Mid Season-ish All American/Award Picks | The Boneyard

Mid Season-ish All American/Award Picks

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Who ya got?

Player of the Year: Rhyne Howard, Kentucky. Howard has been every bit as good a year later and just looks like the smoothest and best player every time she steps on the court. Kentucky has the pieces to make a Final Four push, but Howard is the engine behind the team and has been fantastic this year.

Freshman of the Year: Paige Bueckers, UCONN. Bueckers is one of the most polished freshmen offensively the game has ever seen. Incredibly effective and efficient offensively and the clear standout from a team loaded with talent. Had she had big games against Louisville and Baylor, she'd be a realistic POY candidate right now.

Coach of the Year: Tara Vanderveer, Stanford. Stanford looks like the clear cut #1 team at this point of the season. It's hard to differentiate coaches with only a handful of games but I'd give Tara the nod, partially as a career award too for passing Pat and becoming #1 all time for wins. Other standouts so far are Wes Moore, Brenda Frese, and I'll throw some love towards Kim Barnes-Arico.

Defensive Player of the Year: Aari McDonald, Arizona. This has for sure recency biased attached, but McDonald is cat quick and an absolute nightmare for slower point guards. Her presence defensively completely rattled Oregon yesterday and she's always a steady presence defensively.

All American Teams:
1st Team:
Rhyne Howard-Kentucky
Haley Jones-Stanford
Dana Evans-Louisville
Naz Hillmon-Michigan
Paige Bueckers-UCONN

2nd Team:
Michaela Onyenwere-UCLA
Nalyssa Smith-Baylor
Aari McDonald-Arizona
Charli Collier-Texas
Elissa Cunane-NC State

3rd Team:
Chelsea Dungee-Arkansas
Aliyah Boston-South Carolina
Ashley Joens-Iowa State
Ashley Owusu-Maryland
Caitlin Clark-Iowa

All Freshman Team:

1st Team:
Paige Bueckers-UCONN
Caitlin Clark-Iowa
Tehina Pao Pao-Oregon
Hailey Van Lith-Louisville
Kamila Cardoso-Syracuse

2nd All Freshman Team:
Charlisse Leger-Walker, Washington State
Cameron Brink-Stanford
Diamond Johnson-Rutgers
Olivia Cochran-Louisville
Maddy Westbeld-Notre Dame

Reaction Score
I like N. Smith but I need to see more before putting her on there. She hasn't played her best this year. Naz from Michigan is exceptional, love her game.

Lavender Briggs could potentially make this list the way she keeps playing. She is a baller, she just doesn't have a great supporting cast.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Good thoughts. I'm not gonna try to come up w/ my picks for all of these. Just a couple counterpoints, from my Pac 12 centric view. For COY Tara is doing a great job, but Kamie Ethridge has taken a team picked to finish 11th of 12 in her conference and has them in 2nd place currently. They weren't particularly good last year and lost 3 of their top 4 scorers. They had almost nothing returning this year, at least on paper. The way they keep winning games is just short of remarkable to me.

DPOY, Aari is certainly a disruptive force. I haven't seen all of the games, but for Stanford in a recent stretch of games McDonald from Arizona, Osborne from UCLA and Paopao from Oregon all suffered thru very much sub par games. Those are 3 very good players. It may have been a team effort, but I think Anna Wilson was the primary defender in all 3 cases. I think she's gotta garner some serious consideration for DPOY at this point.

Reaction Score
Who ya got?

Player of the Year: Rhyne Howard, Kentucky. Howard has been every bit as good a year later and just looks like the smoothest and best player every time she steps on the court. Kentucky has the pieces to make a Final Four push, but Howard is the engine behind the team and has been fantastic this year.

Freshman of the Year: Paige Bueckers, UCONN. Bueckers is one of the most polished freshmen offensively the game has ever seen. Incredibly effective and efficient offensively and the clear standout from a team loaded with talent. Had she had big games against Louisville and Baylor, she'd be a realistic POY candidate right now.

Coach of the Year: Tara Vanderveer, Stanford. Stanford looks like the clear cut #1 team at this point of the season. It's hard to differentiate coaches with only a handful of games but I'd give Tara the nod, partially as a career award too for passing Pat and becoming #1 all time for wins. Other standouts so far are Wes Moore, Brenda Frese, and I'll throw some love towards Kim Barnes-Arico.

Defensive Player of the Year: Aari McDonald, Arizona. This has for sure recency biased attached, but McDonald is cat quick and an absolute nightmare for slower point guards. Her presence defensively completely rattled Oregon yesterday and she's always a steady presence defensively.

All American Teams:
1st Team:
Rhyne Howard-Kentucky
Haley Jones-Stanford
Dana Evans-Louisville
Naz Hillmon-Michigan
Paige Bueckers-UCONN

2nd Team:
Michaela Onyenwere-UCLA
Nalyssa Smith-Baylor
Aari McDonald-Arizona
Charli Collier-Texas
Elissa Cunane-NC State

3rd Team:
Chelsea Dungee-Arkansas
Ashley Joens-Iowa State
Ashley Owusu-Maryland
Caitlin Clark-Iowa

All Freshman Team:

1st Team:
Paige Bueckers-UCONN
Caitlin Clark-Iowa
Tehina Pao Pao-Oregon
Kamila Cardoso-Syracuse

2nd All Freshman Team:
Cameron Brink-Stanford
Diamond Johnson-Rutgers

I think Westbeld could be considered for the 1st team over Cardoso. It's early in the season and I could be splitting hairs, but she's playing more minutes and their numbers are comparable otherwise.

Syracuse is at a disadvantage because they haven't played as many games. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Who ya got?

All American Teams:
1st Team:
Rhyne Howard-Kentucky
Haley Jones-Stanford
Dana Evans-Louisville
Naz Hillmon-Michigan
Paige Bueckers-UCONN

2nd Team:
Michaela Onyenwere-UCLA
Nalyssa Smith-Baylor
Aari McDonald-Arizona
Charli Collier-Texas
Elissa Cunane-NC State

3rd Team:
Chelsea Dungee-Arkansas
Ashley Joens-Iowa State
Ashley Owusu-Maryland
Caitlin Clark-Iowa

All Freshman Team:

1st Team:
Paige Bueckers-UCONN
Caitlin Clark-Iowa
Tehina Pao Pao-Oregon
Kamila Cardoso-Syracuse

2nd All Freshman Team:
Cameron Brink-Stanford
Diamond Johnson-Rutgers
Who ya got?

All American Teams:
1st Team:
Rhyne Howard-Kentucky
Haley Jones-Stanford
Dana Evans-Louisville
Naz Hillmon-Michigan
Paige Bueckers-UCONN

2nd Team:
Michaela Onyenwere-UCLA
Nalyssa Smith-Baylor
Aari McDonald-Arizona
Charli Collier-Texas
Elissa Cunane-NC State

3rd Team:
Chelsea Dungee-Arkansas
Ashley Joens-Iowa State
Ashley Owusu-Maryland
Caitlin Clark-Iowa

All Freshman Team:

1st Team:
Paige Bueckers-UCONN
Caitlin Clark-Iowa
Tehina Pao Pao-Oregon
Kamila Cardoso-Syracuse

2nd All Freshman Team:
Cameron Brink-Stanford
Diamond Johnson-Rutgers
Do you know if two freshmen have ever made the AA teams recently?

Reaction Score
I would think that Kierstan Bell should get some recognition, though she doesn’t play in a P5 conference. She leads the FGCU team in scoring and rebounding. Currently averaging 22 points and 11 rebounds on 56% shooting. Also averages just a bit over 3 blocks per game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For the 5 Freshman, @bballnut90 has missed the mark with Paopao, Cardoso and Van Lith. Heck Cocheran has come on more for Louisville season to date over Haley and her efficiency stats state as much. Like @cancontent states, Westbeld has been the 3rd best Freshman this year after #1-Clark and #2 Bueckers.
My restated All Freshman Five is
Clark-the CLEAR leader for Freshman of the year at the moment (the finish could be different)
Bueckers
Westbeld
Leger-Walker (has anyone who voted seen her play? She's pretty freakin good and the reason WSU was ranked-albeit briefly).
Brink but Cochran was close for this 5th spot.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I would think that Kierstan Bell should get some recognition, though she doesn’t play in a P5 conference. She leads the FGCU team in scoring and rebounding. Currently averaging 22 points and 11 rebounds on 56% shooting. Also averages just a bit over 3 blocks per game.
I saw her play yesterday and she's good but she's not POY worthy good. FGCU was a fringe top 25 team the last two years and is so this year so Bell joined a good coach and program. She's not Jackie Styles or Kelsey Plum who vaulted their teams and their consideration into elite status.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Who ya got?

Who ya got?

Do you know if two freshmen have ever made the AA teams recently?

I believe the most recent time was A'ja Wilson and Kelsey Mitchell in 2015. Clark only makes it IMO if her team is top 25 or borderline top 25 (6 or 7 seed come tournament time).

Reaction Score
For the 5 Freshman, @bballnut90 has missed the mark with Paopao, Cardoso and Van Lith. Heck Cocheran has come on more for Louisville season to date over Haley and her efficiency stats state as much. Like @cancontent states, Westbeld has been the 3rd best Freshman this year after #1-Clark and #2 Bueckers.
Clark-the CLEAR leader for Freshman of the year at the moment (the finish could be different)
Bueckers
Westbeld
Leger-Walker (has anyone who voted seen her play? She's pretty freakin good and the reason WSU was ranked-albeit briefly).

Not yet unfortunately as PAC-12 coverage is hard for me to find. I need to figure out a way though because from what I've read, they sound fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Bueckers
Westbeld
Clark is taking 18.6 shots per game, shooting 46% from the field from the field, 37% from deep and 84% from the line, with 6.9 rebounds.

Van Lith is taking 9.8 shots per game, shooting 47% from the field, 38% from deep and 90% from the line, with 6.3 rebounds.

So I would contend that if the roles were reversed you'd see Hailey Van Lith averaging 25 for Iowa and Clark averaging 13-15 for Louisville.

I will also say that right now, as a Louisville fan, if I could keep only one of Cochran and Hailey Van Lith it would be a really tough choice. I'd probably go with Cochran because good bigs are so hard to find.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom