Mid-majors | The Boneyard

Mid-majors

Reaction Score
This last weekend, decided to watch a few games between teams that I knew wouldn't advance in the NCAA tournament, if they managed to win their conference. I was pleasantly surprised by four teams: Drake, Florida Gulf Coast, Saint Francis, and Grambling State. I think that UCONN plays the best and prettiest basketball in the country, but I am happy to see some of these teams getting much better.

Drake leads the country in assists per game. They have smart players with excellent passing skills; they constantly move without the ball and make good adjustments to game situations. They are not tall or athletic, but they are aggressive and physical. Their bench scored over half their points in the MVC final with three players in double figures. I hope they can give Texas A&M a good game.

FGCU has Rose Julien, who I think is one of the better players in the country. The other player to watch is China Dow, who is short and heavy, but can shoot the 3 and get the rebounds. They play a strong, aggressive game, that is fun to watch on offense and defense. They might be able to control Missouri, I hope.

Saint Francis (PA) will play UCONN. I watched them play the three NEC tournament games. In my opinion, they are better than any other first round team UCONN has played. Their star player is Jessica Kovatch who scored 39, 35, and 29 points in the three games. She made 20 of 40 from 3 point range. Many of her threes were from 4 to 6 feet beyond the three point line. She is the second leading scorer in the country, just ahead of Kelsey Mitchell. They have a forward, Ace Harrison, who is an aggressive rebounder and team assist leader at 6'2". They have a reasonable freshmen red shirt guard, Caitlyn Kroll. UCONN should not look beyond them.

Grambling is probably the lowest rated team in the NCAA tournament. But, if you want to see a celebration at the end a tournament, watch the last minutes of the SWAC championship game on Saturday. Shakyla Hill leads the team in points, assists, rebounds, and steals. She has the only quadruple double in recent college basketball. I don't really think they have a chance against Baylor, unless Shakyla can take the ball away every time Baylor brings it up court. She is 5'7" at most and is one of the quickest players I've seen.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't see the mid majors play very often. I've seen Gonzaga occasionally in recent years, they have a really good player in redshirt Junior Jill Barta. Combo forward, but they lack much size so she has to play in the post some. She shoots well behind the arc, can drive and operate in the post. Averages 18.8 pts and 8.4 rebounds per game. Has a chance at becoming their all time leading scorer next season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Jessica Kovatch is the real deal.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't see the mid majors play very often. I've seen Gorgonzola occasionally in recent years, they have a really good player in redshirt Junior Jill Barta. Combo forward, but they lack much size so she has to play in the post some. She shoots well behind the arc, can drive and operate in the post. Averages 18.8 pts and 8.4 rebounds per game. Has a chance at becoming their all time leading scorer next season.
I would love to check out some of that Gorgonzola basketball! :)

The Buffalo-Central Michigan game really impressed me; both teams play hard and have talent. I believe Buffalo is a real threat to South Florida, and CMU is capable of beating LSU.

The Green Bay-Minnesota game will be a classic defense vs. offense matchup. Very intriguing matchup of contrasting styles. Green Bay is the highest-seeded mid-major at #7.

South Dakota State, a #8 seed, takes on Villanova in another intriguing matchup.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I would love to check out some of that Gorgonzola basketball! :)

Ha! I know that's not what I typed. Must've been a retroactive auto correct, I definitely did not see it appear that way as I was posting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
South Dakota State, a #8 seed, takes on Villanova in another intriguing matchup.

Didn't SDSU almost take out Stanford in the first round a few years ago? The 'Furd had their hands full w/ New Mexico St. (and the separated at birth twin Karlie Samuelson never knew she had) last year. Maybe there's something to them and mid majors in first round games, which might give...Gorgonzola some hope. The Zags did beat Stanford at Maples in OOC last year.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Ha! I know that's not what I typed. Must've been a retroactive auto correct, I definitely did not see it appear that way as I was posting.

Damn, I thought it was deliberate. Like saying New Hamster instead of New Hampshire.

Reaction Score
Jessica Kovatch is the real deal.
I saw her in their tournament and also was very impressed.
Today told a different story.
She's a very good player in her element of the good mid major programs. So much of what she did today was forced and pressured often thanks to Kia.
I just had the thought that Molly and her might be of similar skill sets or levels. So at best if she was or is capable of being at U Conn it would be as a very secondary player.
That doesn't mean she's not a very good player but just not ready or able to do it on the biggest stage against the best.
While im sure she will examine her play today and do what she can to improve. The problem is she won't get too many opportunities to play against the level of play that U Conn brings. It's why so many very good teams aren't prepared once the bell rings and they play U Conn to face the skill, speed and pressure. I think as the announcers said today they tried to make good passes that would have worked against their usual level of competition but surely not against U Conn.
Her very sweet and honest comments about Geno now knowing her name says a lot.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I was happy to see Buffalo, Central Michigan, and FGCU win upsets. I really enjoyed watching the games. I was disappointed with Grambling, but I expected way too much. I thought Saint Francis would be more competitive, but they were playing the Golden State Warriors! The Big East 4-0 so far and that's an improvement over previous tournaments. Quinnipiac beat Miami again.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I saw her in their tournament and also was very impressed.
Today told a different story.
She's a very good player in her element of the good mid major programs. So much of what she did today was forced and pressured often thanks to Kia.
I just had the thought that Molly and her might be of similar skill sets or levels. So at best if she was or is capable of being at U Conn it would be as a very secondary player.
That doesn't mean she's not a very good player but just not ready or able to do it on the biggest stage against the best.
While im sure she will examine her play today and do what she can to improve. The problem is she won't get too many opportunities to play against the level of play that U Conn brings. It's why so many very good teams aren't prepared once the bell rings and they play U Conn to face the skill, speed and pressure. I think as the announcers said today they tried to make good passes that would have worked against their usual level of competition but surely not against U Conn.
Her very sweet and honest comments about Geno now knowing her name says a lot.
Bronx23
There have been many star players on P5 teams who experienced the same thing she did today, AA players. Her performance today does not mean she can't score against the better teams in the country. Laska go shut out in one game this season by UCONN and she is AA material.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom