Mike Anthony: UConn coach Randy Edsall making sure player voices matter in a college football debate that ignores them | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: UConn coach Randy Edsall making sure player voices matter in a college football debate that ignores them

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here<

>>“Before any decisions are going to be made, at least in my mind, we’re going to make sure — I’m going to make sure — that our players have a say in this,” UConn coach Randy Edsall said Saturday. “They’re the ones going on the field and playing. … The conferences are all making these decisions and I don’t think there’s any real input from the student-athletes. That’s one thing that we’re going to make sure happens here at the University of Connecticut. Our players are going to be heard.

“I’m not going on the field to play. David [Benedict] is not going on the field to play. The Board of Trustees isn’t going on the field to play. The president [Tom Katsouleas] isn’t going on the field to play. Those guys are going on the field to play and they have to feel comfortable and have a free mind of going out to play the game the way it’s supposed to be played, and also be sure that the experience is something they’re really going to want. That’s my obligation. I’m kind of like the union rep for them. I represent them. I have to make sure their voice is taken into consideration.”<<

>>And if you disregard all that’s going on in the world — disregard the safety of players and coaches and staff members and referees and so many others, even — and just think in terms of how the actual football product would ultimately be affected, I’d say this: For a program that has relied on so many young players, most of them having played without redshirting, a year away from competition with eligibility maintained would be the best thing for competitive development. The 2019 to 2021 jump with players who would have been juniors and seniors in 2020 would be incredible.

>>“You take a group of leaders and you put them in front of people I report to, to let the young men express concerns themselves,” Edsall said. “That’s how you make young men learn how to speak up and take a stand and communicate with elders, and that way they aren’t afraid to go to people and say, ‘Hey, I’d just like to express my opinion.’ If you’re going to be a leader, you’ve got to learn to get out of your comfort zone. … All of these guys are going to go on in life and most of them are not going on to a career in the NFL. If you teach them the right things now, it’s going to give them an opportunity to be ahead of most people coming out of college at the same time.”<<

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is the luxury of being an independent not named Notre Dame. Money isn't really an issue. As much as I want to see a season, it pales next to the idea of forcing the players into a watered down schedule just for the sake of playing. I would be interested in how many players would prefer preserving an extra year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
This is the luxury of being an independent not named Notre Dame. Money isn't really an issue. As much as I want to see a season, it pales next to the idea of forcing the players into a watered down schedule just for the sake of playing. I would be interested in how many players would prefer preserving an extra year of eligibility.
Better ask the NCAA about that! If year will be preserved and then if they will allow waiver to 85 scholarship cap or there goes our 2021 recruiting year. Player can always opt to red shirt with Coach’s approval if they haven’t yet. No season will result in No Practice hence limited development. Be careful what you ask for.

Reaction Score
Better ask the NCAA about that! If year will be preserved and then if they will allow waiver to 85 scholarship cap or there goes our 2021 recruiting year. Player can always opt to red shirt with Coach’s approval if they haven’t yet. No season will result in No Practice hence limited development. Be careful what you ask for.
You're the biggest buzzkill on the BY. You never type a positive word, that I've seen. Is there a hole somewhere that you can crawl into?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I'm not asking for anything but than the informed opinion of the players. Per NCAA rules anyone who plays less than 4 games can redshirt. Giving a 5th year of eligibility is a different thing and there had been a clear direction from the NCAA to not grant such a year in revenue sports. The waiver they did grant was for some non-revenue (partial scholarship) spring sports. They players would know that, and players who already took a redshirt year would know they'd likely be done. (You get 5 years to play 4). My guess is that any RS seniors currently on the squad wouldn't be invited back, along with some of the graduating 4 year seniors. This is the normal course of things and should factor into the players decisions.

My guess is the universe of players who are graduating, want to play a 5th year, and wouldn't be able to is pretty small at UConn, whereas the universe of players who didn't redshirt their freshman year and would like to redshirt this compromised season for a chance to play next year is much larger and includes the entire freshman class. UConn is also short on scholarship players, so I don't think this will be a huge issue that affects more than 3 or 4 players.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It really does show how being independent you can make these decisions yourself and you don't have to worry about conference decisions. UConn doesn't have to worry that they need to take Tulsa's concerns into consideration....they just have to worry about UConn.

I also agree with his thoughts on the impact to the football team. While I am desperate to see football this year...no football would make the team much better next year. They are young and a year off would really help their development.

Reaction Score
You're the biggest buzzkill on the BY. You never type a positive word, that I've seen. Is there a hole somewhere that you can crawl into?
What is negative? You need answers to those questions. A player is not going to develop without practice or game reps. That is a fact! Even though we are independent NCAA will have final say on eligibility and number of scholarships.

Reaction Score
Look at what I have written! I have never been negative on a player, coach or program. I only respond to some of the comments made by others. If you disagree that’s fine! But you need to grow up if you think bringing up possible issues with someone’s comments is negative!

Reaction Score
I'm sure Randy cares about the health and safety of his players, however Its a lot easier to take this position as a coach when you may not even have a schedule to speak of in 2020.

Reaction Score
Look at what I have written! I have never been negative on a player, coach or program. I only respond to some of the comments made by others. If you disagree that’s fine! But you need to grow up if you think bringing up possible issues with someone’s comments is negative!
This was a culmination of almost every single post you make on here. It wasn't topic specific. It gets old when someone is argumentative just for the sake of stirring crap up. Why don't you go hang out in the pool. They love to argue over there.

Reaction Score
This was a culmination of almost every single post you make on here. It wasn't topic specific. It gets old when someone is argumentative just for the sake of stirring crap up. Why don't you go hang out in the pool. They love to argue over there.
It was s direct response to you! Maybe you are the one off topic. Obviously you have no first hand knowledge of football.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Randy cares about the health and safety of his players, however Its a lot easier to take this position as a coach when you may not even have a schedule to speak of in 2020.

Many of HCRE's comments were directed as to how is there going to be a season? For anyone? Yes we have lost half our games outright as conferences try and set up a scenario that they can have some games. Many of the points discussed in the article though are pointing to no games as the logistics to have them become absurd considering the players are not professionals.

Reaction Score
Many of HCRE's comments were directed as to how is there going to be a season? For anyone? Yes we have lost half our games outright as conferences try and set up a scenario that they can have some games. Many of the points discussed in the article though are pointing to no games as the logistics to have them become absurd considering the players are not professionals.
I think we will know on Wednesday!
If practice starts as planned, it will be reasonable to assume they will TRY to play some games

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What he said is correct. The players deserve a say in what happens, since it is their bodies not ours.
I want CFA this year badly, but I understand the big picture and what is more important.

Go Huskies, no matter what is decided

Reaction Score
“Coach Edsall is all about his players and what they want this season to be,” said Marianne Van Demark, mother of senior offensive lineman Ryan Van Demark. “It’s not about the money for (Edsall). He’s a big part of why Ryan does his best and gives it his all. A lot of people don’t know the real coach. Yes, he’s old-fashioned and strict and sometimes short, but always has the best interest of the boys in mind.”

‘They’re the ones playing’: Randy Edsall wants players to decide fate of season

Reaction Score
Huskymedic already coined the term in a previous post about Randy...

He is "Setting the table"..

UConn ain't playing football....so look like you are on the side of the angels....the best strategy.

It also might be heartfelt...but it works well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Really need to save these quotes from RE about building and developing teens in to young men and how RE stands up for them as a juxtaposition of when RE will undoubtedly thrown them under the bus after a loss. "Lazy Eyes", "Missed Assignments" and other RE post game press conference gems.

Reaction Score
Really need to save these quotes from RE about building and developing teens in to young men and how RE stands up for them as a juxtaposition of when RE will undoubtedly thrown them under the bus after a loss. "Lazy Eyes", "Missed Assignments" and other RE post game press conference gems.
Not sure there is a disconnect. He's holding them accountable to what they've been taught. and 2.0 has thrown himself under the bus as well 'coaches need to do a better job' type comments...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom