Michaela Onyenwere - UCLA | The Boneyard

Michaela Onyenwere - UCLA

Reaction Score
I don’t get out much, but when did Michaela OnyenWARE become OnyenWAY-DAY. Whatever you call her she can play for me !

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Everybody pronounced it WARE her Fr. year, then added the E sound at the end the next year. I have no idea what the announcer is doing today. Sometimes they make the first half sound like onion. She's only been there for 4 years, it takes a while to figure out how to pronounce a name you know. :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Everybody pronounced it WARE her Fr. year, then added the E sound at the end the next year. I have no idea what the announcer is doing today. Sometimes they make the first half sound like onion. She's only been there for 4 years, it takes a while to figure out how to pronounce a name you know. :rolleyes:
Oh, so what you are saying is maybe next year, Andy "1950's oil slick in the hair" Landers will be able to pronounce Oliva Nelson-Ododa pronounce Oh-doh-duh....? ;)

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You can hear Michaela pronounce her name on UCLA's roster page. So, it was probably just a lack of knowledge by the announcers part, not a change in pronunciation.

The name is supposed to be pronounced Own-yen-wed-ay, according to an LATimes article featuring Michaela and her father, Peter, who competed at the Olympics for Nigeria.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The name is supposed to be pronounced Own-yen-wed-ay
That's really not what it sounds like she's saying in that link w/ the pronunciation guide though.

Nobody is saying Chantel Horvat's name correctly...because they aren't using an Australian accent. :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There was a guy recently (on a halftime show, I think) who pronounced it own-ya-wend-ay. The r sound is presumably like it is in Japanese -- not exactly rolled, not exactly pronounced like a d, but stopped.

For those of you who follow the W, Astou Ndour's surname pronunciation has changed at least twice, possibly three times over the last few years, and a couple of them have me shaking my head. Her rookie year, the announcers were pronouncing it like Endor. EN-door. The next year it was do. I think they've been getting closer more recently with something more like (n)doo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom