OT: - Michigan State's Tom Izzo condemns criticism of his players as 'despicable' | The Boneyard

OT: Michigan State's Tom Izzo condemns criticism of his players as 'despicable'

Reaction Score

Now that everyone has a platform, they feel their word is important and, IMO, feel too empowered to run their mouth, as evidenced by this story and past stories about tweets towards AG. I am not sure what the solution is but it really puts into perspective how ignorant a lot of people are. Don't get me wrong, some people write legitimate critiques but a lot of it is really vile stuff you would never say to someone's face. Personally I could never imagine sending a player a message, especially since they are still kids (18-19) or young adults in the first years of adulthood (20-22, maybe 23). I might cheer for them, but I don't know them, I am not going to send them some disparaging message. Isn't that common sense?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Now that everyone has a platform, they feel their word is important and, IMO, feel too empowered to run their mouth, as evidenced by this story and past stories about tweets towards AG. I am not sure what the solution is but it really puts into perspective how ignorant a lot of people are. Don't get me wrong, some people write legitimate critiques but a lot of it is really vile stuff you would never say to someone's face. Personally I could never imagine sending a player a message, especially since they are still kids (18-19) or young adults in the first years of adulthood (20-22, maybe 23). I might cheer for them, but I don't know them, I am not going to send them some disparaging message. Isn't that common sense?
As a professor once said to me "common sense isn't so common".

Reaction Score
I agree about the players and coaches should always back them up, which is fine but Izzo is a crybaby.

Reaction Score
Maybe Tom should look in the mirror? As part of an athletic program that lied to the NCAA and federal investigators, protected athletes from sexual assault charges, whose football coach “retired” after the latest allegations from his own staff, .... I find it hard to take this guy seriously.

Reaction Score
A player doesn't have to be on Twitter and don't have to have a public profile if they are. And they definitely don't have to read their mentions. It's entirely"opt-in".

If you want to be famous and "build a brand" or connect with fans, then you have to take the good with the bad. If you reach out into the void, the masses will reach back.

Of course, people should be nicer. But signing up and interacting on Twitter is like leaving your door unlocked. Bad people don't care that it's immoral to come in and steal something or say mean things about you.

It's a numbers game. 550,000 alums. 22% of people have a Twitter account. 5% of them are bad people. 20% of those people got a little drunk or had an extra bad day. That's 1200 people who might message mean things on Twitter about MSU basketball. Out of 550,000, it's 0.20%. But it's 1000+ notifications.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Many of us here played amateur sports. After each game we would look for articles on the game and hopefully find positive news on our performance/contributions. If we didn't our parents, siblings or best friends certainly did, and would subsequently inform us, especially the raving reports.

All I'm saying is that these kids nowadays have more sources to obtain reviews, instantly and abundantly. The reviews drift from performance to personal, and to a young kid it can be devastating. In many cases its bullying personified.

I also think that our players peek at the Boneyard (the forbidden fruit), and read our personally destructive and hurtful words. We can all think the players are strong enough and wise enough to dismiss or discard our posts (and tweets) but that's naive. Sadly we all don't pause/re-think before hitting enter.

At the end of the day they are still 'non-professional' kids trying to play a sport and who are learning to become adults. They are not the best players in the world, but the best players we've got who were good enough to make the team. 'I' must try and remember they are nowhere near Curry, Lebron type level players when posting and evaluating. They are amateurs in school, including basketball who try and entertain us the best way they now how. I just hope they're having fun, making good memories/friendships and getting a degree. Oh and hopefully win a lot of games.

Just saying . . . . . .

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
He should condemn his players when they sexually assault people.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Many of us here played amateur sports. After each game we would look for articles on the game and hopefully find positive news on our performance/contributions. If we didn't our parents, siblings or best friends certainly did, and would subsequently inform us, especially the raving reports.

All I'm saying is that these kids nowadays have more sources to obtain reviews, instantly and abundantly. The reviews drift from performance to personal, and to a young kid it can be devastating. In many cases its bullying personified.

I also think that our players peek at the Boneyard (the forbidden fruit), and read our personally destructive and hurtful words. We can all think the players are strong enough and wise enough to dismiss or discard our posts (and tweets) but that's naive. Sadly we all don't pause/re-think before hitting enter.

At the end of the day they are still 'non-professional' kids trying to play a sport and who are learning to become adults. They are not the best players in the world, but the best players we've got who were good enough to make the team. 'I' must try and remember they are nowhere near Curry, Lebron type level players when posting and evaluating. They are amateurs in school, including basketball who try and entertain us the best way they now how. I just hope they're having fun, making good memories/friendships and getting a degree. Oh and hopefully win a lot of games.

Just saying . . . . . .
If you got your name in the Journal Inquirer for a little league game you had serious bragging rights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom