Mike Anthony: UConn's Eli Thomas Recovering From Stroke With Backing Of Strong Family And Communities | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: UConn's Eli Thomas Recovering From Stroke With Backing Of Strong Family And Communities

Reaction Score
Good (heartwarming) read...

Mike Anthony: UConn's Eli Thomas Recovering From Stroke With Backing Of Strong Family And Communities.

>>...Thomas, who suffered a stroke while stretching in preparation for a workout on the Storrs campus, is expected to make a full recovery. He left inpatient rehab Friday, returning to his Elmira home from a facility in Williamsport, Pa., and he is at the outset of a long outpatient program that will mainly address his impaired speech.<<

>>For now Thomas is – get this — running hills and doing lunges during therapy. He is not on medication. He is feeling fine, physically, his mother said, adding that there are quiet times of frustration because sitting through speech therapy is torture for a guy so used to going full throttle. Thomas spent nine days at Hartford Hospital and six more in Williamsport.<<

>>Less than a month later, he was in emergency surgery. The clot was removed without complications. Doctors “went over that boy with a fine-tooth comb,” Turner said, but no origin of the stroke was identified.<<

>>“There is nothing that UConn could do that they haven't done,” Turner said. “They haven't been amazing just from, ‘Oh, he's one of our students.’ They have been amazing because they clearly love him. They have been devastated as we have been. Randy was at the hospital multiple times. The team doctor [Deena Casiero] was at the hospital multiple times and I’m still in very close touch with her. I can't even tell you how many staff were there many, many, many times. As corny as it sounds, they've become like family in a very short time and they've cried right along with us.”<<

Reaction Score
Elmira Star Gazette: Eli Thomas sets sights on return to UConn as he battles back from stroke

>>"Physically he’s great," Turner said. "He doesn’t have any physical deficits because of the stroke. His speech is definitely affected. He can talk. He would certainly be able to talk to you. There’s a lot of words that he jumbles up, a lot of words that he can’t quite find. He has to really think about it and then he can find them." <<

Reaction Score
Watched Eli from the stands... he was in every defensive huddle I caught pumping up his team mates. Good for him to be back on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
Won a basket!

Attachments

• PSX_20181111_164639.jpg
    PSX_20181111_164639.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 23
Reaction Score
Fuller: Elmira, N.Y. community turns out to support UConn linebacker Eli Thomas

>>Johnson was in the hospital to visit Eli after he suffered his stroke and among those in the room was UConn football coach Randy Edsall. This was not one of those, just stopping in to say hi and then exit stage right deals.

“I drove down for the day to Connecticut, we went down for the home opener and were at the Syracuse game and went down to the hospital and Coach Edsall was there for a good hour and a half just talking to him,” Johnson said. “His personality, the people that came in and out, it is family atmosphere. [College athletics] is business first, what have you done for me lately and how many wins do you have this year. To hear him talk and the things he had to say about Eli, for him to take the time to come out, reach out and the things he’s done with his family, he doesn’t have to do that, he could send a secretary or send an assistant and he is doing it personally, that helps my heart out a lot now that he Eli is going to from one family to another and they are taking such good care of him.”<<

>>Turner said that other than a little bit of weakness in his right hand, he is fine physically. He is struggling to speak at times. He works nightly with his sister in law Jessica, a speech pathologist who he is living with.<<

>>Turner said that her son is receiving outpatient treatment once a week, but the plan is to increase that to two or three times weekly in the near future.<<

Reaction Score
Fuller: Elmira, N.Y. community turns out to support UConn linebacker Eli Thomas

>>Johnson was in the hospital to visit Eli after he suffered his stroke and among those in the room was UConn football coach Randy Edsall. This was not one of those, just stopping in to say hi and then exit stage right deals.

“I drove down for the day to Connecticut, we went down for the home opener and were at the Syracuse game and went down to the hospital and Coach Edsall was there for a good hour and a half just talking to him,” Johnson said. “His personality, the people that came in and out, it is family atmosphere. [College athletics] is business first, what have you done for me lately and how many wins do you have this year. To hear him talk and the things he had to say about Eli, for him to take the time to come out, reach out and the things he’s done with his family, he doesn’t have to do that, he could send a secretary or send an assistant and he is doing it personally, that helps my heart out a lot now that he Eli is going to from one family to another and they are taking such good care of him.”<<

>>Turner said that other than a little bit of weakness in his right hand, he is fine physically. He is struggling to speak at times. He works nightly with his sister in law Jessica, a speech pathologist who he is living with.<<

>>Turner said that her son is receiving outpatient treatment once a week, but the plan is to increase that to two or three times weekly in the near future.<<
Wow, great story by Fuller. Now THIS is a reporter doing a great job!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom