Reaction Score
The main issue with Yakwe is just that his size is going to be a real problem when we try to use him down low against most teams.

Size is not the issue.

His lack of bbiq and offensive skill set are. Either of those can make a smaller player seem bigger. He's plenty strong and athletic

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams played 38 and 37 minutes on back-to-back nights (part of the reason his shots didn't fall against Iowa), so I think he'll play 33-34 minutes/game going forward. Those extra minutes probably come from Smith. I don't think Diarra plays 20 min. a game since his chronic knee condition will limit him, and Polley/Whaley pick up a couple more minutes each.
With 12 guys looking for minutes, it's going to be a challenge for Coach Hurley to keep everyone happy. While most teams look to trim the rotation to 8-9 players, I think Hurley can use 10 to try to keep the players fresh using the pressing style of defense.
Someone above thinks Vital will get more than 15 per game, but if he does, where do those minutes come from?

Reaction Score

Alterique 30
Jalen Adams 30
Tarin Smith 25
Eric Cobb 25
Diarra 20
Carlton 20
Wilson 20
Vital 15
Polley 10
Adams 5
B.Adams should be getting more minutes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
B.Adams should be getting more minutes.
I think B Adams will be good but not now against the better teams
I look forward to him playing minutes and being successful vs the next 3 teams
He looked a deer in the headlights vs Cuse and Iowa
As I said, I think he will be a good player down the road

Reaction Score
Minute allocation is going to be dictated by game play and fouls. If a particular player is hot from the three point line, he is staying in the game and getting minutes. If someone is turning the ball over he comes out. With the big men, usually fouls determine when they come out. It will vary from game to game.

Reaction Score
Yawke(so far) is better than onuwurah, but he has not been playing great at all and I’m a bit disappointed in what I’ve seen so far. I didn’t expect anything offensively , but he has not been much of a stopper down low. Right now, he’s pretty much a little better version of onuwurah.

Reaction Score
Vital kills me. So damn erratic. 75% of the time he drives me crazy. He’s too much. He needs to reign it in a bit

Reaction Score
I kno we re only 4 games in , but it still seems like I’m watching the same vital as last year- save for couple nice drive and kick passes that he would not have made last year. I’ll leave him alone now but I hope he tightens it up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom