OT: Michigan basketball coaching search is speeding up | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Michigan basketball coaching search is speeding up

pj

Reaction Score
Badly broken. It needs pretty radical surgery not the minimal fixes they are talking about. My top 5 are:
1. End 1-done. Once a guy signs his scholarship is considered taken until his class graduates
2. Make transferring more difficult not less. No waivers ever. You can transfer anywhere any time. You sit for a year. No it’s ands or buts.
3. End grad transfers. You graduated from college. You have no debt. You are better off than 90% of your peers. Now get a job and move on with your life.
4. End the shoe deals. If you played for a shoe company funded aau team you sit for 6 months. No practice, no sitting on the bench, you go to the games you sit in the student section if you can get a ticket.
5. End the endless NCAA appeal process. You don’t get a trial. You don’t get an investigation. You don’t get a team of lawyers. They call the AD and say you violated rule 10 so you lose a scholarship next year. And you lose a scholarship next year. If you refuse to speak to the NCAA you get suspended and it is presumed you are guilty. If you lie you get suspended for the season. This ain’t the federal court system. You are not entitled to due process. It is a wholly voluntary association of academic institutions.

I said it needs radical change. Those would be a start.

#1 I like this if you increase the number of scholarships to 15-16.
#2 Consistency is better than arbitrariness. Not sure there's a major problem here however.
#3 amounts to saying grad students can't play college sports. That seems unnecessarily tough.
#4 -- why? The AAU system gives guys a lot of playing experience and exposure.
#5 -- I don't understand why appeals are wrong. The bigger problem is that the NCAA is corrupt and ignores bad behavior at powerful schools while indulging in petty vindictiveness against the weak and powerless.

Reaction Score
1. That doesn’t fix the problem. The idea is to force coaches to decide if a guy is good enough to waste a 4 year scholarship for only a year of play. Imagine if Duke had to go into the next 3 years with only 10 scholarship players.
2. It is turning into free agency out there. This would stop it
3 so what. And not true. They can still play at their original school if the school wants them to. And by the time you are a grad student if you aren’t good enough to go pro it’s time to get on with life.
4. The AAU system is a major source of corruption. The NCAA is trying to get these work arounds but the real answer is to make that system less valuable
5. We need bright lines and Swift sure penalties for violation. No law firms specializing in the NCAA rule book. No nonsense like UNC got away with.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
How are determining if there’s a violation if there’s no investigation?

That’s a terrible idea for any type of accusation.

Reaction Score
Q
As l said in my first post. This isn’t federal court. Nobody is going to jail and membership is totally and completely voluntary. If UNC doesn’t want to comply with the rules on student athletes nobody is forcing it too. Just leave the NCAA and play a bunch of semi-pro teams or join the NAIA or drop sports altogether. There is also no requirement that a college sponsor athletic programs, maybe a bunch of schools want there own rules and to play judge Judy every time there is a violation.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Q
As l said in my first post. This isn’t federal court. Nobody is going to jail and membership is totally and completely voluntary. If UNC doesn’t want to comply with the rules on student athletes nobody is forcing it too. Just leave the NCAA and play a bunch of semi-pro teams or join the NAIA or drop sports altogether. There is also no requirement that a college sponsor athletic programs, maybe a bunch of schools want there own rules and to play judge Judy every time there is a violation.

Yeah but how are you verifying the veracity of any potential violations if you aren’t investigating it?

I agree the clown car investigations by say, the nfl and mlb, are not good. But you can’t just take every story at face value.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom