Mike Anthony: UConn quarterback Jack Zergiotis missed opportunities ... by a mile | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: UConn quarterback Jack Zergiotis missed opportunities ... by a mile

Reaction Score

In through the kitchen access

>> Zergiotis took the questions and acted like an adult but he sure performed like the raw, up-and-down newcomer that he is. When two sure touchdowns are lost to wild inaccuracy and/or anxiousness, well, that spells the end for a team that takes the field with zero margin for error. UConn trailed 17-10 at the time.

“We've got a freshman quarterback who hasn't played a lot and we're trying to get him to understand that he throws the ball on a flat line,” coach Randy Edsall said. “He's got to make the ball come down the chimney a little bit, put a little more air under it in certain situations. Those are some of things you get when you play a young kid. He competed. He battled. Made some really great throws out there, too. Just like our program, he’s a work in progress, and it isn't going to happen overnight.”<<

Reaction Score
What an insightful article. That a true frosh QB playing in like their third game could miss some critical throws.........who knew?

Kid played well and has some nice skills. Moves well in the pocket and to my eye shows some athleticism. If he can stay on the field he’ll learn how to make those throws.

OL played very well for him yesterday.

Reaction Score
I saw at last four wide open TD passes he missed, Ross, Rose, Brown, I forget the 4th.

You could toss in the goal line throw to Mensah, there was pressure but a little poise would have yielded an easy TD.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What an insightful article. That a true frosh QB playing in like their third game could miss some critical throws....who knew?

Kid played well and has some nice skills. Moves well in the pocket and to my eye shows some athleticism. If he can stay on the field he’ll learn how to make those throws.

OL played very well for him yesterday.

It's news to a large number of fans.

Reaction Score
What concerns me is that this is not an issue with his reading defenses. Yesterday he did a nice job of identifying the open receiver. What is concerning is that he badly missed on a ton of passes. I don’t know how you improve accuracy there.

Reaction Score
What concerns me is that this is not an issue with his reading defenses. Yesterday he did a nice job of identifying the open receiver. What is concerning is that he badly missed on a ton of passes. I don’t know how you improve accuracy there.
Valium may help.

Reaction Score

In through the kitchen access

>> Zergiotis took the questions and acted like an adult but he sure performed like the raw, up-and-down newcomer that he is. When two sure touchdowns are lost to wild inaccuracy and/or anxiousness, well, that spells the end for a team that takes the field with zero margin for error. UConn trailed 17-10 at the time.

“We've got a freshman quarterback who hasn't played a lot and we're trying to get him to understand that he throws the ball on a flat line,” coach Randy Edsall said. “He's got to make the ball come down the chimney a little bit, put a little more air under it in certain situations. Those are some of things you get when you play a young kid. He competed. He battled. Made some really great throws out there, too. Just like our program, he’s a work in progress, and it isn't going to happen overnight.”<<

Mike Anthony absolutely stinks. Big whiner who complain about having to cover Uconn football when he could have been covering sacred heart. I wish they would get rid of him

Reaction Score
Steven Krajewski made those throws when we saw him. Hope he sticks around. Not feeling good about that.
He went down field deep twice one was complete and the second hit the WR right in the chest while covered and was dropped

Reaction Score
Just one thing, If the Houston defense was a little better a couple of the overthrows would be int. Then what would be saying

Reaction Score
He went down field deep twice one was complete and the second hit the WR right in the chest while covered and was dropped
I thought a holding call could’ve been called on that play. Even the announcer said the defender got there “a little early.” Maybe without the hold he makes the catch

Reaction Score
I thought a holding call could’ve been called on that play. Even the announcer said the defender got there “a little early.” Maybe without the hold he makes the catch
Eh even still it was a catchable ball. Wasn’t rough enough to cause a drop

Reaction Score
I may be misremembering, but I thought he threw a few other downfield passes that he dropped in over the receiver’s shoulder. Maybe not deep, but the ball definitely “came down the chimney” more than it does when Jack throws it. That’s all that was needed to make those throws, some touch and arc.

Reaction Score
The problem was much worse than Jack Zergiotis overthrowing the downfield passes. He wasn't close. As the article says he was missing by a mile. We saw in the Indiana game that Jack Zergiotis has a poise problem. The game was simply too big for him. He cr%pped the bed. Same on these long throws. He was either too excited or just lost all feel.

Reaction Score
The problem was much worse than Jack Zergiotis overthrowing the downfield passes. He wasn't close. As the article says he was missing by a mile. We saw in the Indiana game that Jack Zergiotis has a poise problem. The game was simply too big for him. He cr%pped the bed. Same on these long throws. He was either too excited or just lost all feel.
Palantine he made some extremely difficult throws in tight spaces that were very impressive. The announcers were very impressed wife what they called Z arm talent.

Reaction Score
Palantine he made some extremely difficult throws in tight spaces that were very impressive. The announcers were very impressed wife what they called Z arm talent.
I agree with that. He has a strong arm and a lot of talent. His problem is he tends to throw line drives. On deeper throws you have to put more air under the ball. That's where the talent doesn't translate. He needs to learn to throw accurately when he needs touch or to put air under the ball. On those types of throws he's lost.

Reaction Score
This kid strikes me as being very self aware and willing to be coached. One thing is clear. He has the respect of the team. They love his command of the huddle. I'm saying with Jack Zergiotis and Steven Krajewski we may not be as weak at QB as we thought. This UMass game will tell us a lot. If Jack Zergiotis connects and we win, watch out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom