Minnesota High School Game Ends 17-4 | The Boneyard

Minnesota High School Game Ends 17-4

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
On Tuesday Waseca beat Marshall 17-4 in a real barn burner. Marshall trailed 5-0 and decided to sit on the ball...for 18 minutes.

It's unclear whether Central Florida reps were at the game for scouting purposes.

Taking advantage of playing in a state with no shot clock in high school hoops, the visitors made it known from the start that they intended to milk the clock as long as they possibly could. As Southernminn.com reports, the visiting Tigers were initially unable to complete any passes, trailing 5-0 midway through the first half.

And that was when Marshall slowed the game to a near halt.

From Southernminn.com:

Not only did a true Minnesota kids’ game of “Duck, Duck, Grey Duck” break out among the cheerleaders, but synchronized swaying and chanting kept the crowd in the game.

Minn. girls basketball team stalls, scores just four points in loss

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Geez... Two touchdowns and a fieldgoal on one side; two safeties on the other. What an "offensive" display of skill.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I assume Marshall was badly overmatched, but you have to wonder what lesson their coach was trying to teach the players. “When the odds are against you, just stop playing?”

Reaction Score
On Tuesday Waseca beat Marshall 17-4 in a real barn burner. Marshall trailed 5-0 and decided to sit on the ball...for 18 minutes.

It's unclear whether Central Florida reps were at the game for scouting purposes.

Taking advantage of playing in a state with no shot clock in high school hoops, the visitors made it known from the start that they intended to milk the clock as long as they possibly could. As Southernminn.com reports, the visiting Tigers were initially unable to complete any passes, trailing 5-0 midway through the first half.

From Southernminn.com:

Not only did a true Minnesota kids’ game of “Duck, Duck, Grey Duck” break out among the cheerleaders, but synchronized swaying and chanting kept the crowd in the game.

Confirms the notion that great defense always wins!

Reaction Score
I assume Marshall was badly overmatched, but you have to wonder what lesson their coach was trying to teach the players. “When the odds are against you, just stop playing?”

Um no. The strategy is: when you are playing a potent offense you need to shorten the game by limiting the other teams possessions. This is done all the time in sports. Including the Giants over the Bills in 1991.

I'm not sure it's a great idea in this case - sounds like a terrible game - but hardly an unprecedented strategy.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Um no. The strategy is: when you are playing a potent offense you need to shorten the game by limiting the other teams possessions. This is done all the time in sports. Including the Giants over the Bills in 1991.

I'm not sure it's a great idea in this case - sounds like a terrible game - but hardly an unprecedented strategy.
Yes, I understand the strategy. I grew up in an era when Dean Smith’s “4 corners offense” was a real strategy, and Smith used to implement the 4 corners against lesser teams when the Tar Heels were ahead. I didn’t like Smith’s offense anymore than I like a HS coach taking the air out of the ball so their team doesn’t suffer a bad defeat. Neither Smith’s UNC or the Marshall HS girls team were playing a game that resembled basketball as I learned to play it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Geno will not be recruiting players from those 2 teams
Dunno. Any team that can hold the ball for such extended stretches might have a super ball handler.

Funny thing is, one of the most famous games is UConn men’s hoops history was the slow down game against URI in the 1970s after several key players had been suspended after allegations of theft that turned out to be false. And it worked. And the fans loved it because they knew it was the only way the over matched Huskies could win.

Reaction Score
Pressure man to man defense! You would either get a turnover or a held ball each time, thus some type of "action." It would be an ugly game, but better than this.
Or commit fouls the way you do inside the last two minutes of a tight game.

Reaction Score
I suspect any colleges will recruit those 2 teams' players?

Reaction Score
Or commit fouls the way you do inside the last two minutes of a tight game.

Why on earth would you want to give an overmatched opponent the chance to score free points from the line?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Ah, yes, the old 4 corners "offense" (or Ford corners offense)...wasn't it a major driving force behind instilling the shot clock in MBB?
I could be mistaken but I thought there was once a Duke vs. NC game where the score was 5-2 (or 3) at the half but ended with the score in the 30s...but this could be a hallucination.

Reaction Score
Why on earth would you want to give an overmatched opponent the chance to score free points from the line?
Why do teams intentionally foul at the end of games?

Reaction Score
Why do teams intentionally foul at the end of games?

Because they are losing.

The team holding the ball was losing. The team on defense had no reason to foul.

Reaction Score
Geez... Two touchdowns and a fieldgoal on one side; two safeties on the other. What an "offensive" display of skill.

I was assuming the team with 4 points made a 3 pointer and 1 (FT)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

From Southernminn.com:

No one can tell me any of the young ladies who were on the floor enjoyed playing this game. No one can tell me this serves BB in any way. Sports are supposed to be athletic endeavors and no where was this on display here. Shame on all of these coaches. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

2915c3977ffb29f9fb95346aef6efd58.jpg

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Dunno. Any team that can hold the ball for such extended stretches might have a super ball handler.

Funny thing is, one of the most famous games is UConn men’s hoops history was the slow down game against URI in the 1970s after several key players had been suspended after allegations of theft that turned out to be false. And it worked. And the fans loved it because they knew it was the only way the over matched Huskies could win.
You sure it was URI? I seem to remember that Bob Cousy was the coach & he went on a rant of epic proportions after the loss.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
2 Points:
1) I'm not sure what the Minnesota high school rules are, but we could probably throw some blame on the coach for Waseca too...they could have tried to defend aggressively and force Marshall into a 5 second call or a turnover.

2) I'm betting it was a lot more embarrassing for the Marshall kids to just stand there than it would have been for them to get clubbed while they were actually playing. Playing the game is, after all, what they signed up for!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom