Who will win this game?

• Michigan St

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I would think MSU's bubble already burst, this is a game Purdue probably shouldn't lose if they want to stay on the right side of the bubble. But they just did. 65-63. A very rare road win for Sparty.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I would think MSU's bubble already burst, this is a game Purdue probably shouldn't lose if they want to stay on the right side of the bubble. But they just did. 65-63. A very rare road win for Sparty.
Purdue still has a little breathing room despite this loss.

Michigan State isn't dead yet. RPI is now at 77, and they have some quality wins. They probably need to beat Michigan in their next game, but that game is at home and then they finish against Illinois and Penn State.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Purdue still has a little breathing room despite this loss.

Michigan State isn't dead yet. RPI is now at 77, and they have some quality wins. They probably need to beat Michigan in their next game, but that game is at home and then they finish against Illinois and Penn State.
77 is in the extremely unlikely range. They need wins to pull that up. Playing Illinois and Penn State will not be a big help.

I mentioned in another thread that Beknighted of the Rutgers board posts some "stuff" around tournament time. He has records about RPI and seeding and missing the tournament. I'm not going to try to dig it up, but the chance of teams making the tourney at large with RPI's more than a certain number becomes microscopic. Over 70 fits the bill, I am certain.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
77 is in the extremely unlikely range. They need wins to pull that up. Playing Illinois and Penn State will not be a big help.

I mentioned in another thread that Beknighted of the Rutgers board posts some "stuff" around tournament time. He has records about RPI and seeding and missing the tournament. I'm not going to try to dig it up, but the chance of teams making the tourney at large with RPI's more than a certain number becomes microscopic. Over 70 fits the bill, I am certain.
Yes, this is correct. I did some research on this issue myself last year, and my recollection is that 70 is the lowest RPI that I was able to find among at-large teams. (Granted, my research only went back so many years. I recently tried to dig up my research and, much to my frustration, couldn't find it!)

However, any team that is in the 70s with 2-3 weeks left to play — especially in an opportunity-rich conference like the Big Ten — is still very much in the running if they check the other prerequisite boxes (winning record, quality wins). Michigan State would definitely not make it if Selection Day were today, but they have "time and space" to better their position (and their RPI) between now and March 16.

I'll be eager to see what Beknighted posts on this topic.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom