Mid Tenn leads Kentucky 37-22 @ halftime | The Boneyard

Mid Tenn leads Kentucky 37-22 @ halftime

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Lots of TOs for the 'cats in the 1st half.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I didn't see that coming. MTSU isn't all that great, and I thought KY was decent, but maybe I was wrong.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
1st half shooting: Kentucky 26% MTSU 50%

I think that's the problem.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
MTSU always has good coached teams. They have ruled the Sun Belt.

Reaction Score
I thought KY was decent, but maybe I was wrong.

If KY isn't good, then ND must not be either, since the Cats played very well @South Bend a few weeks ago.

I suspect it's more likely just the holiday layover.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
There may have been a spirited discussion at halftime. If I were Mitchell, I'd point out that MTSU hasn't come close to beating a ranked team this year, so I don't want to be the first.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The 15 point lead is down to 8

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
the lead was down to five, but has now ballooned back up. It must be post Xmas blues.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
So much for the SEC resurgence SOME were claiming. The two best teams both lose to unranked teams (Virginia and MTSU). Weak conference. WEAK.

Reaction Score
So much for the SEC resurgence SOME were claiming. The two best teams both lose to unranked teams (Virginia and MTSU). Weak conference. WEAK.

How do you explain KY's strong performance @ND?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Didn't see the game, but that's a shockingly bad result. How does that happen? MTSU? Really?

A possibility: Kentucky, Duke, and ND are all on a similar level, and that level is not top flight. I realize ND is ranked #3 and made the finals last year with largely the same team they have now (minus Bruiser), but I'm not 100% sold. I'd consider it a disappointment if UConn doesn't take two of three at bare minimum this season.

Reaction Score
KY would have been better prepared if they would have scheduled some road games earlier in OOC.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
There may have been a spirited discussion at halftime. If I were Mitchell, I'd point out that MTSU hasn't come close to beating a ranked team this year, so I don't want to be the first.

That's not true. MT had a double digit lead over Penn St. at Penn St. midway through the second half before being held scoreless in the last 8 minutes. They got killed by Tennessee but they played close with Ga. Tech and Arkansas as well (though I know they're not ranked). Their best player (Rowe) is a sophomore and they start a freshman point guard. They've had some lapses but this is a talented and athletic MT team who will only benefit from playing this tough schedule.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's not true. MT had a double digit lead over Penn St. at Penn St. midway through the second half before being held scoreless in the last 8 minutes. They got killed by Tennessee but they played close with Ga. Tech and Arkansas as well (though I know they're not ranked). Their best player (Rowe) is a sophomore and they start a freshman point guard. They've had some lapses but this is a talented and athletic MT team who will only benefit from playing this tough schedule.
Doesn't matter what the score was half way through the second half at PSU they lost by 16 and only scored 49 points. MTSU is incredibly inconsistent and is therefore not a very good team. It is a bad loss for Kentucky no matter how you cut it.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
I'm not saying it's not a bad loss for KY. I was just saying MTSU has played another ranked opponent close.

I guess it depends on what your definition of close is and what your definition of good is.

They are undersized and have much less talent than most top 25 teams, but was it terribly surprising for me to see that they won? No. They've beaten UGA and LSU from the SEC when they were ranked in the top 10 as well. Coach Insell consistently gets more from less than other coaches.

KY did not play well and MT was firing on all cylinders (other than hitting from outside). It was a bad loss for Kentucky and a huge win for MT. I don't think it means KY is overrated or MT is a great team, but it shows that there is a little more parity in the women's game and what can happen if you don't bring your A game every night or overlook an opponent.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
are they young... seriously, seasoned players play well together!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm not saying it's not a bad loss for KY. I was just saying MTSU has played another ranked opponent close.

I guess it depends on what your definition of close is and what your definition of good is.

They are undersized and have much less talent than most top 25 teams, but was it terribly surprising for me to see that they won? No. They've beaten UGA and LSU from the SEC when they were ranked in the top 10 as well. Coach Insell consistently gets more from less than other coaches.

KY did not play well and MT was firing on all cylinders (other than hitting from outside). It was a bad loss for Kentucky and a huge win for MT. I don't think it means KY is overrated or MT is a great team, but it shows that there is a little more parity in the women's game and what can happen if you don't bring your A game every night or overlook an opponent.
My point was having been at the PSU game that MTSU did not play well against PSU. They lost to PSU by 16 and should have lost by more than 20 quite easily. It was one of two games I made this year. I hope to see PSU/Nebraska tomorrow night.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Not trying to make any implications, but just noting that whereas Kentucky was 10-0 before Samarie Walker started playing, they are 1-2 since, including a loss to Notre Dame. She's averaging 20 minutes and 8.3 points per game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not trying to make any implications, but just noting that whereas Kentucky was 10-0 before Samarie Walker started playing, they are 1-2 since, including a loss to Notre Dame. She's averaging 20 minutes and 8.3 points per game.
yes you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul