Mid-American Conference Cancels Fall College Football Season | The Boneyard

Mid-American Conference Cancels Fall College Football Season

Reaction Score
As rumored...

>>The Mid-American Conference has canceled its football season this fall because of player health and safety concerns regarding COVID-19, sources told Stadium.

The 12-member MAC is the first Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conference opting not to play this fall. On Wednesday, UConn, an independent, became the first FBS school to announce it would not play this year.

The MAC reached its decision Saturday morning in a vote by the league’s presidents, sources said. The conference presidents initially met Thursday to finalize the league’s scheduling format. However, Northern Illinois president Lisa Freeman, a former research scientist at the University of Rochester School of Medicine, indicated her school would not play this fall because of the health and safety concerns, sources said.

“The league didn’t like the look of NIU going out on their own and not playing,” said a source, explaining the MAC’s non-vote on Thursday.<<

Reaction Score
>>The question now is this: Will other FBS leagues follow suit and cancel their seasons?

“A Group of Five league canceling would make our presidents more nervous in an already nerve-racking time,” a Group of Five athletic director said.

Added a Power Five AD: “Everyone understands the financial implications without a football season, but will the other conference presidents want to take the chance of something happening on campus — [like] a major COVID outbreak that shuts down the football program and the campus? That would be a major PR hit and then there’s the liability concerns. “Who knows? I guess we’ll find out soon enough.”<<

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
RIP in piece Tuesday and Wednesday night MAC-tion

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
According to ESPN, not only football but all fall sports are cancelled.

Others will follow.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And the curious question about spring football or spring football with permitted exhibition games can at least be cloud talked over the next month or two. Of course there cannot be spring football without medical advancements which I think goes without saying...but anyways.

Reaction Score
The MAC plays football?...

They should make the cancellation permanent....

Who cares? It's the MAC....

Reaction Score
Anyone think this could spur a push to move the G5 to a permanent spring league,?

Reaction Score

We've heard this for a long time. But in that type of arrangement, are Texas or Michigan Fans going to be happy with perpetual 6-6, records? Michigan can go 9-4 beating 2 MAC schools, Rutgers, Purdue, NW, Indiana, a 2nd tier bowl etc.

I think that sounds good but that type of deal brings with it some mediocrity that those programs may not be accustomed to.

Reaction Score
And the curious question about spring football or spring football with permitted exhibition games can at least be cloud talked over the next month or two. Of course there cannot be spring football without medical advancements which I think goes without saying...but anyways.
One of the vaccines currently under concurrent trial and production will have to be 75% effective or higher. Fauci says that is unlikely for the early vaccines.

Reaction Score
I heard Dan Hawkins on Sirrius the other day talking about the potential for spring football. (Hawkins coaches UC Davis and previously coached at Boise St. and Colorado.) He basically said spring football really doesn't make sense and there is no way athletes could play a lot of games in the spring and then play a new season in the fall. He did say that you could have an abbreviated spring season.

Reaction Score
I heard Dan Hawkins on Sirrius the other day talking about the potential for spring football. (Hawkins coaches UC Davis and previously coached at Boise St. and Colorado.) He basically said spring football really doesn't make sense and there is no way athletes could play a lot of games in the spring and then play a new season in the fall. He did say that you could have an abbreviated spring season.

Heard that it could be 8 games in spring and then next “fall season” would be 8 games giving a longer break in btwn seasons for recovery and then back on schedule...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom