Mid Season Awards | The Boneyard

Mid Season Awards

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Here are my thoughts on awards/AA honors midway through the season:

POY: Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
COY: Dawn Staley, South Carolina (could be any number of coaches right now)
FOY: Aliyah Boston, South Carolina
DPOY: Lauren Cox, Baylor (if eligible). Otherwise, Didi Richards, Baylor.

1st Team All Americans:
Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Nalyssa Smith, Baylor
Megan Walker, Connecticut
Dana Evans, Louisville

2nd Team All Americans:
Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA
Lauren Cox, Baylor
Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
Ruthy Hebard, Oregon

3rd Team All Americans:
Aliyah Boston, South Carolina
Satou Sabally, Oregon
Aari McDonald, Arizona
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M
Elissa Cunane, NC State

4th Team/High HM:
Te'a Cooper, Baylor
Crystal Dangerfield, Connecticut
Rennia Davis, Tennessee
Kiah Gillespie, Florida State
Christyn Williams, Connecticut

All Freshman Team:
Taylor Jones, Oregon State
Rickea Jackson, Mississippi State
Jordan Horston, Tennessee
Haley Jones, Stanford

All Freshman 2nd Team:
Ashley Owusu, Maryland
Zia Cooke, South Carolina
Sam Brunelle, Notre Dame
Anaya Peoples, Notre Dame
Kierstan Bell, Ohio State

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pretty good selections.

I agree that has had an AA-caliber season. When was the last time a freshman made AA?

Other names in the mix: Doyle, Pulliam, Dungee, Guirantes, Willard

Reaction Score
All Freshman Team:
Taylor Jones, Oregon State
Rickea Jackson, Mississippi State
Jordan Horston, Tennessee
Haley Jones, Stanford

All Freshman 2nd Team:
Ashley Owusu, Maryland
Zia Cooke, South Carolina
Sam Brunelle, Notre Dame
Anaya Peoples, Notre Dame
Kierstan Bell, Ohio State

I would have Siegrist (Villanova), Holmes (Indiana) and Pili (Southern California) before Horston, Cooke and Brunelle, respectively. Unfortunately Peoples won't make the year end awards as she is out for the season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Pretty good selections.

I agree that has had an AA-caliber season. When was the last time a freshman made AA?

Other names in the mix: Doyle, Pulliam, Dungee, Guirantes, Willard

Kelsey Mitchell made 2nd team in 2015, same with A'ja Wilson. Always thought Turner deserved to be on one of those teams that year too.

Notables who were overlooked as freshmen include Kristine Anigwe (20ppg, 9rpg as a frosh) and Chennedy Carter (23ppg, 5 apg as a freshman).

I could see Boston being overlooked as a freshman, although I think she's deserving at this point, especially if SC gets a #1 seed and maintains its #1 ranking.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would put Iowa's coach Lisa Bluder as a candidate for Mid-season Coach of the year. I assumed they were gonna take a setback this season, but despite their losses to the Huskies and UNI..... they have been been much better than expected.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I would have Siegrist (Villanova), Holmes (Indiana) and Pili (Southern California) before Horston, Cooke and Brunelle, respectively. Unfortunately Peoples won't make the year end awards as she is out for the season.

Good additions....haven't seen Siegrist or heard of her until just now, but agree based on her production. I'd keep Horston on there, maybe at 2nd team, even though she isn't the most efficient. 10 points, 6 boards, 5 assists for a top 25 team is pretty solid.

I'd bump Bell, Peoples and either Brunelle or Cooke for the ones you mentioned. Looks like a really strong freshman class which is great considering the 2020 and 2021 graduating classes are underwhelming.

Reaction Score
Dawn Staley seems hands down COY in my opinion so far. Her team is so young but playing like a team that could win it all.

Reaction Score
How often do non-P5 freshmen make one of those lists. Seems like there have been some really good ones in lower leagues.

Just looked and I did not realize Key has the most blocks among SEC freshmen. She is averaging nearly 5 a game in SEC play. Raw as heck offensively, but it'll be interesting to see if they can tap into that potential. It is certainly there.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
How often do non-P5 freshmen make one of those lists. Seems like there have been some really good ones in lower leagues.

Just looked and I did not realize Key has the most blocks among SEC freshmen. She is averaging nearly 5 a game in SEC play. Raw as heck offensively, but it'll be interesting to see if they can tap into that potential. It is certainly there.

Potential is definitely there with her, Green and Horston all being in the same class (assuming Green uses all of her eligibility). All have a lot of work to do but that's a great core to build around. Kellie needs to land some good kids to fill in the gaps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom