Michigan State Cleared (Surprise) in Sexual Assault Case | The Boneyard

Michigan State Cleared (Surprise) in Sexual Assault Case

Reaction Score
Ralph Russo (AP): Why some college sports scandals don't draw NCAA penalties

>>“It comes down to purpose and jurisdiction,” said Gabe Feldman, director of the sports law program at Tulane University. The NCAA’s primary purpose, Feldman says, is fair competition between the lines and regulating recruiting and amateurism rules. “It’s a governing body over sporting competitions,” he said.

Issues outside that — laws and university policies that touch students, employees and others at universities outside of sports — are mostly out of bounds to the NCAA. The 1,100 schools that come together under the NCAA to compete want areas already governed elsewhere to stay governed elsewhere.

Schools don’t want the NCAA to expand into investigating to matters such as sexual assault or petty crime. And the NCAA itself couldn’t take on more even if it wanted to, given its resources.<<

Reaction Score
Ralph Russo (AP): Why some college sports scandals don't draw NCAA penalties

>>“It comes down to purpose and jurisdiction,” said Gabe Feldman, director of the sports law program at Tulane University.

The NCAA’s primary purpose, Feldman says, is fair competition between the lines and regulating recruiting and amateurism rules. “It’s a governing body over sporting competitions,” he said.

Issues outside that — laws and university policies that touch students, employees and others at universities outside of sports — are mostly out of bounds to the NCAA. The 1,100 schools that come together under the NCAA to compete want areas already governed elsewhere to stay governed elsewhere.

Schools don’t want the NCAA to expand into investigating to matters such as sexual assault or petty crime. And the NCAA itself couldn’t take on more even if it wanted to, given its resources.<<
So fake classes to keep kids eligible has no effect on competition? Didn’t any of those NCAA geniuses ever take a logic class?

Reaction Score
I’d imagine systematic sexual abuse by the sports doctor at the university might have an effect on atheletes mic performance... just sayin. The NCAA is so corrupt and misguided, it needs to be cleaned out and reorganized.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm sure Chief's take will be within the bounds of normal human reaction.

Reaction Score
I’d imagine systematic sexual abuse by the sports doctor at the university might have an effect on atheletes mic performance... just sayin. The NCAA is so corrupt and misguided, it needs to be cleaned out and reorganized.

What do you want them to do? Serious question. I've gone back and forth on the Penn State scandal a number of times and would consider myself pretty squarely on the fence to this day.

I have a hard time with the idea of reviewing actual crimes to make sure NCAA violations weren't committed. Then again, one should not be able to shake free of an NCAA violation because they also committed a heinous crime. That would establish a dangerous precedent that can be used by the school's and the NCAA in a self-serving way moving forward.

In this case, I fail to grasp the competitive advantage that would have been gained from allowing a doctor to sexually abuse athletes. Do we have reason to believe that this was something other than a sick professional going rogue? Again, serious question as I am not overly familiar with this case.

The UNC debacle bothers me the most because their wrongdoings were clearly pertinent to developing a system that maintained the eligibility of their athletes. The fact that they seemed to regard AFAM with particular neglect, when all the usual dichotomies concerning basketball and football players at state Universities proved true, registers as especially damaging given their intersection with things amateurism and exploitation historically. The NCAA dismissed something as beyond their jurisdiction that was actually central to their monopoly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom