Mike Anthony: Winning and losing aside, Randy Edsall needs to change current tone and feel of UConn football program. | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Winning and losing aside, Randy Edsall needs to change current tone and feel of UConn football program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If you read it doesn’t sound like he’s lost Mike. Found the article to be fair. Acknowledges the hill Edsalls climbing as well as his inability to help himself out at times.
Yep, true. The editor decided the lead in teaser would be anti Edsall, but the actual story is much more fair.

If Coyle stayed this would be much more of a nothing burger.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree 100% with this article. I am one of the few remaining "keep Edsall" posters, but I have a huge problem with the early departures. I also think UConn should be winning the Transfer Portal, not losing it, and if we keep losing it then Edsall definitely has to go.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% with this article. I am one of the few remaining "keep Edsall" posters, but I have a huge problem with the early departures. I also think UConn should be winning the Transfer Portal, not losing it, and if we keep losing it then Edsall definitely has to go.
I have been waiting with baited breath for the "Transfer Portal - Incoming" thread to start up. After that, the @Exit 4 roster spreadsheet.

Reaction Score
The need for a positive narrative has been one of my main concerns. When the season ended I was hoping Coyle would stay for his final year. Going into year 4 somehow Edsall has to figure this out, getting a message that creates energy for his program. His first season if he had had Spanos it might have helped but again it is all timing with these things. Getting Matt King to really improve the strength and conditioning program was a real positive. Spanos was also. The offensive coordinator and offensive line coach still need to be figured out. Giufre had some good moments. There were plays called that were there but were executed poorly. Red zone is the biggest issue. Improving the running game is next which would help the red zone as well. Not having to do two jobs would be the normal thing and this must be addressed. Incoming transfers is a big one for helping get some positive mo going. The schedule should be able to help here. Anthony summed up my feelings quite well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've never seen a worse losing coach with media. Guys like Saban and Belichick can get away with because they win. His schtick only works here.

Reaction Score
Our next coaching hire our AD had better insure we hire someone who has the Dan Hurley and Matt Rhule attitude towards players he inherits. There should be no wasted years. Oddly Scott Frost at Nebraska has struggled more than I thought he would.

Reaction Score
I was at a party and talked to a few RE1.0 players. I asked about Edsall. They said he was a real hardass, but they tolerated him. They actually thought RE2.0 was a bit softer on the players. I think each generation gets a little softer.
Sounds like JC.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
the pieces have not lined up properly to help us win. Pindell maybe or definitely Shireffs at the helm this year gets us to at least 5 wins. Program feel is dramatically different. I am concerned about the purge but when you look at it on paper - we aren't losing a ton. And that tells you the roster needed upgrading.

Looking at next year- we need to rebuild the OL and get some depth. I am concerned but actually would be more concerned if Matt King left!!!

Reaction Score
Winning and losing can't be looked at as an "aside". The tone of a football program changes when games are won. They can't be looked as a disparate factors.

Reaction Score
Agree that change is needed, but I would prefer that come from above.

Are we committed to playing at a high level?
Are we committed to winning?
Are we committed to funding that, at least at a G5 level?
Are we committed to making the experience a fun experience for the students and the fans?
Are we committed to allowing in kids who are capable of playing but might struggle academically?

Where's the proof

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Somethings got to change? OK, what? What can Edsall possibly do different now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom