Mid-Season WNBA Awards/Teams | The Boneyard

Mid-Season WNBA Awards/Teams

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We're about halfway through the season, so I figured I'd start a thread. Here would be my picks:

MVP: Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota...seems to be an obvious favorite at this point in the year. Minnesota is outstanding and Fowles has been their best player. Her numbers match up against anyone.

ROY: Alisha Gray, Dallas...another easy pick. Only rookie averaging double figures and has been a steady contributor.

COY: Cheryl Reeve, Minnesota...Curt Miller is my 2nd option, Connecticut has been a lot better than expected, but Minnesota at a dominant 13-1 earns Reeve my vote.

DPOY: Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota...among lead leaders in blocks and steals. She has always been a standout defensively.

MIP: Jonquel Jones, Connecticut...also tempted to go with Chelsea Gray who has been phenomenal, or even Jasmine Thomas who has been one of the top guards in the league this year, but Jones is proving to be the steal of the 2016 draft and a player Connecticut can build a franchise around.

6th Woman of the Year: Erica Wheeler, Indiana...not sure if she counts since she's started half of the games. Otherwise, Tiffany Mitchell or Leilani Mitchell could nab this award.

All WNBA Teams using the standard C/F/F/G/G layout:
1st Team:

C-Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota....no brainer here, the leading candidate for MVP right now.

F-Tina Charles, New York...the ever steady Charles is putting together another solid campaign for New York who is in line to make the playoffs

F-Nneka Ogwumike, LA....another year with stellar numbers for Nneka and her team is solidly in 2nd place for the league.

G-Skylar Diggins, Dallas...she's been arguably the best guard in the league this year. Very good numbers after a relatively slow start. Dallas should have a good shot to make the playoffs.

G-Chelsea Gray, LA....she's evolved into one of the best offensive guards in the league and is a major reason why LA has been the 2nd best team in the league.

2nd Team:
C-Brittany Griner, Phoenix...probably would finish #2 in MVP voting if it happened today, but the WNBA always sticks to its format, and there's no way you can sell either Big Syl or Griner as forwards.

F-Elena Delle Donne, Washington....she's transitioned nicely into her role at Washington and has them in line for a playoff berth.

F-Jonquel Jones, Connecticut....I was tempted to go with Parker or Stewart here, but Jones has had the best year out of 3. Really good inside out player who can dominate inside and is a good long range shooter. She has been the star on an overachieving Connecticut squad, definitely this year's breakout player.

G-Jasmine Thomas, Connecticut...did anyone ever think she'd become an All-WNBA caliber player in the pros? I sure as heck didn't. What a great season for Thomas. I almost went with Taurasi or Hayes, but Connecticut has the best record out of the 3, and Thomas is among lead leaders in steals, assists, 3pt% and is shooting the ball better than either Diana or Tiffany.

G-Maya Moore, Minnesota....she's having somewhat of an underwhelming year compared to what we've seen from Maya, but she's still the best offensive player on Minnesota. I could definitely see her rising to 1st team with a strong 2nd half of the season.

Just missed:
F-Candace Parker, Los Angeles...for all of the flack she got for last game (where she was quite bad), she has put together another really solid year being a primary ball handler and distributor for LA. Even if Gray and Nneka get All-WNBA nods ahead of Parker, Candace is still the most important player on that team.

G-Tiffany Hayes, Atlanta....noted above, she's starting to quiet down after a hot start for Atlanta. Really good year for Hayes who has developed into one of the stronger guards in the league.

G-Diana Taurasi, Phoenix....DT is having an off year by her standards, but is starting to come around and is still putting up 18ppg, good for 7th in the league. I expect her numbers will go up as the season continues. I could definitely see her making a team by the end of the year.

G-Sue Bird, Seattle.....I bet she finds a way onto a team again and individually she's having a good year, but Seattle has been a bit of a disappointment thus far. Currently out of a playoff spot despite having Stewart, Loyd and Bird.

G-Loyd, Seattle....same explanation as Sue Bird.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with most of the awards, though I'd have to think about the 6th man.

In terms of the All-WNBA, I might flip a few between 1st and 2nd teams, especially Skylar and Chelsea.

Jewell was hot for about 6-8 games and then cold for about the same number. A month ago, I had her on the Olympic team. Now I have questions.

After tonight's game, Cheryl would decline the COY award. She must be unhappy. Her team was flat again.

Reaction Score
I also think you did an excellent job on your picks and I also would have to think longer on sixth man. There doesn't seem to be anyone who is an obvious choice. Renee Montgomery might be a good choice.

For COY I would definitely give it to Miller. Reeves has a contingent of proven players that she has a lot of experience with. Miller has nothing of the kind. He has a bunch of players most of whom he is with for only the second season and most of them are extremely young, which involves a lot more coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog
Top Bottom