Mike Anderson is a bad coach | The Boneyard

Mike Anderson is a bad coach

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
SJU can do better.

Mike was basically embarrassing on that "in the huddle" game vs Sean Miller & Xavier.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
yet he walked out of the XL with his head held high while DH was in the bowels wondering what went wrong and who can he blame

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
SJU can do better.

Mike was basically embarrassing on that "in the huddle" game vs Sean Miller & Xavier.

I am willing to give Anderson a mulligan on that game. I think he was afraid of giving up any game plans on TV, although he did end up coming off clueless because he wouldn't say anything meaningful during the huddles.

My issue with Anderson is that his style requires precision and discipline, and I don't think he has it in him to coach that anymore. I think Hurley slowing down SJU's pace actually helped St. Johns because they have a solid starting 5 and they could run a fairly under control halfcourt offense which was pretty effective. In hindsight UConn should have sped up SJU into the chaos offense that it usually plays.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Anderson is a bad coach. He was better today. Doesn't mean he isn't bad.

Chris Mullin once coached the pants off Coach K at MSG. He still stunk too.

Reaction Score
SJU can do better.

He is there because they literally couldn’t do better. Nobody wanted the job. It has no upside. It isn’t 1968.

Reaction Score
He is there because they literally couldn’t do better. Nobody wanted the job. It has no upside. It isn’t 1968.
Yeah. Playing in MSG, and coaching in the media capital of the country, what could you possibly gain by being successful in a place like that?

No upside at all.

Reaction Score
I am willing to give Anderson a mulligan on that game. I think he was afraid of giving up any game plans on TV, although he did end up coming off clueless because he wouldn't say anything meaningful during the huddles.

My issue with Anderson is that his style requires precision and discipline, and I don't think he has it in him to coach that anymore. I think Hurley slowing down SJU's pace actually helped St. Johns because they have a solid starting 5 and they could run a fairly under control halfcourt offense which was pretty effective. In hindsight UConn should have sped up SJU into the chaos offense that it usually plays.
"Slowed them down" to the second highest number of possessions in any game we've played all year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
"Slowed them down" to the second highest number of possessions in any game we've played all year.

One of my favorite things about the boneyard is low count posters showing up after losses to attack other posters rather than discuss the game.

Reaction Score
Our 21 turnovers contributed to St. Johns number of possessions.
They only had 10.
Our 21 turnovers contributed to St. Johns number of possessions.
They only had 10.

Bingo! Someone gets it.

Yes, more possessions and second shots. More opportunities to score = more points.

Even in a game in which SJU shot 15% from 3 and 62% on FTs, they still outscored us because our guys gave the ball back to them for so many extra opportunities.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
One of my favorite things about the boneyard is low count posters showing up after losses to attack other posters rather than discuss the game.
What makes it a "favorite?"

I read your comment as a content-free attack on another poster, in which you intentionally obscure any genuine emotional engagement and implicitly accord greater value to high count posters, even if you no more discussing the game than your criticism states as to others.

Your sarcasm is like a facile empty calorie sugar rush to make your comment sound 'knowing' because you have a high post count. Across the full spectrum of posters, who is possibly nourished by such a post?

Why do you lack the integrity to state that what you decry is actually one of your least favorite things about The Boneyard?

Wouldn't doing so result in a more authentic and higher quality message board?

What would you lose if that were the case? What might you and others gain?

Why play small? And why do so with a puffed chest?

Reaction Score
Yeah. Playing in MSG, and coaching in the media capital of the country, what could you possibly gain by being successful in a place like that?

No upside at all.
LOL. Many many things contribute to the desire ability of a job. Facilities, overall quality of the athletic department, money. The St Johns athletic department is a mess. That’s one thing. BobbyHurley, Moser, and Cluess all turned it down. Ok maybe Hurley figured ASU had a higher upside, but the other 2 were at mid-major programs that they thought were better places than St Johns. Cluess was at Iona for heavens sake. And he thought his future was better staying in the MAAC than taking a job at St Johns. The joke going around was that the President was going to coach the team in his off days.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not as simple as that. He's a Nolan Richardson guy. Forty minutes of hell. It worked fairly well at Mizzou. He had some decent years at Arkansas. But the full court pressing style can be completely picked apart by modern 4 out offenses that often feature more ball handlers and shooters. I don't think he's adapted to that reality.

He would probably be more successful at a mid major. Fortunately for him, he faced a guy who is just as stubborn about his own defensive approach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom