Mike Gundy first coach to enter this arena: Says LHN a "failure." Elimination key to B12 stability | The Boneyard

Mike Gundy first coach to enter this arena: Says LHN a "failure." Elimination key to B12 stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I liked this quote: “If Texas doesn't [fold LHN] in X number of years, they're going to be in the Pac-12 or SEC,” Gundy said. “If that's what they want, keep riding this horse. If you don't want that, you better make some changes or it's going to happen whether you like it or not.”

Reaction Score
Glad to see not everyone in the b12 got the blinders on. Gundy is talking about reality many in the b12 are trying to avoid until it is too late. B12 might not need a championship game, but they need a network.

Reaction Score
I liked this quote: “If Texas doesn't [fold LHN] in X number of years, they're going to be in the Pac-12 or SEC,” Gundy said. “If that's what they want, keep riding this horse. If you don't want that, you better make some changes or it's going to happen whether you like it or not.”

We have to change some minds apparently, however. He doesn't think any one is out there now to add. Mentions football first and then other factors. Everything else with us is fine. Boy, the pigskin is key!

( Hathaway and Pasqualoni)

Reaction Score
State of Oklahoma going rogue... giddyap!

giddyap.jpg

Reaction Score
Don't think for a minute that this wasn't calculated. OK ST wants to stay linked to OU. Supporting Boren is smart strategy. And having the Coach do the talking provides some political camouflage.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't think for a minute that this wasn't calculated. OK ST wants to stay linked to OU. Supporting Boren is smart strategy. And having the Coach do the talking provides some political camouflage.

Very Machiavellian thought process.

Reaction Score
This article is not helpful and shows a lack of understanding on Gundy's part.

The Oklahoma contingent trying to bully UT in the media is only going to cause UT to bristle. I mean they are Texans after all....My personal opinion is UT will burn the Big12 down before they will let OU/OSU totally punk them in public. It needs to be a negotiation...not a shame session.

UT may rightly have a reputation for being singularly self-centered but they are only succeeding at the game the whole Big12 agreed to play. The LHN was the natural off shoot of the Big12 schools retaining their 3rd tier rights. The problem in the Big12 isn't the LHN ...the problem is the business model the Big12 adopted.

The most troubling part of the article was when Gundy said "I don't see anyone coming in this league. Who you going to get? You need strong football history, tradition, some type of television market. They want schools that have some kind of reputation academically. That market is not our there right now." ......Ummm, by this definition OSU should not be in the Big12. In fact, most of the Big12 teams would not achieve this standard. Hang in the Gundy...perhaps Michigan or Florida will leave their conference since those are the only 2 which seem to meet the Gundy test.

Bottom line is even if the LHN was folded into the Big12 network the Big12 does not own enough population hubs for a successful network without expansion. Moreover, no other P5 school is going to the Big12 till they right their house. "Football history"and "tradition" briefs well but they do not pay the bills. Gundy got one thing right...the Big12 needs to change or it won't survive but killing the LHN without additional changes will not secure the conference.

Reaction Score
This article is not helpful and shows a lack of understanding on Gundy's part.
The most troubling part of the article was when Gundy said "I don't see anyone coming in this league. Who you going to get? You need strong football history, tradition, some type of television market. They want schools that have some kind of reputation academically. That market is not our there right now." .Ummm, by this definition OSU should not be in the Big12. In fact, most of the Big12 teams would not achieve this standard. Hang in the Gundy...perhaps Michigan or Florida will leave their conference since those are the only 2 which seem to meet the Gundy test.
He is after all a football coach, so football is his focus and his bias. In the CR pecking order coaches are at least 2 levels down, with regards to influence. Troubling? Maybe. Unexpected? No.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter if OSU thinks that we're a worthy add or not . If the time comes, they'll go along with whatever Daddy (OU) tells them to do because they're SOL if left to fend for themselves.

Reaction Score
The most troubling part of the article was when Gundy said "You need strong football history, tradition, some type of television market. Schools that have some kind of reputation academically. That market is not our there right now."

Gundy would never be the voice of those clamoring for expansion based on DMA's and cable carriage fees. He's the guy who has to say "we need strong football schools". That satisfies the hot blooded folks in the mix. Later he will accede to the wisdom of others who advocate for more network eyeballs and greater exposure in new high population markets--maybe just like the 6th Borough--with strong academic schools---maybe just like UConn--who can grow their football over time while providing the league with a championship pedigree from a strong name-brand institution. Isn't that right Mr. Boren?

Reaction Score
Gundy has a unique take. Instead of wanting all three of Boren's request he seems to want just one. (A network, but not a CCG or expansion).

I'm not sure what his point is. Maybe he's just talking or maybe he is trying to align OSU with OU as Nostical speculated.

I may be projecting my own values onto the University of Texas but until they issue a statement that they are opposed to the LHN being rolled into a Big 12 Network, I want to believe they are open to the idea of making concessions to keep partners. They will have to be big concessions though because even though the ESPN has lost money, Texas has steadily raked in its $15 million (or so) annual guarantee.

One last thing about Mike Gundy's comments. He said something like there are no good candidates for expansion. Like all of you, I disagree. I believe UConn would be a perfect addition to the Big 12. I'm not sure what Gundy wants. Nebraska is not coming back, Arkansas is not leaving the SEC, and the WVU fantasy of an ACC's demise bringing over FSU and Clemson is nothing but a pipe dream.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The reality is that most of the people on this board have a a better handle on expansion than almost all the FB coaches.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
The reality is that most of the people on this board have a a better handle on expansion than almost all the FB coaches.

Let's call it CRU, join the AAU and we're golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom