Michigan athletic department $240M in debt | The Boneyard

Michigan athletic department $240M in debt

pj

Reaction Score
If the debt service is 5% per year, that's $12 mn per year -- very affordable given their $40 mn plus media revenue, not to mention ticket sales.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The grass isn't so green?

Their grass is a shade of green that doesn't exist in our world. They can't even describe their green in terms that we would understand. It's like the color of God's lawn.

Reaction Score
If the debt service is 5% per year, that's $12 mn per year -- very affordable given their $40 mn plus media revenue, not to mention ticket sales.

I looked into this a while back. Their debt service is $17m a year, but the academic side pays most of it. They used to pay a lot more.

And by the way, this debt is owned by the academic side, not the athletic side.

Reaction Score
I looked into this a while back. Their debt service is $17m a year, but the academic side pays most of it. They used to pay a lot more.

And by the way, this debt is owned by the academic side, not the athletic side.

Michigan's current budgeted debt service is $6,480,000. Although I tend to believe that accounting in the form of public reporting is often done in a way to place the best food forward, I'm not sure "to what end" in this case. The Regents that voted on the matter are surely smart enough to understand the concept of liabilities, and I'm sure there are standards in the way that these figures are expected to be presented. I find it hard to believe that Michigan is understating it's debt servicing by 50% without further details (or speculation for that matter).

And while the academic side may be writing the checks, the financing used to build the luxury boxes his generating quite a bit of revenue (they sold out the first year). So there is a nice new revenue stream there to help pay down the debt.

Reaction Score
Michigan's current budgeted debt service is $6,480,000. Although I tend to believe that accounting in the form of public reporting is often done in a way to place the best food forward, I'm not sure "to what end" in this case. The Regents that voted on the matter are surely smart enough to understand the concept of liabilities, and I'm sure there are standards in the way that these figures are expected to be presented. I find it hard to believe that Michigan is understating it's debt servicing by 50% without further details (or speculation for that matter).

And while the academic side may be writing the checks, the financing used to build the luxury boxes his generating quite a bit of revenue (they sold out the first year). So there is a nice new revenue stream there to help pay down the debt.

You're looking at the athletic budget and how much the athletic side is forwarding to the academic side for the debt on facilities. The actual debt service number is in the school's budget for these facilities, and it is $17m.

You can't service that much debt with $6.8m a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom