Mike Aresco ... | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While he is twiddling his thumbs (and Nero fiddles), I think this highly talented guy must be imagineering a Big Plan.

Could you HOOK all the Non-BigFive Power Basketball Programs together.

So ... one Part Big East is:

Villanova
Georgetown
Marquette
St John's
Xavier
Butler
Virginia Commonwealth
Gonzaga
Creighton

(and of course) you still have Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, etc etc PLUS St. Bonaventure GOR for fun.

Football?

They are talking $40m per school (Pete Thamel document) for the B1G network.

Think anything way beyond $2m per school is attractive to 50 Programs beyond the Big 5. Why would you not have some audience for a San Diego State versus Boise or a UCF versus USF far beyond Minnesota versus Rutgers??

MY POINT: this rigid structure of massive Tier contracts to these conferences, with lots of new possible Demand (Fox is expanding; NBC/Comcast will expand), leaves lots of opportunity to place good programming that is fairly comparable to what the B1G, ACC, B12, Pac12 is offering at the margins. There is still money on the table.

We are focused on survival. The reality is that there are always HOLES in a cartel structure.

Reaction Score
He must be starting to feel like his time is being completely wasted.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He must be starting to feel like his time is being completely wasted.

Exactly. Poor guy. Any TV negotiations still going? Or is it kinda pointless right now?

Reaction Score
Not much he can do until the dust settles. And it could settle in so many different ways, I'm not even sure how much he can plan.

Reaction Score
I think he is trying to do what he can... Unfortunately, he is at the whim of the other conferences right now.
I posted something more tounge in cheek last week, but he could try and outmaneuver the other conferences (ACC), by grabbing some money schools. If he could get $15m before Rutgers, why not $20M-$25 if he could add FSU, Clemson, and BYU (or some combination). The one piece Aresco does have is an open TV negotiation so if the ACC does start to crumble he could get an ear or two.

Aresco might be the guy to pull off such a move... and if he does, would Uconn move to ACC?...

Reaction Score
Apparently .... I posted this just a few minutes tooooo early.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Apparently .... I posted this just a few minutes tooooo early.
You just got ahead of yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104