Mid Point Conference POY Candidates | The Boneyard

Mid Point Conference POY Candidates

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
ACC-Evans the leader, Cunnane #2
Big 12-Ashley Joens, Charlie Collier #2
Big10-Naz Hillmon, Owusu/Clark/Guirantes/Berger/Pulliam in a tight race #2
SEC-Dungee, Howard, Boston in a dead heat pending the games played over the next two weeks
PAC12-Onyenwere #1, Jones/McDonald/Leger-Walker in a tight race #2
Big East-Bueckers #1, Siegrist #2

Thoughts?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Honestly Stanford killed Leger-Walker's candidacy. Absolutely erased her in 2 straight games and the Cougs have fallen completely out of the race. She may still be the leader for FOY but I can't take her seriously as a POY candidate. Take a look at her FG%--it ain't good. :rolleyes:

And you're missing Charisma Osborne. Her FG% isn't great either, but better than Leger-Walker's, especially from 3.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ACC-Evans the leader, Cunnane #2
Big 12-Ashley Joens, Charlie Collier #2
Big10-Naz Hillmon, Owusu/Clark/Guirantes/Berger/Pulliam in a tight race #2
SEC-Dungee, Howard, Boston in a dead heat pending the games played over the next two weeks
Big East-Bueckers #1, Siegrist #2

Thoughts?
Got to disagree on the SEC portion. Rhyne is playing too well and has probably locked up not only SEC award but also ALL the national awards (Naismith, Wade, Wooden).
I also like McDonald to win Pac 12 award and DPOY.

Reaction Score
Got to disagree on the SEC portion. Rhyne is playing too well and has probably locked up not only SEC award but also ALL the national awards (Naismith, Wade, Wooden).
I also like McDonald to win Pac 12 award and DPOY.
Is Howard the rightful SEC POY, though? I like Howard and am a fan of her game, but her PPG production is down a tad this year and it’s not like Kentucky is a contender in the SEC race. I do believe Howard is a terrific player and will be an outstanding pro, but it feels to me that she’s been somewhat anointed as the SEC/NPOY. I would love to hear the argument for her — I just haven’t seen it. Jones of A&M and Boston are, to me, just as viable candidates.

Reaction Score
A few of my picks would be:

Ohio Valley: Chelsea Perry, Tennessee-Martin
Summit: Hannah Sjerven, Yotes and Myah Selland, Jacks in a very tight race.
Missouri Valley:
MAC:
Cierra Hooks, Ohio University
America East: Blanca Milan, Maine
Colonial: Kionna Jeter, Towson
A-Sun: Jazzy Bond, North Florida
Big East: Madison Siegrist, Villanova (As good as Paige Bueckers is, I can't ignore what Maddy Siegrist is doing over at Villanova. It's not about potential, or how good UConn is with Bueckers....Maddy Siegrist is putting together a damn good season.)
Pac-12: Michaela Oyenwere, UCLA
SEC: Rhyne Howard, UK
BIG10: Naz Hillmon, Michigan
Big12: Ashley Joens, Iowa State
ACC: Dana Evans, Louisville
MAAC: Lou Lopez-Senechal, Fairfield
WCC: Shaylee Gonzalez, BYU
American: I don't even know. Surely, Mia Davis and IImar'i Thomas aren't in contention because their teams aren't doing that great even with the fine years they're having? USF or UCF don't really have anyone standing out outside of Pinzan's assists on USF.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is Howard the rightful SEC POY, though? I like Howard and am a fan of her game, but her PPG production is down a tad this year and it’s not like Kentucky is a contender in the SEC race. I do believe Howard is a terrific player and will be an outstanding pro, but it feels to me that she’s been somewhat anointed as the SEC/NPOY. I would love to hear the argument for her — I just haven’t seen it. Jones of A&M and Boston are, to me, just as viable candidates.
One thing to keep in mind is preseason publicity. You used the right word with Howard "anointed". Howard was going to have to play really really poorly to not defend her SEC POY and her National Freshman of the year in her first two season. Jones is having a terrific season but there is usually not a fresh start or reset.
Kentucky is also exactly where they finished last year 4th in SEC.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Howard is a shoe-in for SEC POY. She’s not nearly the dominant player that she was last year. It could be a # of players...Dungee, Boston, Jones all have a shot.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Howard is a shoe-in for SEC POY. She’s not nearly the dominant player that she was last year. It could be a # of players...Dungee, Boston, Jones all have a shot.

I guess I'm missing something about Howard, because I just don't see it. Just because ESPN picked her as the person to hype up for POY this season, doesn't mean she should be. To me, with her team's record, I wouldn't even make her a 1st team AP AA. There is 0 way I would ever pick her over Alliyah Boston as the player I would want on my team. Boston affects the game in so many ways and all Howard does is score, from what I can see. To me, Boston is the SEC POY and it's not really that close.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I guess I'm missing something about Howard, because I just don't see it. Just because ESPN picked her as the person to hype up for POY this season, doesn't mean she should be. To me, with her team's record, I wouldn't even make her a 1st team AP AA. There is 0 way I would ever pick her over Alliyah Boston as the player I would want on my team. Boston affects the game in so many ways and all Howard does is score, from what I can see. To me, Boston is the SEC POY and it's not really that close.
I guess that’s why forums like this exist to debate differing perspectives as I do think Dungee, Boston have taken a step ahead of Howard but NOT a clear step at this point of the season. With big games on TV upcoming Boston will sink or swim and unless Howard starts helping her team win close games against their peer group (any team not named SC), I think she continues to slip. This is evident by the latest ESPN articles and coverage of other SEC players and other conference leaders for National POY like Dana Evans or Michaela Onyenwere.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I guess that’s why forums like this exist to debate differing perspectives as I do think Dungee, Boston have taken a step ahead of Howard but NOT a clear step at this point of the season. With big games on TV upcoming Boston will sink or swim and unless Howard starts helping her team win close games against their peer group (any team not named SC), I think she continues to slip. This is evident by the latest ESPN articles and coverage of other SEC players and other conference leaders for National POY like Dana Evans or Michaela Onyenwere.
Dungee i don't see as a candidate right now with Arkansas in 9th place in the conference. Howard and Boston are the main front-runners.

Reaction Score
^^^ Agreed.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This season Howard averages 19.3 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 3.7 apg, and 1.7 spg.

So, she does a lot more than score for the team.

When it comes to team record, I think you have to look at who is on whose team.
In Kentucky's SEC games only, Howard and one other player are averaging double digit scoring (and one at 9.1) For the full season, Patterson and Edwards averaged double digit points but in SEC only Patterson does at 10ppg.

South Carolina has Boston and three other players averaging double digit scoring (and one at 9pts) in both Full Season play and SEC play.

So, Boston has a lot more help to have South Carolina at a good spot, including fellow Wooden Award midseason nominee Zia Cooke.

So, who is better between the two can be debated, they both bring different elements to a team. But to say Howard isn't a 1st AP AA because of her team's record...that's not fair. You could argue Kentucky's record is even where it is because of her play.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
This season Howard averages 19.3 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 3.7 apg, and 1.7 spg.

So, she does a lot more than score for the team.

When it comes to team record i, I think you have to look at who is on whose team.
In Kentucky's SEC games only, Howard and one other player are averaging double digit scoring (and one at 9.1) For the full season, Patterson and Edwards averaged double digit points but in SEC only Patterson does at 10ppg.

South Carolina has Boston and three other players averaging double digit scoring (and one at 9pts) in both Full Season play and SEC play.

So, Boston has a lot more help to have South Carolina at a good spot, including fellow Wooden Award midseason nominee Zia Cooke.

So, who is better between the two can be debated, they both bring different elements to a team. But to say Howard isn't a 1st AP AA because of her team's record...that's not fair. You could argue Kentucky's record is even where it is because of her play.
The big difference for me is this year, Howard has more talent around her yet the team seems less successful. Great players make other players better and that is not what I see when I watch Kentucky this year. Part of it is the coaching but the other part is the player. Kentucky is underperforming given Patterson, Massengale, Owens, Howard, Edwards and Green. So, like I said, I view her close to Dungee and Boston and in the conversation for AA with more of the season still to play.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Dungee i don't see as a candidate right now with Arkansas in 9th place in the conference. Howard and Boston are the main front-runners.
No idea on Dungee per se, but I think you are writing off Arkansas early. If they can beat both Baylor and UConn, and have losses primarily to the better teams then they have the ability I think to raise their conference position. I put them in the "wouldn't want to play them" category.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
No idea on Dungee per se, but I think you are writing off Arkansas early. If they can beat both Baylor and UConn, and have losses primarily to the better teams then they have the ability I think to raise their conference position. I put them in the "wouldn't want to play them" category.

Arkansas can raise its position but they'll need to finish top 4 at the lowest for Dungee to have a real shot at SEC POY. Theyre in 9th place in the league. Wins over UCONN and Baylor are great for NCAA seeding but don't mean squat for conference awards where only conference games are considered. Head to head Rhyne Howard is better than Dungee in almost every statistical category and her team is in 4th place instead of 9th. Looking at SEC play only, no one would give Dungee POY over Howard at this point. Not to mention Aliyah Boston.

As a team I havent written off Arkansas, I think they're extremely dangerous when they play hard as we saw vs UCONN and their upset for Baylor. They proved me wrong when I thought UCONN would clobber them. They also played A&M and Kentucky both close as well. They haven't talent, but consistency has not been there. Id rather face Kentucky than Arkansas in the NCAAs if I'm a 1 or 2 seed but we're talking about conference POY, and at this point in time I dont think Dungee is a viable candidate.

Reaction Score
I have had problem with Howard from the first. I don't think she is a good team player. In every game I have seen, I don't like her attitude on the court.

My choice would be among Elissa, Aliyah, Naz, and Paige for what each does to help their team win. Also, Cunane has the best smile in the game. Hey, and in the Louisville game, she just came back from a month lay off.

Reaction Score
4 of Arks last 7 are against the bottom half of the conference , and 2 of other 3 are LSU and Bama.
they’re not gonna stay in 9th

bballnut90

Reaction Score
4 of Arks last 7 are against the bottom half of the conference , and 2 of other 3 are LSU and Bama.
they’re not gonna stay in 9th
Even with a strong finish, odds are unlikely they'll finish top 4. Only once in 34 years has the SEC POY been on a team that finished lower than 4th. She's a very talented player, but she is a strong candidate for SEC POY right now.

Reaction Score
The big difference for me is this year, Howard has more talent around her yet the team seems less successful.
Coaching is failing Kentucky badly. Not that I think Mitchell is some coaching genius, he's not, but IMO they are hurting a bit with his absence.

Kentucky looks like a team of a bunch of talented players with no chemistry or guidance unfortunately. I think its one thing to start the year slow (reasonable for everyone given circumstances) but I don't feel like they are improving at all as the season is going along. I feel they should be way better given whats on paper.

For SEC POY, still up in the air but Boston, Howard and Dungee are top picks. How the rest of the season plays out will determine it.

I wanna give a small shoutout to Lavendar Briggs, she is a baller. She won't win anything more than All SEC due to Florida being really bad but she is a terrific player.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Can we revisit this one? Pac 12 is hard to figure. Jones and Osborne have faded. Probably between Onyenwere, McDonald and Kiana Williiams who has reasserted herself.

And while I'm not really advocating her for the POY, it's kinda hard to ignore that Goodman is scoring while shooting A LOT better than any of these other Pac 12 guards who are in the running.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Does the loss today by UCLA to OSU take the shine off of Onyenwere? She wasn't so hot today. Tomorrow's game could be the showdown for the Conference #1 seed and POY. Williams, McDonald and a distant 3rd Jones could all make a strong case on National TV....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom