Minnesota Lynx @ Phoenix Mercury - 7/21/18 | The Boneyard

Minnesota Lynx @ Phoenix Mercury - 7/21/18

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Both Taurasi and Bonner have made shots from nearly 30’.

Reaction Score
DT with 14 for Phoenix, Bonner with 16.

You forgot to say Taurasi was ejected.

Unless one of those 2 technicals from tonight are rescinded (a real possibility), Taurasi should be suspended for the next game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You forgot to say Taurasi was ejected.

Unless one of those 2 technicals from tonight are rescinded (a real possibility), Taurasi should be suspended for the next game.
Oh wow...didn't see that. Just looked at the box score quickly. Not familiar with technicals being rescinded...has this happened before and what was the reason for the ejection? Lots of techs this year in the W from games I've seen. Players/coaches seem to have shorter fuses with refs' calls.

Reaction Score
Refs aren’t taking ish from the players this season.

Reaction Score
More and more players are becoming vocal in their reactions to the incompetent refs calls! And the BIG NAMES in the league are pushing back and it will progress till the players/coaches get a reaction from the heads of the WNBA to do something! When the crap hits the fan who is the League going to back the players/coaches or the refs?
This should have been dealt with years ago but the League pays basically nothing for officials and they get what they pay for!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More and more players are becoming vocal in their reactions to the incompetent refs calls! And the BIG NAMES in the league are pushing back and it will progress till the players/coaches get a reaction from the heads of the WNBA to do something! When the crap hits the fan who is the League going to back the players/coaches or the refs?
This should have been dealt with years ago but the League pays basically nothing for officials and they get what they pay for!

What is there to deal with. The money is not going to change.The league can't pay the players so how can they justify paying the refs more and where is this magical pool of talented refs going to come from anyway. In the end, no matter how bad some refs can be, as long as their is no bias, it evens out and players and fans will have to live with it. It is up to DT to stay in the game. Her importance to her team is immeasurable and she was so hot to start the game. Regarding the play, Maya and DT are pushing in the post and the call is 50/50 imho but then she rolls around and does a somersault on the ground. And with the Mercury taking on water late in the season, DT needs to control her temper better. Would Geno allow this? Uurgh.

And if you want to go after a ref, let your coach do it. They are expendable.

And if by other BIG NAMES, you mean Cambage with her famous "bug eyes" expression leading to her ejection. she deserved it and she has taken over as the leader in crying about fouls in a close race with CP3.

Reaction Score
And if by other BIG NAMES, you mean Cambage with her famous "bug eyes" expression leading to her ejection. she deserved it and she has taken over as the leader in crying about fouls in a close race with CP3.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking this watching the wings play on Friday. Cambage was getting called for the same fouls the other team was getting called for. She complained about every fouled called on her. I hate that. My daughter would do that when she was younger. I told her the ref isn’t gonna change his mind so stop complaining.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And if by other BIG NAMES, you mean Cambage with her famous "bug eyes" expression leading to her ejection. she deserved it and she has taken over as the leader in crying about fouls in a close race with CP3.

I was thinking this watching the wings play on Friday. Cambage was getting called for the same fouls the other team was getting called for. She complained about every fouled called on her. I hate that. My daughter would do that when she was younger. I told her the ref isn’t gonna change his mind so stop complaining.[/QUOTE]

Cambage seems to have adopted a victim mentality based on the idea that since she is so big, players are allowed to defend her more vigorously than otherwise. What ever happened to the idea of fighting through challenges. I know, old fashioned. :(

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dee objected to a foul call, tripped and fell and the referee thought she was rolling on the ground intentionally to protest the call. Dee's reputation cost her there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And if by other BIG NAMES, you mean Cambage with her famous "bug eyes" expression leading to her ejection. she deserved it and she has taken over as the leader in crying about fouls in a close race with CP3.[/QUOTE]

Amen. That history is wide and deep.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The media reaction to last night's game was pretty strong.

Reaction Score
What is there to deal with. The money is not going to change.The league can't pay the players so how can they justify paying the refs more and where is this magical pool of talented refs going to come from anyway. In the end, no matter how bad some refs can be, as long as their is no bias, it evens out and players and fans will have to live with it. It is up to DT to stay in the game. Her importance to her team is immeasurable and she was so hot to start the game. Regarding the play, Maya and DT are pushing in the post and the call is 50/50 imho but then she rolls around and does a somersault on the ground. And with the Mercury taking on water late in the season, DT needs to control her temper better. Would Geno allow this? Uurgh.

And if you want to go after a ref, let your coach do it. They are expendable.

eebmg- - - Your're right! My idea is get a supervisor of officials that is not a former ref in the league or college ranks, say an ex NBA ref that just retired that has no ties to the WNBA that isn't buddies with the present roster of officials and have him evaluate the officials and fine them or suspend them if they don't perform up to standards!
Please don't mistake my comments for backing the players behavior! They are childish and wrong also, but my point is that after all these years of incompetent calls the players/coaches feel they have no recourse but to make a scene to draw attention to the lack of ability these refs have! If the player gets 7 technical fouls they have to sit out the next game and in this highly competitive race each team cannot afford to lose a player, especially a STAR player to sitting out!
WCBB refs are bad also but are no where near as bad as WNBA refs are!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
DT is the best but she has to be smarter with her emotions. Refs have to maintain some level of order. Refs do not want to boot star players. And regarding what the fans want to see. Maybe some sportsmanship. Maybe this is a good lesson before the playoffs. In a 1 game playoff, she could knock the team out for the year if she loses control.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
eebmg- - - Your're right! My idea is get a supervisor of officials that is not a former ref in the league or college ranks, say an ex NBA ref that just retired that has no ties to the WNBA that isn't buddies with the present roster of officials and have him evaluate the officials and fine them or suspend them if they don't perform up to standards!
Please don't mistake my comments for backing the players behavior! They are childish and wrong also, but my point is that after all these years of incompetent calls the players/coaches feel they have no recourse but to make a scene to draw attention to the lack of ability these refs have! If the player gets 7 technical fouls they have to sit out the next game and in this highly competitive race each team cannot afford to lose a player, especially a STAR player to sitting out!
WCBB refs are bad also but are no where near as bad as WNBA refs are!
Hey. Do whatever you can to grade refs. It will not change. The players have already caught the complaining bug. If i had kids, I would not bring them to see complaints after almost every foul call.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Lindsay Whalen played 8 minutes last night. She committed 3 fouls and 3 turnovers.

Fortunately Danielle Robinson played well but she is not the answer.

What a difference a year makes.

Reaction Score
Last night's game was the roughest I've seen. It was extremely physical--the players were being very rough on each other. Sorry, but I think someone like DT should show better sportsmanship than she did.

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen this game posted online somewhere? The games usually show up online within a couple days but this game hasn’t been posted, just highlights. Thanks!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom