Mid-Summer Perspectives | The Boneyard

Mid-Summer Perspectives

Reaction Score
I have been waiting to see what was going to develop regarding college football in the fall, whether the WNBA and major league baseball would get off the ground, if UConn athletes returned to campus for summer practice on July 27, and to see whether or not the team’s three foreign players could get into the country. Some positive news and much negative news.

The overall sports situation looks cloudy. Yes, baseball has begun but already games involving the Miami Marlins, Philadelphia Phillies, and St. Louis Cardinals have been cancelled. Seen news report about the possibility of baseball closing down on Monday due to fact that a number of players are not following the protocols. And with the changes in the game - 60 game season, starting a runner on second base in extra innings, universal DH, and 7 inning doubleheaders - this does not seem to be real baseball. The WNBA and NBA have begun to play, but one wonders how many will watch as both have become extremely politicized. As for big time college football, as a general rule non conference games have been cancelled, the season opening delayed, and fewer games are on the schedule. Pro football is a big question mark.

With regard to college basketball, the situation looks somewhat brighter, but it is certainly possible that games may be limited to conference only and the start of the season delayed until January. It is wonderful that all the players have gotten back to campus, but the kicker is going to be, what will happen if/when a player or member of the staff tests positive for COVID-19? As we now know, the disease among the young is generally mild and many are non symptomatic. They do not face the perils that old geezers like many of us on the board face.

[ ]

Assuming there is one, whether full or abbreviated, the chances are that it will be either without fans entirely or limited to, say, 25%, of capacity. That would be acceptable as far as I am concerned. We can see the games either live, on replay, or both. Under ordinary circumstances, I would buy tickets for the New Big East tournament at Mohegan Sun Arena because there is nothing better than being there, but not now.

We can, however, hope for the best. We can hope that there will be a season and that our aspirations for the success of Paige Bueckers and other new players, the team, and the signing of Azzi Fudd will be realized. The future looks bright once the coronavirus hurdle is overcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Please bite your tongue on the Azzi Fudd thing....a lot of 'stuff' happens that we are unaware of in recruiting. I agree with everything else said above...just hope we have a healthy season.

Reaction Score
The way WNBA plays now is great. No audiences but live stream broadcasts works very well.

Reaction Score
The way WNBA plays now is great. No audiences but live stream broadcasts works very well.
MLB has been fine too. Yeah it's odd that there are no fans in the stands, but the camera shots crop out the stands and after a while you stop noticing, and the stadiums do their best with recreating a normal game day atmosphere from an audio standpoint.

Reaction Score
I say put cardboard cutouts in the stands with pictures of former players(if allowed) on them or just pictures of Geno and Kathy and Nana...or even his dog..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom