Mike Anthony Podcast: The Paige Phenom | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony Podcast: The Paige Phenom

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good stuff in general. A very clear look into what Paige has to deal with and just how remarkable she is. A little surprised he felt her game needs some refinement and her shooting is not as good as DT's was at the same time. I think (and Marc admitted he only had this one game as sample) the Senior Game shooting was sub par for her but to me, how she just shook that off and dominated every phase of the game was the real story.

Interesting piece on how the Coach / player relationship will not always be so sweet and fun once they get into the trenches of the program but that is ok since Paige is a very hard worker and wants to be coached hard

Reaction Score
I think Anthony did what I see others do, compare a high school senior to DT at her peak in college if not as a pro. Sure, DT is a physical specimen now, and was on that path as a college senior, but I doubt she was anything close to that as a senior in high school.
One of Bueckers' first shocks will be the advice she gets about her eating habits. Those Popeye fried chicken sandwiches and spoon fulls of nutella won't help her body efficiently create the energy necessary to play high pace college ball for 40 minutes when that is needed. We all read about how Dolson changed her body in part by altering her diet.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe I am wrong but my feeling is that diet in general is not micro-managed at UConn. Many of the players adopt some really good and targeted diets (Gabby, Meg, Dolson come to mind) but that is more on the player to recognize and initiate with strong assistance from the staff to be sure.,

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paige was nursing that stress reaction in her leg during the Senior Night and it may well have affected her shooting.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow. what an article.

Batten down the hatches. :D:D:D

“I feel like Coach Geno is going to get the best out of me,” Bueckers said. “I need a coach who is going to push me and is hard on me. It’s going to be a tough-love relationship but I’m really looking forward to it."

And it won’t: “We both have pretty big egos. He’s always joking around and I’m the same way. I see us bantering a lot, and going at each other. Just because I’m not going to back down and I don’t care who it is. I don’t care if it’s coach Geno Auriemma.”

But a cautionary view

“She’s not Diana Taurasi tough,” Cosgriff said. “There’s the comparisons going on and she might be as skilled and she might be as good a player, but she’s not that mentality yet. She’s the best I’ve ever had in terms of seeing the game two or three passes in advance and the feel for the game, athletic as hell, but I’m a worrier. I just love her. I want her to do really well. All the social media and that sort of thing — I’m a worrier. But that’s the difference between her and I. I think she just lets it all roll right off her back.”

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Paige's boldness and bravado will decrease significantly once she gets to Uconn.

I remember Megan saying in her commitment ceremony that she chose Uconn because it was the best school that could develop her "brand".

In the summer before her freshman year CW promised a certain number of national championships.

That kind of talk does not happen once they get on campus.

Uconn kids are taught to handle the media are allowed to give interviews on a limited basis. I have not heard of any 45 minute autograph sessions after games.

Finally, Paige will be surrounded by players who have earned similar accolades to her. It will take a little time on her part to be the leader that she is expected to become.

My only worry is that she gets the much needed rest this summer.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If Geno lets Paige be sassy from the jump - something I don't see her doing or him tolerating - if it happens then it will be because he is besotted with her talent and the future he sees ahead. Frankly, while it made for an interesting story angle, I think that midwestern youngster will be polite and deferential to Geno and all the staff.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If Geno lets Paige be sassy from the jump - something I don't see her doing or him tolerating - if it happens then it will be because he is besotted with her talent and the future he sees ahead. Frankly, while it made for an interesting story angle, I think that midwestern youngster will be polite and deferential to Geno and all the staff.
Coach CD's comportment class will take care of that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom