Mike Anthony: UConn Defense Struggles But Ultimately Helps Huskies Earn First Victory | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: UConn Defense Struggles But Ultimately Helps Huskies Earn First Victory

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: UConn Defense Struggles But Ultimately Helps Huskies Earn First Victory

>>The Huskies have never allowed so many points in a victory. They didn’t force the Rams into a single third-down play for the entire first half. More players were lost to injury, calling for the need to ask even more of kids who, at this point, barely know their way around campus. Other players have been shuffled all over the field, changing positions as Edsall tries to compile enough speed at certain spots – like moving Thomas from linebacker to defensive end for specific pass-rush capabilities.<<

>>One play was particularly symbolic: Sophomore defensive back Tyler Coyle was juked out of his uniform by Lawson, who went for a 37-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. But Coyle gave chase, catching Lawson at the goal line and punching the ball free. It was unclear whether Lawson had possession while entering the end zone, certainly not enough evidence to overturn the call, and the touchdown stood.

But it was a good look – a player beaten and then a player back in the fight.

“Even though it was a touchdown, I think that tells you something about these kids,” Edsall said. “They're going to lay it on the line. Do they got to get better? Do we got to get better as coaches? Yes. But if you're getting that kind of effort and have that kind of attitude, you've got a chance. That's why I like these guys, because they're doing the things we're asking them to do. Is it always perfect? No. But the bottom line is we won the game and that’s all I care about.”<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek
Top Bottom