Mid Season Conf Coach of the Year Contenders | The Boneyard

Mid Season Conf Coach of the Year Contenders

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In looking at the P6 of WCBB at the halfway point of the conference schedule, I have composed a list of the contenders for each Conf Coach of the Year. In most cases, I have listed 3 coaches but some seem more clear cut.
The list is sorted by Conference, my ranking of the leaders. I added school and record.

CoachSchoolWLConfRk
WyckoffFSU
18​
4​
ACC
1​
LawsonDuke
17​
2​
ACC
2​
BrooksVaTech
16​
3​
ACC
3​
BaranczykOklahoma
16​
2​
B12
1​
FennellyIowa St
13​
4​
B12
2​
SchaeferTexas
14​
6​
B12
3​
AuriemmaUConn
18​
2​
BE
1​
DillonVillanova
18​
3​
BE
2​
RobertsUtah
16​
2​
PAC
1​
PayneColorado
15​
4​
PAC
2​
GottliebUSC
15​
4​
PAC
3​
MulkeyLSU
20​
0​
SEC
1​
StaleySC
20​
0​
SEC
2​
GreenIllinois
16​
4​
Ten
1​
McGufftOSU
19​
1​
Ten
2​
MoenIndiana
18​
1​
Ten
3​

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
In looking at the P6 of WCBB at the halfway point of the conference schedule, I have composed a list of the contenders for each Conf Coach of the Year. In most cases, I have listed 3 coaches but some seem more clear cut.
The list is sorted by Conference, my ranking of the leaders. I added school and record.

CoachSchoolWLConfRk
WyckoffFSU
18​
4​
ACC
1​
LawsonDuke
17​
2​
ACC
2​
BrooksVaTech
16​
3​
ACC
3​
BaranczykOklahoma
16​
2​
B12
1​
FennellyIowa St
13​
4​
B12
2​
SchaeferTexas
14​
6​
B12
3​
AuriemmaUConn
18​
2​
BE
1​
DillonVillanova
18​
3​
BE
2​
RobertsUtah
16​
2​
PAC
1​
PayneColorado
15​
4​
PAC
2​
GottliebUSC
15​
4​
PAC
3​
MulkeyLSU
20​
0​
SEC
1​
StaleySC
20​
0​
SEC
2​
GreenIllinois
16​
4​
Ten
1​
McGufftOSU
19​
1​
Ten
2​
MoenIndiana
18​
1​
Ten
3​
I think top candidates at this point are Lawson, McGuff, Moren, and Roberts. Green, Geno, Dawn and Kim all have cases too. Lots of season to go.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think top candidates at this point are Lawson, McGuff, Moren, and Roberts. Green, Geno, Dawn and Kim all have cases too. Lots of season to go.
My focus was more on the Conference Coach of the year, not the national coach. To me, Wyckoff is ahead of Lawson and Shauna Green is ahead of McGuff, which isn't to say what Lawson and especially McGuff has done isn't great but considering that FSU was so far under the radar and still is but is winning and with what Shauna inherited in a terrible situation to be winning is phenomenal.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Good mid-season list. Perhaps the only think I'd add is an "r" to the coach of Indiana (Moren) ;)

If Illinois even plateau's out now, she should still be a favorite in the B1G, but Kevin McGuff has done a great job restructuring his approach. And Coach Moren has also replaced three excellent starters, with holdovers, transfers and freshman, in making Indiana possibly better than they were last year.

I'll hold off on ACC and SEC until I see more of the season....

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As alluded to above, it might be a bit early, but . . .

It seems to me that the only good Big12 team that's performing at or above expectations is Baranczyk's Oklahoma.

Utah hasn't exactly come out of nowhere, but did anyone expect them to be top-10 in the second half of the season? Lynne Roberts has done a great job.

I couldn't make an argument against Wyckoff or Lawson in the ACC.

I hate to say it, but LSU's success has surprised me. Unless there is a (certainly possible) meltdown, I think Kim deserves the award in the SEC.

B1G is wide open. I expected Indiana to be good, but whoa. Same with Ohio State. And for me Illinois has come out of nowhere.

If UConn runs the Big East, I think it's Geno's. Yeah, they have a lot of talent, but geez louise, they've gone through a lot.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but LSU's success has surprised me. Unless there is a (certainly possible) meltdown, I think Kim deserves the award in the SEC.
Not sure how well my take will be but I personally think Kim's work with her first team she inherited last year was one of her best coaching jobs of her career. It was more than just jumping from 9 wins to 26 wins. Everything from the the play on the court to filling up the arena in a blink was jaw dropping even for year 1 expectations. It was the best regular season since Sylvia Fowles was a senior and they won their first NCAAT game in over 7 years after sustaining a injury to a key All SEC performer. That was worthy of all the praise and accolades.

This year however, she has a more talented players which she worked through the portal and recruiting. 8 of the 10 scholarship players she has were not in the program a year ago. Its been a challenge working in new faces. There is a level of inflation from the weak schedule but she shouldn't win SEC coach of the year (this season) unless she wins the conference outright (which isn't going to happen with a stout SC team)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom