Mike Anthony: A day with UConn's Dan Hurley: The basketball coach starts with meditation. It's 'all gas, no brakes' from there. | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: A day with UConn's Dan Hurley: The basketball coach starts with meditation. It's 'all gas, no brakes' from there.

Reaction Score

Hearst has taken the route to block Outline from providing an alternate access link (was bound to happen) but it’s worth the time to take the extra steps to read Mike’s work here… good insight into what makes Coach tick.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Tigers. Lions. Owls. Wolves. Hurley is fascinated by animals on the hunt, especially in a pack. He occasionally shows nature videos to players.
Haha, this guy is so fun to have as our coach. I love the idea of the team in dark video review room for 10 minutes of pack hunting a wildebeest.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Hearst has taken the route to block Outline from providing an alternate access link (was bound to happen) but it’s worth the time to take the extra steps to read Mike’s work here… good insight into what makes Coach tick.

CTRL A, CTRL C, then paste into Word.

BTW is a great read. Some highlights:

To build a strong team, you’ve got to demand a lot from them daily. Getting through hard [stuff] makes the players more resilient, makes the team tougher and stronger. I’ve got to be the leader. I’ve got to set the tone. If I don’t come in here with a ton of energy and urgency, then I’m just a figurehead.”
On one wall hangs a picture of Hurley and Christian Vital at the conclusion of UConn’s victory over Syracuse at Madison Square Garden early in Hurley’s first season, on Nov. 15, 2018. Hurley and Vital had an initially rocky, though ultimately inspiring, experience together and the photo is a healthy reminder that relationships are not to be given up on.
“Some days you’re going to get your [butt] kicked,” Hurley says to Johnson. “Some days you’re going to kick someone’s [butt]. Make sure you learn. Learn, compete. When coaches are talking to you, make eye contact. We go from drill to drill here, too, Samson. We run. We don’t walk anywhere during practice. It will be very, very fast paced. Just be a good listener, show a lot of enthusiasm. We’re so happy that you’re here.” They hug again and Johnson is sent on his way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
5EB7C81E-85EC-488B-B2E2-7AC97985012A.jpeg

Cant see Whaley, Samson, and Sanogo but I’m gonna guess the bottom one on blue says “Adama” with Samson and Whaley on white

CL82

Reaction Score
View attachment 68047
Cant see Whaley, Samson, and Sanogo but I’m gonna guess the bottom one on blue says “Adama” with Samson and Whaley on white
who is the second player for blue. I can't make it out.

Reaction Score
My money is on white team

Andre, Whaley and Johnson together are going to brutalize the other groups defensively. They're not going to be able to score at all on the other end, but whatever. Most of our drills are "defense wins" drills anyways.

I like that he has RJ and Andre together--that seems purposeful. Andre learning to be the PG and allowing RJ to play off ball attacking closeouts and hitting 3s puts both in a position to succeed. They'll be doing that a lot this season I'm sure.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Does everyone actually subscribe to all these news sites or is there a way around the pay walls?

Reaction Score
Andre, Whaley and Johnson together are going to brutalize the other groups defensively. They're not going to be able to score at all on the other end, but whatever. Most of our drills are "defense wins" drills anyways.

I like that he has RJ and Andre together--that seems purposeful. Andre learning to be the PG and allowing RJ to play off ball attacking closeouts and hitting 3s puts both in a position to succeed. They'll be doing that a lot this season I'm sure.
Andre has really got to improve his handle if he is going to play pg. If he does that and makes his shot half decent he could be the most improved guy on the team.

Reaction Score

excellent article. Unfortunately it is difficult to pay newspaper writers when everyone wants to read the articles without paying.

CL82

Reaction Score
excellent article. Unfortunately it is difficult to pay newspaper writers when everyone wants to read the articles without paying.
Wait, you are the editor of the Register?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom