Mike Anthony: UConn’s Geno Auriemma and Dan Hurley adapt and learn as they coach and teach | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: UConn’s Geno Auriemma and Dan Hurley adapt and learn as they coach and teach

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By MIKE ANTHONY HARTFORD COURANT OCT 18, 2020

“It was more drills, drills, drills, drills, drills,” Auriemma said. “There must have been 100 drills that first day. And running, running, running. The intensity level of it, players had never been through anything like that.

1603130507712.png

On Friday night, UConn women’s basketball released its non-conference opponents which features six matchups. The Huskies will open the season on Nov. 28 against Quinnipiac at Mohegan Sun.

Confirmed dates:
Nov. 28
: Quinnipiac - Nov. 29: Maine/Mississippi State - Dec. 4: Louisville (at Mohegan Sun)

Confirmed opponents:
Home
: South Carolina
Road: Baylor, Tennessee

Auriemma said last Wednesday that the Huskies will play Baylor and Tennessee but doesn’t “don’t know exactly what day.” In June, the Basketball Hall of Fame announced UConn would play the Lady Vols on Jan. 21, 2021 in Knoxville, Tennessee. It’s unclear if that has since changed.

Rumor mill
Despite the announcement, UConn still has room to add another non-conference opponent to its schedule, per Carl Adamec. According to Hearst CT’s Doug Bonjour and the Hartford Courant’s Alexa Philippou, UConn is in “discussions” with Maryland and Arkansas-Little Rock to fill the final slot.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We are very lucky to have such gifted writers covering our favorite sports team! This line really stood out to me as almost poetic:

But the game’s progress and a person’s growth leads to the simple reality that the best coaches are the best teachers, and the best teachers are the best learners. They must be. The more nuanced lessons are the more important ones in 2020. There isn’t always value in teaching through a tornado of one’s own creation.

As Geno said, gone are the days of "drills and running". You can't beat teams any more being the fittest, strongest, or most tenacious. Coaches with longevity of success like Tara and Kim know this well - they had success in the past, and are having success currently.

Obviously I feel that Geno is the best, but there ARE other coaches out there who do really well with what they have - sometimes guard oriented, sometimes post oriented, but it's a testament to the coaches I mentioned, and others, who have had elite success that has spanned decades.

Reaction Score
By MIKE ANTHONY HARTFORD COURANT OCT 18, 2020

“It was more drills, drills, drills, drills, drills,” Auriemma said. “There must have been 100 drills that first day. And running, running, running. The intensity level of it, players had never been through anything like that.

View attachment 60030

On Friday night, UConn women’s basketball released its non-conference opponents which features six matchups. The Huskies will open the season on Nov. 28 against Quinnipiac at Mohegan Sun.

Confirmed dates:
Nov. 28
: Quinnipiac - Nov. 29: Maine/Mississippi State - Dec. 4: Louisville (at Mohegan Sun)

Confirmed opponents:
Home
: South Carolina
Road: Baylor, Tennessee

Auriemma said last Wednesday that the Huskies will play Baylor and Tennessee but doesn’t “don’t know exactly what day.” In June, the Basketball Hall of Fame announced UConn would play the Lady Vols on Jan. 21, 2021 in Knoxville, Tennessee. It’s unclear if that has since changed.

Rumor mill
Despite the announcement, UConn still has room to add another non-conference opponent to its schedule, per Carl Adamec. According to Hearst CT’s Doug Bonjour and the Hartford Courant’s Alexa Philippou, UConn is in “discussions” with Maryland and Arkansas-Little Rock to fill the final slot.

Carnac: I've read somewhere on the site that ALL of the UConn games will be available on TV. Do you know WHERE we'll be able to watch them? I've also read that SNY will be doing most of the telecasts. In the past, SNY games were available on ESPN3, but isn't the current school arrangement with Fox? Also, I see that NBC Sports is in the mix. Can you straighten all of this out by looking into your always reliable crystal ball?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I've read somewhere on the site that ALL of the UConn games will be available on TV. Do you know WHERE we'll be able to watch them?

Living room. Maybe den. Man Cave, maybe ... If you are young and it hasn't been turned into a laundry-room.

Reaction Score
We are very lucky to have such gifted writers covering our favorite sports team! This line really stood out to me as almost poetic:

But the game’s progress and a person’s growth leads to the simple reality that the best coaches are the best teachers, and the best teachers are the best learners. They must be. The more nuanced lessons are the more important ones in 2020. There isn’t always value in teaching through a tornado of one’s own creation.

As Geno said, gone are the days of "drills and running". You can't beat teams any more being the fittest, strongest, or most tenacious. Coaches with longevity of success like Tara and Kim know this well - they had success in the past, and are having success currently.

Obviously I feel that Geno is the best, but there ARE other coaches out there who do really well with what they have - sometimes guard oriented, sometimes post oriented, but it's a testament to the coaches I mentioned, and others, who have had elite success that has spanned decades.

Great point. Geno is one of the best at what he does. But I totally agree with there being other coaches out there doing a great job with what they have and developing those players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom