OT: - Mikaela Shiffrin Breaks World Cup Record [merged thread] | The Boneyard

OT: Mikaela Shiffrin Breaks World Cup Record [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Mikaela Shiffriin won her 83rd World Cup race to break the record for a female skier held by Lindsey Vonn. She needs 4 more wins to break Ingemar Stenmark’s record of 86.

Somewhere Olde Coach is smiling but he wouldn’t be shocked by her success. When I started lurking on the BY I really enjoyed his posts and remember him raving about this young talent developed at Burke Mountain where he had played an import role. He wisely advised us to stay tuned. This is what he wrote here on the BY 9 years ago :

“Mikaela is absolutely the nicest teen-ager I have ever known. HER HUMILITY IS EVEN GREATER THAN HER TALENT.
She will be the face of the US Ski Team in Russia next month. And she will get a huge amount of press. It will be worth your time to read and to watch everything you can find about her -- beginning with this article linked by Zorro.
If you love excellence in Sports, you will love getting to know Mikaela. (She is a one name athlete in Europe)
Mikaela spent 5 happy and productive years at Burke Mountain Academy where she is loved and appreciated by everyone in the Burke community.
I'll have more to say about her as the games get closer, and progress. Mikaela's events (Slalom and Giant Slalom) are in the closing three days.
Todays article in the NYT has a ton of information in it. --- including the kind of things that fascinate Boneyarders ----- like she can ride a unicycle and juggle at the same time. Even Stewie can't do that.
Stay tuned.”

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Aaaaaand the article sent me down a rabbit hole:

She went on to dominate the slalom event — wracking up 51 wins over her 12-season career. Shiffrin also won 18 giant slalom races over that span, including Tuesday's victory.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
legend.
iffn u can handle New England ice, sleet, crazy cold, and all the rest, u can do it anywhere on earth.
saw a program the other day where some famous climbing guy, who scaled everest 4 times and on one of those, was part of the expedition that found george mallory's body, who crashed and burned in 1924.
he said that Mount Washington, the windiest place on earth, is one of the best places to train for everest.
here's a deathlist of those dying on Mount Washington.
Mount Washington's fatalities - New Hampshire Magazine
161 as of 2019.

sooo, mikaela? bodie? what's that, two of the greatest girl and boy schussers ever? New Hampshire in the house.
not NH, but close by.

ski it if u can!
(for paradise, not me. i can't and don't want to. and these kids aren't really 'skiing.' more like 'sliding slowly so they won't die.' way more courageous than me, and less demanding as well. i require barco loungers to be regularly placed along runs named 'toll road,' or 'sesame street.' close ur eyes, sit back, and listen to sound on this run -crunch, crunch, slide, crunch, crunch, ...)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
moved to kali some years back, new pals ask 'do u board, ski?'
im like 'i lived in Boston, it's some kind of law there, even for people coming from Bridgeport, so, ummm, duh!'
head to ski shop in downtown SF - 'hook me up! im going big mountain western skiing!' we go to Squaw.
after trip, pals ask 'what do you think?'
i say 'above treeline is pretty neat, and falling always feels like crashing into pillows, but cold, ice, and trees 4 feet apart aren't on the menu, so there's that.'
i remember once yelling at chairpeople in Vermont, who just closed the lifts cuz it was like 45 below on the wind chill. beard, and everywhere else on me filled with icicles, i'm like 'wusses!'
temp never bothers me, it's only the icy rocks that do.
Utaaaah, Colorado, and such are always lovely. doesn't seem to get crazy ice cold there, tho that sierra cement is very real, and often comes down in feet per day. shussing along in waisthigh sludge can be tiring. on the udder hand, it always seems to be sunny in those places.... winter tan!
i wonder if skiing in the dark was invented around our way. seems appropriate. add ice and 30mph winds. and long underwear made of kevlar and silk.

Reaction Score
Aaaaaand the article sent me down a rabbit hole:

She went on to dominate the slalom event — wracking up 51 wins over her 12-season career. Shiffrin also won 18 giant slalom races over that span, including Tuesday's victory.
Any success Mikaela enjoys will make me happy. Like millions of others, I watched sadly as she struggled during the '22 Olympics in China. That she's back at it and at the top of the skiing world again is wonderful news.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
We have a house in St Johnsbury and skied mainly at Burke through Mikaela's days there.
What was so impressive was her dogged determination in perfecting her technique.
OF course Olde Coach brought her front and center to our attention, but she was impossible to miss.
Funny and typical New England, that the main lift goes right over the racing (trail), avenue, now approximately named Warren's Way. after olde coach.

They even let us ski on a small piece of it when the racers are training or The whole 9 yards when they're not...a steep and lovely way to mid-station...straight down.

We're in Utah this season, enjoying the wonderful mountains: Brighton. Solitude, Deer Valley, Alta....Unfortunately, my wife...the great skier in the family, had a little mishap yesterday and snapped a bone in her ankle...Oh well. She'll be back next year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'saw a program the other day where some famous climbing guy, who scaled everest 4 times and on one of those, was part of the expedition that found george mallory's body, who crashed and burned in 1924.
he said that Mount Washington, the windiest place on earth, is one of the best places to train for everest.'

United States wind chill record set yesterday. a lot.
Mount Washington as cold as Mars with record-breaking wind chills of 110 below

Reaction Score
Mikaela Shiffrin won her 87th World Cup race to pass the great Ingemar Stenmark for the most wins. Nine years ago Olde Coach of Boneyard and Burke Mountain fame alerted us to a youngster he thought was going to be special. I guess Olde Coach knew his stuff. Mikaela is still only 27 years old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom