Michigan interviews Penn State's Coquese Washington for women's basketball job | The Boneyard

Michigan interviews Penn State's Coquese Washington for women's basketball job

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
on the WCBB side, i'm not sure if Michigan has ever had an elite team. at this point, it would be at the very best, a step sideways. perhaps they pay her more $$ but she was really building something good at PSU. that would be too bad for the Nittany Lions if she were to leave.

then again, i do get being a native of Michigan that she'd want to head back "home". seems like the perfect replacement for Muffett, but i think McGraw is fairly young...

Reaction Score
Read Hoopgurlz 2012. Five players in top 100 chose the Big Paterno 12 conference.Baskets in their conf nonexistent. Big Hat No Cattle Conference. Jim Delaney and his ilk.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't understand this move at all. PSU has more tradition in women's basketball then Michigan does. Also there appears to better Girls HS talent in Pennsylvania then Michigan. Unless there is unrest in the Athletic Department because of Sandusky that is spilling over to the Women's Basketball program, it appears she would have considerably more success at PSU then Michigan. Why start over, unless Michigan is offering her considerably more dollars which I think PSU would match.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Leverage move in negotiating with PSU?
I think that is certainly possible. As noted, though Michigan is a great institution, their women 's hoops is average and seemingly a step down from Penn State.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I was annoyed Texas didn't reach out. On top of being a good coach and a fascinating person, a Black woman head coach would be unique in the Big XII. Could be a boon in recruiting.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't like this! One of the things in WCBB is that players are really committing for 4 years so when you get coaches jumping frequently it really screws with them - at least in the men's game most of the good players are only committing for a year or two before they jump so when a coach jumps it isn't so traumatic.
I can understand a coach leaving for their alma mater or for the HC at a place they were an assistant and possibly a cross country move to return to a more comfortable culture - but central PA to MI - eh.
I hope the short stint culture doesn't become the norm in the women's game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hope its just a interview for leverage...... Penn State is the Big 10's best hope for a final 4 appearance ... at least in the near future.

Read Hoopgurlz 2012. Five players in top 100 chose the Big Paterno 12 conference.Baskets in their conf nonexistent. Big Hat No Cattle Conference. Jim Delaney and his ilk.

image-94CA_4F8641E9.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it is somewhat a return home and Flint if she goes for it. The emotional draw is there. I hope she stays because she has done an excellent job at PSU. I am not sure what impact the Sandusky situation has had on her recruiting but the best recruiting class ever at PSU blew up short on the heels of the initial announcement with one exiting to Cuse and another to Michigan. There has not been much news about recruits lately.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Looking at Football recruiting it appears to have been a one year hit - they lost about half their top recruits, but they seem to be doing pretty well this year. It can't have been fun for any of the athletic teams, but the community seems to have pulled together and the WCBB has really taken hold after years of being way down. It would certainly be a big blow if she leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom