Mid Range game - lost art | The Boneyard

Mid Range game - lost art

Reaction Score
We've got some decent shooters on our squad....but they seem to fall in love with shooting behind the arc.
Here's a thought. Since we kinda play inside our, because good things happen when Sanogo gets touches on offense, maybe we fall less in love with simply standing behind the arc and incorporate shots a little closer to the basket as well??? There are a few guys I remember us having that had decent success with a mixture of both (Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton)

Reaction Score
So you have just missed the math movement over the last 10 years in basketball....dunks or layups.
No, what i mentioned involves using more basketball IQ

Reaction Score
We've got some decent shooters on our squad....but they seem to fall in love with shooting behind the arc.
Here's a thought. Since we kinda play inside our, because good things happen when Sanogo gets touches on offense, maybe we fall less in love with simply standing behind the arc and incorporate shots a little closer to the basket as well??? There are a few guys I remember us having that had decent success with a mixture of both (Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton)
It's a tough sell when your exhibit A+B are HoFers - no one on this team is even close to being in the same stratosphere as those 2. I get your point, but mid range shots in modern bball should pretty much always be 3rd option behind dunk/layups and 3pters

Reaction Score
It's one of the things that made RIP special. When you shoot it at a high percentage it indeed can be a big weapon. It can really open up the high low game and jumping at a pump fake there can be disaster for the defense. Centers and forwards have less time to react with the shorter distance and it can end a zone in a hurry, too.

Isn't it suppose to be a big part of Karban's game. Anxious to see how Hurley works it in next year.

Reaction Score
It isn't 2004. If the defense gives you a mid-range shot you take it, but it shouldn't be a part of our scheming on offense at all.

Isn't it suppose to be a big part of Karban's game. Anxious to see how Hurley works it in next year.

Not really. He shoots 3s and bangs under the basket primarily. His release is too low to be very consistently effective from the 3 point line.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I absolutely concur. We were wing U, we used to run pro curls to perfection. Now we shoot exclusively from outside the arc or inside the lane. Everything else is no man's land

Reaction Score
The sabermetric guys in the NBA have determined that the midrange jump shot is the worst shot to take in the game. That’s why it has all but disappeared in the league. I have to imagine if Jordan or Kobe played in todays day their games would be a lot different. The fade away from the elbow would be a 3 point shot now. Curry changed the game and it has trickled down to the highschool level and even lower.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's a tough sell when your exhibit A+B are HoFers - no one on this team is even close to being in the same stratosphere as those 2. I get your point, but mid range shots in modern bball should pretty much always be 3rd option behind dunk/layups and 3pters
True, but a player like Jackson would be much more of a threat with a mid range option. Just because dunks and 3 pointers dominate, it doesn’t mean that in the right hands a mid range is silly. Jackson’s other skills (driving and passing) would get a boost with the attention he might draw at 12-15 feet. He’s not a good 3 shooter despite a bit of a misleading stat and he drives into impossible layups a lot. His gifts are unusual but with big limitations that maybe an ounce of mid range might help.

Reaction Score
Two thoughts:

1- Hurley said earlier this year he wanted guys to take 3's instead of long 2's. This is consistent with the direction of basketball from the high school level on up. (I personally hate it).

2- I think there's a way to be contrarian and take advantage of defenses if you can have a strong mid-range game because other teams are not going to be able to defend it because no one really plays this way. Belichick was always scheming (offensively and defensively) in terms of what's next, not what's now; this creates match-up issues and success.

Give me basketball players with skills that are difficult to match up with - I'll take that 8 days a week. Example: 'Nova.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No you are wrong. The game plans are built to take no mid range or very few mid range shots, it's statistically a bad shot... it isn't about BBQ. In college you do what the coach says.

The math is wrong because none of the sabermetrics take into account that basketball shots are not independent events. They are directly related to what comes immediately before and have a direct effect on what comes immediately after.

If all a team does is take 3's and try dunks, it will change how the defense plays them, which will lead to lower percentages on attempted 3's and dunks.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The math is wrong because none of the sabermetrics take into account that basketball shots are not independent events. They are directly related to what comes immediately before and have a direct effect on what comes immediately after.

If all a team does is take 3's and try dunks, it will change how the defense plays them, which will lead to lower percentages on attempted 3's and dunks.
If this were true nba teams would exploit this… but outside of embiid the mid range shot isn’t even taken even when given. You can’t say the math is wrong as it’s more you don’t believe the inputs to be correct

Reaction Score
If this were true nba teams would exploit this… but outside of embiid the mid range shot isn’t even taken even when given. You can’t say the math is wrong as it’s more you don’t believe the inputs to be correct

Durant. Durants #s from mid-range breaks all the stat nerds systems.

Reaction Score
Demar DeRozan lives off of the midrange game and he's devastating with it. It's a shame it's been phased out of the game and young talented players aren't being taught they could be unstoppable with it.

Reaction Score
Well, UConn players have shown they are crappy shooters from 3 and up close so maybe they are the exception and should try mid range shots.

How about the boys spend a practice watching Azzi Fudd shoot. Or better yet, hire whoever taught her.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Durant. Durants #s from mid-range breaks all the stat nerds systems.
Yes he is the other person, but him and embiid have the same situation where they are giants who can shoot so the mid range shot can't be appropriately statistically quantified.

Reaction Score
Not that I'm advocating for us to pretend it's 1996 but the big problem with NBA analytics applied to college hoops is that college players aren't professional athletes and certainly aren't professional shooters. Also, there are elite penetrators and PnR playmakers throughout the NBA that make it easier to get open looks. Very few college teams have that luxury. Not to mention the college game is still more physical and played at a slower pace. Look no further than Cade Cunningham's college season: he looked very underwhelming for a hyped up #1 pick. Still, now that he's in the NBA he's just fine.

If Hurley tried to exclusively run an NBA offense with this roster (and we do have plays commonly run in the NBA) it won't lead to much. We don't have a PnR point guard, let alone an elite one. We don't have a roster littered with shooters to help stretch the floor. The reality is our offense is at its best when we're playing 80/90s basketball: inside-out through Sanogo.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score

And therefore more open mid-range shots.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Well, UConn players have shown they are crappy shooters from 3 and up close so maybe they are the exception and should try mid range shots.

How about the boys spend a practice watching Azzi Fudd shoot. Or better yet, hire whoever taught her.

Or maybe the guys percentages would be better using the toy ball women play with.

Stands to reason that a smaller ball has a better chance of going through an equal size hoop, no?

I mean that's just math.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It's the worst shot to take. Although who remembers Jeff Adrian's knock down jumper from the elbow? It was money.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The midrange J is a low percentage shot in terms of value. That being said, Cole usually has a real good pull up from the FT line. I'm way more comfortable with Cole pulling up from 12'-15' than I am with him trying to drive the lane for layups.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom