OT: Michigan basketball coaching search is speeding up | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Michigan basketball coaching search is speeding up

Reaction Score
This hire sucks. Let me rephrase that. How the AD went about this hire sucks. Juwan Howard might turn out to be a great college basketball coach but this is another case of hiring the big name who everyone loves and has found memories of. Sure, he's been an assistant in the NBA but do a friggin' national search. Warde got a do-over and mailed it in again. Regardless of how this turns out, Warde sucks.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This is exactly what Clyde Drexler was doing... landing Gee Gervin, Moses Malone Jr, etc.

Drexler had recently retired from the NBA when he got the Houston job. He found out the hard way that being a CBB coach is a tough job. He wasn't prepared for the amount of time necessary. He also had no previous coaching experience, so Reid Gettys actually coached the team during games, drawing up all the X's and O's on the bench. Drexler was a glorified recruiting consultant. He's a great guy, but it only took him two years to decide the job was not for him.

Reaction Score
This hire sucks. Let me rephrase that. How the AD went about this hire sucks. Juwan Howard might turn out to be a great college basketball coach but this is another case of hiring the big name who everyone loves and has found memories of. Sure, he's been an assistant in the NBA but do a friggin' national search. Warde got a do-over and mailed it in again. Regardless of how this turns out, Warde sucks.
What do you mean? He’s a rock star!!! Rock head is more like it. Now do you believe he was hired at UConn because he won an APR award at Buffalo?

UConnNick

Reaction Score
What do you mean? He’s a rock star!!! Rock head is more like it. Now do you believe he was hired at UConn because he won an APR award at Buffalo?

He was hired at UCONN because Susan Herbst didn't have a clue about what she was doing. Much like coaches getting hired who had never coached before, she was a rookie university president at that time...no experience. We're still paying the price for her complete lack of judgment in hiring AD personnel.

Reaction Score
He was hired at UCONN because Susan Herbst didn't have a clue about what she was doing. Much like coaches getting hired who had never coached before, she was a rookie university president at that time...no experience. We're still paying the price for her complete lack of judgment in hiring AD personnel.

This is true but she did fire Hathaway, thank goodness.

Reaction Score
Take a second and think if LeBron an Ohio man who says he would have gone to OSU had he went to college, would sign off on his kid going to Michigan.

I don’t think he or anyone really cares about that rivalry outside of football

Reaction Score
Sorry but he was hired because he had just won an award from the NCAA for turning around UB’s APR. Susan and the BoT actually believed that the NCAA would reduce the APR ban because of the hire. And BTW there are very few college presidents who have presidential experience. Occasionally it happens but mostly they are administrators at other schools. One might argue that the best UConn president of the last few was Harry Hartley though. He knew his way around both Storrs and Hartford. Susan knew neither

UConnNick

Reaction Score
This is true but she did fire Hathaway, thank goodness.

Yes, but that was likely already in the works before Herbst took office. They knew Edsall quit because he hated Hathaway, and also that Calhoun and Hathaway hated each other. Firing Hathaway was a no brainer given those circumstances. They weren't about to fire Calhoun.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Sorry but he was hired because he had just won an award from the NCAA for turning around UB’s APR. Susan and the BoT actually believed that the NCAA would reduce the APR ban because of the hire. And BTW there are very few college presidents who have presidential experience. Occasionally it happens but mostly they are administrators at other schools. One might argue that the best UConn president of the last few was Harry Hartley though. He knew his way around both Storrs and Hartford. Susan knew neither

Turning around Buffalo's APR? That's my laugh for the day. That can be accomplished strictly on paper. You don't need an AD for that, just a room with a few accountants and a couple of computers. That's how it gets done.

If that level of naivete is why our administration hired Manuel, they should have all been fired, including the entire BOT if they had anything to do with that decision. Anybody at UCONN who thought that would happen with Mark Emmert in charge of the NCAA had to be delusional.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your intuition is correct

Warde Manuel is woefully inept at the concept,search & hiring of Program College coaches in major sports. We should be thrilled he’s at UM

I’m going to print this and hang it on Chief’s fridge.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Oh god I hate this hire. Michigan wasn’t really in a place where they needed to take a risk like this. Can’t help but wonder what happened with Beilein? Any theories out there?

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Your intuition is correct

Warde Manuel is woefully inept at the concept,search & hiring of Program College coaches in major sports. We should be thrilled he’s at UM

He's also inept at hiring Olympic sports level coaches. Within the past few months he hired a
"gymnastics consultant" at Michigan who had ties to the Larry Nassar scandal. There was such public outrage he was forced to fire the person about a week after the hire.

Reaction Score
Oh god I hate this hire. Michigan wasn’t really in a place where they needed to take a risk like this. Can’t help but wonder what happened with Beilein? Any theories out there?

>>Notre Dame basketball coach Mike Brey wasn’t all that surprised to see Michigan counterpart John Beilein leave the troubled college game for the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers.

The two coaching lifers ran into each other on the recruiting trail recently, and Brey could sense the frustration in the 66-year-old Beilein. “He’s a little tired of the scene,” Brey said. “He’s got a guy in the draft (sophomore guard Jordan Poole) and an agent grabbed him. The world we’re in now, managing our rosters, I think he was getting tired of it.”<<

Reaction Score
NBA job>NCAA Job

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So Michigan came down to either promoting an assistant (like Kevin Ollie) or hiring a former player with no head coaching experience (like Kevin Ollie). Rock and Roll, Warde!
JC and only JC hired KO and named him HC
Warde and Susan sat with their thumbs up where the sun don't shine

UConnNick

Reaction Score
JC and only JC hired KO and named him HC
Warde and Susan sat with their thumbs up where the sun don't shine

That's true, but they could have acted like adults and conducted a search. Calhoun orchestrated it knowing there was no time for that, so he painted them into a corner.

We got a national championship out of it, so it's hard to complain about anything Calhoun, Manuel or Herbst did or didn't do at the time. It's actually terrifying now in retrospect to think about who Warde and Suzy might have hired given the opportunity, judging by Manuel's abysmal hiring track record since (i.e. Bobby Fiasco as Exhibit "A"). Suffice it to say I seriously doubt we'd be sitting here today with a fourth national title. How was Calhoun supposed to know at that time that Ollie would turn into cream pie just because of a divorce? He would have needed a crystal ball to predict Ollie would go on a complete mental tailspin.

Reaction Score

He realized college basketball is broken...

Reaction Score
He realized college basketball is broken...
Badly broken. It needs pretty radical surgery not the minimal fixes they are talking about. My top 5 are:
1. End 1-done. Once a guy signs his scholarship is considered taken until his class graduates
2. Make transferring more difficult not less. No waivers ever. You can transfer anywhere any time. You sit for a year. No it’s ands or buts.
3. End grad transfers. You graduated from college. You have no debt. You are better off than 90% of your peers. Now get a job and move on with your life.
4. End the shoe deals. If you played for a shoe company funded aau team you sit for 6 months. No practice, no sitting on the bench, you go to the games you sit in the student section if you can get a ticket.
5. End the endless NCAA appeal process. You don’t get a trial. You don’t get an investigation. You don’t get a team of lawyers. They call the AD and say you violated rule 10 so you lose a scholarship next year. And you lose a scholarship next year. If you refuse to speak to the NCAA you get suspended and it is presumed you are guilty. If you lie you get suspended for the season. This ain’t the federal court system. You are not entitled to due process. It is a wholly voluntary association of academic institutions.

I said it needs radical change. Those would be a start.

Reaction Score
Badly broken. It needs pretty radical surgery not the minimal fixes they are talking about. My top 5 are:
1. End 1-done. Once a guy signs his scholarship is considered taken until his class graduates
2. Make transferring more difficult not less. No waivers ever. You can transfer anywhere any time. You sit for a year. No it’s ands or buts.
3. End grad transfers. You graduated from college. You have no debt. You are better off than 90% of your peers. Now get a job and move on with your life.
4. End the shoe deals. If you played for a shoe company funded aau team you sit for 6 months. No practice, no sitting on the bench, you go to the games you sit in the student section if you can get a ticket.
5. End the endless NCAA appeal process. You don’t get a trial. You don’t get an investigation. You don’t get a team of lawyers. They call the AD and say you violated rule 10 so you lose a scholarship next year. And you lose a scholarship next year. If you refuse to speak to the NCAA you get suspended and it is presumed you are guilty. If you lie you get suspended for the season. This ain’t the federal court system. You are not entitled to due process. It is a wholly voluntary association of academic institutions.

I said it needs radical change. Those would be a start.

I agree with #2, #3, and #5.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Howard will do just fine once Michigan starts filling his palms with sacks of cash to recruit. Just like Penny, this hire smells like a school wanting a "NBA face" to be able to convince recruits to take their money. And nobody has more money than Michigan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom