Mike Anthony:Where the 2017 Season Left the Huskies | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony:Where the 2017 Season Left the Huskies

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
UConn Football Quick Snaps: Where The 2017 Season Left The Huskies

A closer look at UConn’s 22-21 loss to Cincinnati Saturday, and the 2017 season:

Pindell strong at finish: Junior quarterback David Pindell helped himself Saturday with his best performance of the season. He was 27 of 51 for 273 yards and one touchdown with one interception. He also rushed for 95 yards and led UConn on a 93-yard drive in 1:22 for a touchdown with no time remaining that should have tied the score. He also led UConn on a program-record 19-play drive earlier in the game. The quarterback competition will be wide open in spring practice and preseason camp, but Pindell set a decent base line for the position by the way he improved down the stretch, after taking over for Bryant Shirreffs. Pindell still struggles with the deep pass, and that could be a problem, but he has been an effective manager and a smart, capable runner. Marvin Washington and Jordan McAfee, both redshirts this season, should be competition for Pindell next season.

Passing defense: It was bad, though it did improve. Holding Boston College to 55 yards and Cincinnati to 199 enabled the Huskies to lower their season average for passing yards allowed to 333.9. That was still, by far, the worst in the nation this season. But it wasn't historically bad. Louisiana Tech allowed an average of 340.2 in 2012, a mark UConn was on track to shatter.

A new defensive line: All three starting defensive linemen — Cole Ormsby, Foley Fatukasi, Luke Carrezola — were seniors. Backup Cam Stapleton was, too. So this position group becomes one of the most important things to figure out in the spring. Junior-to-be Phil Okounam (who missed most of this season with a knee injury) and senior-to-be Sheridan Lawley should get a lot of reps.

Losing linebackers, too: Junior Joseph and Vontae Diggs exhausted their eligibility Saturday, too. That's a combined 489 tackles for their careers, 168 this season. Darrian Beavers and Santana Sterling should lead the group next season.

DB’s early education: This was an important learning process for an inexperienced defensive backfield. The Huskies had seniors Tre Bell and Jamar Summers at the corners. While they played well down the stretch, they struggled for much of the season. The moving parts behind them at safety did, too, but players such as freshman Tyler Coyle, freshman Jordan Swann, freshman Brayden Brown and sophomore Marshe Terry showed flashes. Each should be much more consistent next season.

Not getting easier: UConn’s nonconference slate next season includes games at Boise State and at Syracuse, and home games against Rhode Island and UMass. UConn’s website lists the URI game as Sept. 15 (week 3). The Boise State game is Sept. 8, meaning the season opener will be an AAC game. UConn plays the same conference teams it did this season (no games against Navy, Houston or Tulane).

Punting issues: Brett Graham struggled this season, averaging 38.76 yards per punt. That ranked 98th in the nation. Luke Magliozzi redshirted this season and is said to have more pure talent.

Tarbutt’s issues: They do not include strength. Michael Tarbutt showed what kind of leg he has with a career-long 53-yard field goal Saturday, tied for the second-longest in program history. He also missed several short field goals this season, and a point-after kick Saturday with no time left that equated to a 35-yard try. He will be a weapon, not a liability, if he sorts out the complicated mental aspect of the position.

Offensive player of the year: Bryant Shirreffs sustained a concussion late in UConn’s ninth game, his 30th appearance, his 29th start. He decided not to attempt to return. He was the offensive bright spot from the beginning, when he came on late to replace Pindell in the opener and lead UConn to a comeback victory over Holy Cross. Shirreffs was 171 of 260 for 2,287 yards, 14 touchdowns and five interceptions.

Defensive player of the year: Junior Joseph had a team-high 91 tackles this season, giving him 306 for his career. He played 48 games at UConn and started every one over the past three seasons until entering in the second half Saturday at Cincinnati (punishment for his targeting hit against Boston College).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mike phoning it in on Pindell. Can we scrape together 20 pts a game with him? Yup, we just did on what he calls his best performance.

Yesterday was fine for a backup QB, need more, a lot more, from the starter. Tell me we don't win that game with a healthy B.S.?

We are so down as a program we get excited by the smallest positives and ignore the massive shortcomings? Maybe it's fan self defense but it isn't helping.

Reaction Score
Mike phoning it in on Pindell. Can we scrape together 20 pts a game with him? Yup, we just did on what he calls his best performance.

Yesterday was fine for a backup QB, need more, a lot more, from the starter. Tell me we don't win that game with a healthy B.S.?

We are so down as a program we get excited by the smallest positives and ignore the massive shortcomings? Maybe it's fan self defense but it isn't helping.
Since we don't know about Washington or McAfee yet I wouldn't get that down on Pindell as the starter. I'd be more worried about the defense and depth on that side of the ball and the continued development of the OL than who the QB will be...because if than doesn't get fixed it won't matter if Cam Newton lined up behind center next year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So basically we sucked yet again, lost our decent QB, nearly our whole defense, our special teams suck, oh and we are going to get a league game to start out the season as well as two ooc road games.

Let the 7-5 predictions start rolling in!

Reaction Score
So basically we sucked yet again, lost our decent QB, nearly our whole defense, our special teams suck, oh and we are going to get a league game to start out the season as well as two ooc road games.

I hope I'm wrong, dead wrong but I expect another rough year. Dline is the biggest concern. Maybe we are pleasantly surprised at the DL, but Ormsby, Luke, and Foley were light years better than the back ups.

Reaction Score

I thought coverage and return games on specials were good. Kicking game...you are dead on there. It will be interesting to see what Lashlee does with Washington...he was a late flip from UCF and Lashlee went after him hard.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I thought coverage and return games on specials were good. Kicking game...you are dead on there. It will be interesting to see what Lashlee does with Washington...he was a late flip from UCF and Lashlee went after him hard.

My hope? One of the QBs we have in camp can the guy here for a few seasons.

We take our lumps again in 2018, but in 2019 we'll have a RS Soph with a season under his belt and more of Randy's recruits in the fold. Then maybe we can start to contend for the AAC East again.

Just typing that is depressing though.

Reaction Score
My hope? One of the QBs we have in camp can the guy here for a few seasons.

We take our lumps again in 2018, but in 2019 we'll have a RS Soph with a season under his belt and more of Randy's recruits in the fold. Then maybe we can start to contend for the AAC East again.

Just typing that is depressing though.
I know...but when I sit back and take a look at your time line..then think back to how bad this program was under Diaco the least season he was here...it is definitely worth the wait. That's 3 seasons Post-Coach Crazy era.

Reaction Score
Thinking that with the lackluster home schedule for next year and our overall struggles, season ticket sales will take a nose dive.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

7-5???

Thou doth protest too little...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Pindell is alright, but I hope he doesn't start. Too many dumb picks and though he is a good runner he gets happy feet. I really hope Washington is legit

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How about offensive line, Mike?

UConn was 30th in passing offense, but playing from behind for much of the season had something to do with that. They were 87 in rushing and #13 (and not in the good way) in sacks allowed.

UConn has to find a way to convert some of that beef (not named Van Demark) into road graders.

Reaction Score
AD Dave has a real challenge on his hands with Football and men's Basketball. I think RE will need to year 3 to get this figured out and stabilized. Next year the goal has to be to get to 5 or 6 wins, but Ill be darned if I know where they come from beyond ECU, UMass and URI (and UMass is no worse than us at this point). Basketball is a flaming car wreck, and AD Dave needs to take some bold action to pull out of a major spiral. Between Hathaway and Warde leaving us as the last man to shut out the lights in the old Big east and carry the AAC flag, we are now FUBAR. We cant even dominate in the conference we fell on a sword for. Our fate is so Connecticut, never dare to think big, take small risk-adverse actions as they if they are smart and then bemoan our fortune. I hope AD Dave has enough stones to break some eggs. I'd kick Crocker out the door and KO out the door to make the point we expect to compete at the highest level. Enough horseschnit.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
How about offensive line, Mike?

UConn was 30th in passing offense, but playing from behind for much of the season had something to do with that. They were 87 in rushing and #13 (and not in the good way) in sacks allowed.

UConn has to find a way to convert some of that beef (not named Van Demark) into road graders.

I'm surprised to see that we were #13 in sacks allowed. The O line felt leaps and bounds better than last year, and I think it was. Not where it needs to be, but I'm happy we're returning both OTs, who were both pretty good. Guards need work and the center who replaced Crozier (Oak/Vechery?) scared me with his snaps. I think the o line will be better next year with more experience and a couple of new faces on the interior as well as an offseason to get better conditioned.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Wish Diaco didn't trick us with that 2nd year of his contract sporting a 6-6 season without the bowl loss. We might have fixed this mess a little earlierHead bang

I was on the field after that epic win against Houston, yelling, "Bobby you're going bowling!" I genuinely believed the BS at the time :confused:

Reaction Score

If BS was playing vs Cincy he would have been concussed at least twice.

Both BS and Pindell have problems with the deep ball. Both are equal with short and intermediate passes. Pindell wins due to his legs.

We lose by much more than 1 if BS plays.

Reaction Score
The most important aspect of the returning team was ignored in the OP.

The offensive line will start to become a strength next year. There is real talent there at three spots. All will be bigger, stronger and more experienced. They improved over the course of the season and should continue to improve. We need a center and a left guard. But once again there is real talent redshirting. Heck, there may even be a little depth.If they can get up to speed in a timely manner, the offensive line could make a large jump. That would improve the entire offense especially the running game. It will also help whoever wins the QB competition.

The returners, LT Peart, RG DeGeorge and RT Van Demark are important pieces. Potential LG (perhaps RG with a switch of DeGeorge) Nino Leone got some run this year and did not look over matched. Robert Holmes, Stanley Hubbard, James Tunstall are redshirts that will compete for interior positions. They weigh in at 351, 307 and 329 respectively. Daniel Oak returns as a senior and has the inside track at center. Rounding out the competition are OT Brian Cespedes and and OG/OC Ryan Crozier.

By the end of the year the OL was looking like it belonged in the FBS. Another step in the right direction for this group makes everything easier.

Reaction Score
It was widely reported that Dan Oak is not coming back. Participated in Senior Day activities

Interesting, because he would have seemed to be the favorite at OC. So who do you think plays OC, that would seem to be the most unsettled?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Crozier until something happens w/ extra year...

I thought this was only Crozier's junior year this year? He should be a redshirt senior entering his 5th year in the program next year.

Apologies if I'm misreading your post.

Reaction Score
I thought this was only Crozier's junior year this year? He should be a redshirt senior entering his 5th year in the program next year.

Apologies if I'm misreading your post.

I was projecting ahead... he would be all set this year as a RS Senior w/ a long shot possibility of a 6th year if desired/applied for.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

I honestly believe that washington will push pindell for the starting spot, he was splitting reps with pindell and BS in the spring. Also I think Gilmartin(?) will be in the mix for one of the LB spots next season. i think he has impressed the coaching staff this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom