Minnesota @ Nebraska - 1/19/21 | The Boneyard

Minnesota @ Nebraska - 1/19/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Lincoln, NE - 4:00 PM ET
TV: Big Ten Network (Larry Punteney, Brenda VanLengen)

Video stream:
Watch BTN Live | Stream Games & Shows on BTN | FOX Sports (tvpli)

Audio:

Live stats:

Reaction Score
Minnesota ready and playing some pretty good basketball lately. I like our chances. Go, Gophers!!

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I have become a believer in Nebraska. They have it going on now.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, I don't know about being a believer in Nebraska based on 3 of the teams they beat that have been over-rated anyway (NW, tOSU and Mich State), though their close game against Michigan is eye catching. I am interested in seeing this game as two programs who touted their coaching hires to see if one school asserts itself over the other, which I voted as Nebraska....

Reaction Score
The Huskers have had three excellent performances in conference in a row. Kate Cain's 22 points and Double-Double reflect a lack of potential achieved by the Husker center. That said the plodding Cain does clog up the middle. If she's able to score anywhere near the last game I think the Huskers will be looking good.

Earlier in the season some BYers questioned Amy Williams. At least in my mind those questions have been put to rest by the excellent performance of the Huskers of late.

Looking forward to this game. There really is a clear edge for the Huskers so I'm looking for a double digit victory

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Minnesota ready and playing some pretty good basketball lately. I like our chances. Go, Gophers!!

SB nation takes a different view of Minnesota's recent performance. In spite of the Huskers short bench I think this should be a game they should win easily.

Reaction Score
"Nebraska's Kate Cain produced the most dominant performance of her Husker career against the Buckeyes to earn Big Ten Player-of-the-Week honors (Jan. 18). The 6-5 center from Middletown, N.Y., matched her career high with 22 points to go with 12 rebounds and nine blocks. Cain just missed her second career triple-double, and her nine blocks tied the second-best total in NU history, trailing only her 11 blocks as a freshman in a triple-double effort against Florida Atlantic."

Nice overview of the Huskers. At 6 foot 5 cane is a shot blocker and is this overview reports she's number 3 in the NCAA for blocks. She's going to have to play additional minutes and hopefully we'll be able to maintain energy throughout the game.

I think I would disagree with the observation about the quality of Huskers recent in conference opponents. With that said I'm sure we could all agree that the last two weeks opponents have been of a higher quality than the Gophers.

Reaction Score
5 minutes into the game it's easy to see Kate Cain's strengths and weaknesses. She does get a block and hits a turnaround jumper in the paint. However on the first bucket of the game Minnesota drew her out of the paint for a jump shot. Cain has such limited mobility and for 6.5 player really can't get off the floor.

After a slow start the Huskers are hitting from the perimeter which I think would open up the rest of the game for Cain in the paint.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Nebraska's Kate Cain produced the most dominant performance of her Husker career against the Buckeyes to earn Big Ten Player-of-the-Week honors (Jan. 18). The 6-5 center from Middletown, N.Y., matched her career high with 22 points to go with 12 rebounds and nine blocks. Cain just missed her second career triple-double, and her nine blocks tied the second-best total in NU history, trailing only her 11 blocks as a freshman in a triple-double effort against Florida Atlantic."

Nice overview of the Huskers. At 6 foot 5 cane is a shot blocker and is this overview reports she's number 3 in the NCAA for blocks. She's going to have to play additional minutes and hopefully we'll be able to maintain energy throughout the game.

I think I would disagree with the observation about the quality of Huskers recent in conference opponents. With that said I'm sure we could all agree that the last two weeks opponents have been of a higher quality than the Gophers.
Go Kate! I've been biggin up this girl for years! So happy for her! She was originally a University Of Delaware commit but was let out of her commitment when the Delaware coach retire prior to the start of the season. I was hoping UCONN would take a look at her at that time but it never happened. She could have been that rugged rebounding inside shot blocking presence that UCONN has been missing for a few years now.

Reaction Score
While it's easy to see Cain's limitations in the first quarter lack of mobility and for the life of me I don't know why they would let her touch the ball at the top of the arc. The steel by her former teammate Mershon is no surprise.

With the short bench Huskers are looking good. Minnesota certainly has a long long way to go Hope Whalen has an incoming class that can help them next year.

Reaction Score
Strong second quarter by the Gophers as they hit the boards hard. Mershon also gave them real quality minutes off the bench against her former teammates. I'm not sure why Amy Williams insists on trying to run so much offense through Cain at the top of the arc.

Reaction Score
Entertaining game. Huskers may be in trouble by allowing the Gophers to hang around. As a high volume three point shooting team Minnesota can certainly cause trouble in a close game down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Looks like the Huskers finally woke up. Four offensive rebounds in a row before Sam Haiby s fouled and hits both free throws. Still this game is a little too close for comfort.

Reaction Score
Powell ties the game at 64 with the drive full length. Final five minutes will be revealing. Unimpressed with Husker defense and Lindsay Whalen needs to be complimented for having her team ready to go on the road.

Reaction Score
64-64 with 4:49 left
Hard to say which way this game will swing.
Powell’s been stepping up lately.

Reaction Score
Huskers have to look in the mirror on this one. Total failure to defend at the perimeter. Also Lindsay Whalen really put together a great game plan and she should be complimented. Minnesota launches 32 3-pointers game winner hits 40 plus percent from beyond The Arc as Huskers never really show any ability to defend.

Reaction Score
76-71 MIN final

Hubbard 18 pts, 7 reb, 1 ast in 32 min

Woo hoo! Only one voter sage enough to pick Minnesota in this one. Wonder who that was?

It wasn’t all homerism. I thought the Gophers looked suddenly better in their last game against Maryland. They lost by under 20 pts. I thought if they put that kind of effort against any other team in the league, they would probably win. So why not Nebraska?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Much needed win for Minnesota, gotta be considered a bad loss for Nebraska.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very nice smile by Lindsay with her teams clutch shots at the end. Would be nice if she can turn it around.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have become a believer in Nebraska. They have it going on now.
My faith was apparently misplaced.
You really set yourself up for this one.

This result is so starkly at odds with Minnesota's performance this entire season and with Nebraska's performance over the past 3 weeks.

Reaction Score
You really set yourself up for this one.

This result is so starkly at odds with Minnesota's performance this entire season and with Nebraska's performance over the past 3 weeks.
Nebraska is one of the B1G’s more inconsistent teams, a trend that very much predates this season.

They have capable players and can be counted on for a few decent upsets, but also seem to lose to teams they have no business falling to.

Haiby seems to have really taken a step forward this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom