Michael Tarbutt - He's no slacker. | The Boneyard

Michael Tarbutt - He's no slacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Went back and found this article, remembering hearing about Tarbutt coming as such a highly-touted prospect.

2nd team USA TODAY All-American, 1st team All-New York. His team went 12-0 his senior season, capturing a state championship. Tarbutt actually earned offensive MVP honors in the game.

He hit a 60-yard field goal in the New York state championship game, breaking the school record which he previously held of 52 yards. It was the second longest field goal in New York state history.

Read the article: http://www.theuconnblog.com/2015/2/...uiting-kicker-michael-tarbutt-canisus-buffalo

I say let him go...pressure can be a good thing. Might as well let him feel it now as this team works to become contenders for bigger things.

Reaction Score
He missed one in the game and no one on this board or in the coaching staff had any confidence he would have made that one. Maybe he'll develop, but the fake, as little chance as that had, had more chance of success than him making that FG.

But somehow Wake makes a 47 yarder to beat Army.

HuskiesFan1014

Reaction Score
He missed one in the game and no one on this board or in the coaching staff had any confidence he would have made that one. Maybe he'll develop, but the fake, as little chance as that had, had more chance of success than him making that FG.

But somehow Wake makes a 47 yarder to beat Army.
You speak for everybody on this board? Really? He's a kicker. Kickers miss...but if you can't give either of your kickers the job and let them win or lose they will never have the chance to kick through the pressure.

And that fake had zero chance. Zero point Zero.

Reaction Score
You think he would have made that in that spot? I also sell bridges if you're interested. Obviously the coaches, who know more than any of us, thought that fake that had 0% chance had a higher probability than making the FG.

You speak for everybody on this board? Really? He's a kicker. Kickers miss...but if you can't give either of your kickers the job and let them win or lose they will never have the chance to kick through the pressure.

And that fake had zero chance. Zero point Zero.

HuskiesFan1014

Reaction Score
It's a 42 yard field goal.
Did I mention a 42 yard field goal? I would bet we might need to kick a field goal to stay in a game at some point down the road.

Stick to selling bridges.

Reaction Score
You think he would have made that in that spot? I also sell bridges if you're interested. Obviously the coaches, who know more than any of us, thought that fake that had 0% chance had a higher probability than making the FG.
This idea that a second fake FG had a better chance of success than the 42yd FG or a 1st down is a lie from the pit of Rutgers. I really hope you are joking.

Reaction Score
Then why run that play? The safest play is kick the FG and take your chances in OT. Or line up and run a play. The fact they didn't kick it tells me that had 0% confidence it would be made by either kicker.

A 42yarder should be a reasonably high % kick.

This idea that a second fake FG had a better chance of success than the 42yd FG or a 1st down is a lie from the pit of Rutgers. I really hope you are joking.

Reaction Score

I don't know, I think they were equally unlikely to succeed. A 42-yard field goal from a team that can't kick an extra point?! Probably a damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation.

Reaction Score
Diaco stated that he didn't want to put the freshmen in the that position (if he didn't make it). I think Tarbut would have relished the opportunity and most fans wouldn't have put it all on him if he missed. Additionally, the wind was at his back and at 42 yards he wouldn't have to put his leg in it. He also got a "warm-up" with the 49 yarder that he go off fairly quickly. I think Tarbut had a legitimate shot to make it. Puyol kicks a little low and a little slow for the current state of our front line. I think he would have been bigger risk than Tarbut.

Diaco went with the fake because converting a first down or even kicking a field goal was no guarantee for victory, especially on the road. The problem is Missouri was expecting it, especially with Puyol coming out and the break in play gave Missouri time to reset. If UConn could have gone straight away with Tarbut on the field they might have gotten away with it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So, some of you want a true freshman's second ever college attempt to be one to tie the game on the road against the defending SEC East champions when he badly missed his first ever college attempt and the protection already had both an extra point and a punt blocked. As penance you all should research the last time a team had missed a FG, had a PAT blocked and a punt blocked in the same game. Having Tarbutt kick was the fourth option behind the fake. The fifth option would have been to kneel on the ball and claim you forgot it was 4th down.

Bob was well within his right to be afraid of kicking there. Someone needed to to talk him into letting Shirreffs take the ball or hit Noel on a quick pass. The tight ends had too many drops yesterday. They are home run threats, the WR are the possession targets. We are not so talented that we can ask guys to stray too far from the one or two things they do well.

We should be favored in 4 more games if we keep improving. UCF, USF, Tulane, and either ECU/NAVY look a lot more winnable than they did three weeks ago. Even Temple struggled with UMass. I wouldn't be afraid on any remaining team on the schedule. If there is anything to take from Missou, it's that if we execute and correct a very fixable ST problem, then we can win any of these games.

Reaction Score
Then why run that play? The safest play is kick the FG and take your chances in OT. Or line up and run a play. The fact they didn't kick it tells me that had 0% confidence it would be made by either kicker.

A 42yarder should be a reasonably high % kick.

Wait? So you concluded that the call the staff made was what they thought in the moment gave us the best chance of winning?

Griffin genious. Why didn't the rest of us think of that?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This guy's a troll who usually takes verbal dumps on the basketball board. I'm sorry he had to migrate over here.

HuskiesFan1014

Reaction Score
This guy's a troll who usually takes verbal dumps on the basketball board. I'm sorry he had to migrate over here.
His "logic" was thoroughly circular. He takes a post about a kicker who has every possibility of being great and states that there was a less than zero chance of a make. His last statement is that the safest play is a field goal. Hmmm.

Whatever. On to Navy!

Reaction Score
Sure buddy. Ur posts are such garbage. Ur the biggest on the site.

Reaction Score
Yes, with the way the defense was playing if you have a kicker you have confidence in you go kick the FG and take your chances in OT. 42 yards should be a reasonably high % kick.

Why didn't they kick it then? That's rhetorical.

I hated the call, I wanted them to line up and try and get the 1st and go for legit win, not a gimmick, or a failed FG attempt. Face it, non-P5 STs suk in general. It falls off a cliff in a sense. I could care less some kid maybe made a 60yard FG at some point. Don't you think if he was some special elite player he would have gone to somewhere other than UConn? I mean, did he choose UConn over Bama, OSU, UT, ND or Penn St? My point is I hope he develops over time from being a true frosh.

His "logic" was thoroughly circular. He takes a post about a kicker who has every possibility of being great and states that there was a less than zero chance of a make. His last statement is that the safest play is a field goal. Hmmm.

Whatever. On to Navy!

Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:
So, some of you want a true freshman's second ever college attempt to be one to tie the game on the road against the defending SEC East champions when he badly missed his first ever college attempt and the protection already had both an extra point and a punt blocked. As penance you all should research the last time a team had missed a FG, had a PAT blocked and a punt blocked in the same game. Having Tarbutt kick was the fourth option behind the fake. The fifth option would have been to kneel on the ball and claim you forgot it was 4th down. Bob was well within his right to be afraid of kicking there. Someone needed to to talk him into letting Shirreffs take the ball or hit Noel on a quick pass. The tight ends had too many drops yesterday. They are home run threats, the WR are the possession targets. We are not so talented that we can ask guys to stray too far from the one or two things they do well. We should be favored in 4 more games if we keep improving. UCF, USF, Tulane, and either ECU/NAVY look a lot more winnable than they did three weeks ago. Even Temple struggled with UMass. I wouldn't be afraid on any remaining team on the schedule. If there is anything to take from Missou, it's that if we execute and correct a very fixable ST problem, then we can win any of these games.

Yes.

HuskiesFan1014

Reaction Score
Face it, non-P5 STs suk in general. It falls off a cliff in a sense. I could care less some kid maybe made a 60yard FG at some point.
mr-t.jpg

...and it's "couldn't care less," not "could care less." Unless it's more circular logic and you really do care.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
So I woke up this morning, headed into the kitchen to pour my cup of coffee, stood at the counter and was still mumbling about the loss. My wife....ohhh ever soooo attentive......caught me and actually yelled at me to get over it.

Guess I will take her advice and move on.........to ...sinking Navy.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You now.. in a weird way, it's probably a good thing that these 'just fell off a turnip truck' UConn fans are migrating over here from the hoops board. Just the price to pay for building buzz. We've had the luxury of being die-hards only for the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom