Mike Aresco calls for AAC to receive automatic New Year's Six bowl bid | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco calls for AAC to receive automatic New Year's Six bowl bid

Reaction Score
Mike Aresco calls for AAC to receive automatic New Year's Six bowl bid

>>But if American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco gets his way, the teams in his league won’t always have to wait with their fingers crossed for an independent group to decide their fate.

“We have such a strong conference. I mean … Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, it’s going to be hard for somebody to get through (league play) without one, two, even three losses,” Aresco said before Saturday’s game at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium. “That’s the thing about the conference and why we need an automatic bid down the road.

“That’s going to be our next real initiative, to get back to a contract bowl game and have an automatic bid.”<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh well if Mike has called for it, I don't see it being problem. I mean everyone has really embraced the whole P6 concept.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to poke or make fun... the guy is trying with the cards he is dealt with. The top teams in the conference complete and from a fan aspect I’m still rooting for them as the underdog in every game. I’m not in favor of the P5 world (until we are in it). Everyone that says “he’s delusional” or an “idiot” might as well hop on the Alabama, Clemson, or Georgia bandwagon.

I root for the Huskies come game day but I was on the end of my seat pulling for Memphis football against Ole Miss today because I enjoy watching the big programs crap out against the so-called G5’s of the world.

That being said I’ll be biting my nails come the next realignment when we are an independent and Memphis or UCF gets picked up by the B12 while we are still on the indy scene or... (gulp)... scheduling Princeton, Johns Hopkins, and Duke in lacrosse (sorry/not sorry - mad about Wagner game).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I’m not going to poke or make fun... the guy is trying with the cards he is dealt with. The top teams in the conference complete and from a fan aspect I’m still rooting for them as the underdog in every game. I’m not in favor of the P5 world (until we are in it). Everyone that says “he’s delusional” or an “idiot” might as well hop on the Alabama, Clemson, or Georgia bandwagon.

I root for the Huskies come game day but I was on the end of my seat pulling for Memphis football against Ole Miss today because I enjoy watching the big programs crap out against the so-called G5’s of the world.

That being said I’ll be biting my nails come the next realignment when we are an independent and Memphis or UCF gets picked up by the B12 while we are still on the indy scene or... (gulp)... scheduling Princeton, Johns Hopkins, and Duke in lacrosse (sorry/not sorry - mad about Wagner game).

I root against the AAC. I rooted for the old Big East teams, some good that did us.

Reaction Score
The top of the conference is very strong (Memphis, UCF, Houston, Cincy) and can compete with any middle of the pack P5 team and then some. Let’s not kid ourselves. It’s a solid football conference. And, yes, Aresco is still a loser. If he wasn’t acting like a little child, he’d keep UConn for football. But, that ship sailed with his ego.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not going to happen. That club is closed and they are not letting the Cincinnati's, UCF's and others in their club.

Reaction Score
The money into P5 is oozing

You can see the overindulged in many ways. Go to Rutgers roster page: They have twice the Staff as we do. They’ve invested in the Stadiums & Facilities & P5 Production. The next 13 years is going to be flat for AAC ... and the Gap $ are going to be enormous.

Clearly some of these Programs can’t win regardless of the money infused. But it’s gonna matter in this Sport.

CL82

Reaction Score
The money into P5 is oozing

You can see the overindulged in many ways. Go to Rutgers roster page: They have twice the Staff as we do. They’ve invested in the Stadiums & Facilities & P5 Production. The next 13 years is going to be flat for AAC ... and the Gap $ are going to be enormous.

Clearly some of these Programs can’t win regardless of the money infused. But it’s gonna matter in this Sport.
RUs facilities are far far worse than ours except for their SHI(T) stadium.

Reaction Score
RUs facilities are far far worse than ours except for their SHI(T) stadium.

Wait a minute

They’ve got full bank accounts & no notion how to create a better Program. Thick staffing. Then pour resources into every part of the Football scheme. As we can see - nobody easily fired HCs. Ash went 1-11 in year 3. That begs the question: If not then ... when. The only thing logically to follow is push more $$ through.

They’re in a tough neighborhood.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the MWC might be better this season. It is close either way.

A better tack by Aresco would be no automatic bids. Make everyone earn it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wait a minute

They’ve got full bank accounts & no notion how to create a better Program.

Agreed on the latter, but they still don't get a full B1G TV payout for a few more years and are in a financial hole.

Reaction Score
The top of the conference is very strong (Memphis, UCF, Houston, Cincy)
Houston, strong? Weren't they the ones that got curb stomped by Army last year, they gave up some kind of record in points, don't recall but I think it was close to 80 while struggling to get to double digits themselves. Absolutely embarrassed. They also got crushed by Memphis in their only other really decent game last year. Currently not even close with Oklahoma -- lets see if they can make it respectable. They are closer to USF than they are Memphis or Cincy or even Temple, nevermind UCF, IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Houston, strong? Weren't they the ones that got curb stomped by Army last year, they gave up some kind of record in points, don't recall but I think it was close to 80 while struggling to get to double digits themselves. Absolutely embarrassed. They also got crushed by Memphis in their only other really decent game last year. Currently not even close with Oklahoma -- lets see if they can make it respectable. They are closer to USF than they are Memphis or Cincy or even Temple, nevermind UCF, IMO.
They have excellent athletes and pull from a top tier recruiting area. Lost some steam but they have the horses to compete. Im pretty certain OU would be tough for any but the top 10.

CL82

Reaction Score
Actually they have pretty nice facilities!

Rutgers Football Facilities
I wasn't aware of the Hale Center. I'd still Burton is better and Shenkman is definitely better that the bubble. Gample>>>>> the RAC and they really don't have anything that compares to Werth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom