Mike Anthony: Jim Calhoun All In As St. Joseph Basketball Coach | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Jim Calhoun All In As St. Joseph Basketball Coach

Reaction Score
Geez... guess those who predicted he wasn’t going to actually be the Coach were off the mark.

>>The distant whirring of saws and drills provided the background noise as St. Joseph men’s basketball coach Jim Calhoun — yes, his role and title are certain now — sat in his office Monday and talked, talked, talked for an hour and a half about life, his basketball past, his basketball future.<<

>>Calhoun has told decision makers at St. Joe’s over the past year, “If you try to do this halfway, you'll fail.”

“I said that about building a legacy to sustain,” Calhoun said. “When I'm not coaching here in two, three [years], whatever it may be, I want St. Joe's to sustain excellence. Greatness is determined by what kind of kids you get, the way the program is run and by the support you get from the university.”<<

>>“I fully plan to coach the team,” Calhoun said. “At St. Joe's, they've said do [it however long] you want. I said, two-year contract, let's do it that way. I would like to coach in the new building. That's kind of my goal, and then we'll see what happens.<<

Absent some unforeseen personal/medical issue arising - it looks like a go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geez... guess those who predicted he wasn’t going to actually be the Coach were off the mark.

>>The distant whirring of saws and drills provided the background noise as St. Joseph men’s basketball coach Jim Calhoun — yes, his role and title are certain now — sat in his office Monday and talked, talked, talked for an hour and a half about life, his basketball past, his basketball future.<<

>>Calhoun has told decision makers at St. Joe’s over the past year, “If you try to do this halfway, you'll fail.”

“I said that about building a legacy to sustain,” Calhoun said. “When I'm not coaching here in two, three [years], whatever it may be, I want St. Joe's to sustain excellence. Greatness is determined by what kind of kids you get, the way the program is run and by the support you get from the university.”<<

>>“I fully plan to coach the team,” Calhoun said. “At St. Joe's, they've said do [it however long] you want. I said, two-year contract, let's do it that way. I would like to coach in the new building. That's kind of my goal, and then we'll see what happens.<<

Absent some unforeseen personal/medical issue arising - it looks like a go.
Man! itd be great if he stayed healthy and coached for the next 5 years. I really hope it goes well for him health wise. On the coaching side he should do ok. lol!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"The first practice is less than 10 weeks away. Those kids will love the box-out drill."

Chuckle

CL82

Reaction Score
So being out of state I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it, but what does everyone think about showing up at the first came in UConn gear to support Calhoun? Nice statement of support for our HOF coach.

Reaction Score
So being out of state I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it, but what does everyone think about showing up at the first came in UConn gear to support Calhoun? Nice statement of support for our HOF coach.
I think buying some st Joe's gear and wearing that to support their new program would probably be a greater show of support lol

CL82

Reaction Score
I think buying some st Joe's gear and wearing that to support their new program would probably be a greater show of support lol
Yeah, but who wants that crap? I kid, I kid... okay no I'm completely serious.

Reaction Score

It's not about Calhoun. It's about the St. Joe's kids. Calhoun is an athlete-first coach; I'm sure he would agree. Wear their colors (blue and yellow, I believe) or buy some St. Joe's gear.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's not about Calhoun. It's about the St. Joe's kids. Calhoun is an athlete-first coach; I'm sure he would agree. Wear their colors (blue and yellow, I believe) or buy some St. Joe's gear.
Not for me. I don't give a rat's about a start up DIII team, but I would go and show our HOF coach we support him in whatever he's doing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom