MHver3 (fwiw) ESPN warns ACC..MWC Lurking? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MHver3 (fwiw) ESPN warns ACC..MWC Lurking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
To repeat for newbies, MHver is a consolidation of all messageboard rumors or suggestions. Whenever he passes something as fact or inside information, just put the preceding sentence in front of it:

Someone somewhere in the country has written a hypothetical situation regarding: (The Tweet).

This is how posts on the boneyard regarding Malloy and ESPN turn into statements of fact that the state of connecticut has played a leverage card on Bristol and now they are advocating us to every major conference.

If conference realignment on the internet was the movie outbreak, MHVer would be the guy who gets on the plane with the smuggled monkey.

Reaction Score
Doing ANYTHING with the existing MWC is insanely stupid unless they solve their TV contract. The only reason I can see the MWC holding on to any members is giving them a Boise deal (which they apparently will be giving to BYU too), or getting a major restructuring of their TV deal with at least an additional $30MM per year for the conference. It's possible, but that is what it will take. The current TV deal runs for 4 more years, and CBS already refused to restructure it to keep BYU, Utah and TCU.

Let's run some quick math. The MWC will play 40 games next year without Boise, 44 with Boise. Those extra 4 games are Boise home games, which Boise gets virtually all the economics to based on early reports. In other words, the MWC just let Boise go independent but guaranteed Boise 4 home games for free. The value to the MWC economics don't budge more than whatever piece of the Boise deal that Boise is letting the MWC keep. In addition, Boise gets to keep half the economics from making the BCS game, but by being in the league, they make it more difficult for anyone else to get there. I can see a lot of MWC schools not being that happy about this deal, but without a BCS bid, the Big East can not demand that the MWC schools join for football only. It has to be all sports or nothing.

The Big East should become the best of the rest, all sports, cross country. If Boise and BYU want their sideshow deal, let them play Wyoming, Idaho and New Mexico State. Not having a TV deal is an advantage right now, if the league can just agree on what it wants to be. Digging in at 10 schools, all sports, and cutting off the west, is stupid, but if the league uses its head, it has a chance to survive.
absolutely agree on this...
there is a very viable and formidable conference that could be created with th 16 best programs not currently in a power 5 conference. one that I assume could be better than the ACC on the field.

Reaction Score
The ACC does have a better bowl record this year and historically than the B1G. It's as if the only school in the B1G that can win BCS bowls is Ohio State.
I liked the ACC advertisement last night during the FSU game of how many teams they've sent to bowls recently. Of course, they conveniently forgot to reference what their record in those games were. :)

Reaction Score
if at this point we take a acc invite, i'll hang up my uconn hoodie. were in this for the haul for that b10 invite not the ****ing acc. until the b10 reaches its goal, we are a lot easier to add for the b10 than any acc team logistics wise and i want it that way. next year the big east still has bball schools and we can have enough fball still to be ok. going to the acc right now would be the cuse and pitt move of giving up. you guys on here are . are we in a bad spot? **** yea we are, but we still have time and it would be wasted if we just packed acc bags and threw our hands up right now. we can go to the acc later. the b10 and sec have to act. either both of those schools pick apart the acc or the b12 or they add a uconn and some others. no matter how the **** they fill slots, others open and we are in for those new slots. so pull up your dam skits and man the **** up for at most another 11 months of this and at least another 15 days. the b10 is our dream, nto the ****ing acc. until the b10 says no to us in is plan, **** the acc. no guts no glory

you're nuts!!!!
in no way do I think the ACC is better long term than the big10... BUT,
if the right hand is holding an ACC invite while the left is empty, only a fool would throw away the ACC invite.
If hebst actually did that, without any commitment from the Big10, she'd be fired instantly (as she should).

Getting into the ACC gets Uconn into the big boy club. sure, after everything they've put Uconn through it would be great to give them the finger as we pass them on the big10 bus, but that isn't happening yet.
you take the invite, live to fight another day, and then see what happens from there. Regardless , the view from there will be a whole lot better.

if the uss connecticut needs to complete a tour in the ACC before shipping out to the Big10, fine by me.
I hope we don't have a mutiny brewing aboard this ship.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
acc wants to do a gor guys, any new school they have added are already under agreement that when the gor come to the table they sign. its the old schools that are holding it up as they are fishing for better lifes...do u want uconn in the acc to sign a gor while the b10 still has slots open?
Yes. Either it's scenario A) "ZOMG YOU GUISE THE ACC IS BLOWING UP!!!" in which case UConn has a better shot at being landing in a Big 4 conference being and ACC school than a CUSA school (remember, we'll have more $$$ to to improve our FB coaching / program). Or it's scenario B) "TEH ACC IS LOCKING EVERYBODY UP IN A GOR!" in which case UConn will be landing in a stable conference that includes all our OBE opponents, minus Rutgers and Temple. Win-win.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
you're nuts!!!!
if the right hand is holding an ACC invite while the left is empty, only a fool would throw away the ACC invite.
If hebst actually did that, without any commitment from the Big10, she'd be fired instantly (as she should).

Getting into the ACC gets Uconn into the big boy club. sure, after everything they've put Uconn through it would be great to give them the finger as we pass them on the big10 bus, but that isn't happening yet.
you take the invite, live to fight another day, and then see what happens from there. Regardless , the view from there will be a whole lot better.

if the uss connecticut needs to complete a tour in the ACC before shipping out to the Big10, fine by me.

Didn't you hear UConn already turned down the ACC twice.

Reaction Score
you're nuts!!!!

THIS

You take the invite and live to fight another day

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
So allegedly Boise State is going to get ~$10M form their deal total. If UConn can get $15 with all of our programs I would even take MWC at this point. Just go somewhere, make a few bucks, fire our coach at the end of next year and use Big East exit penalties to make a big splash.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If UConn gets an ACC invite and any UConn fan doesn't dance a jig or jump for joy and thank whatever deity they choose, that person is an idiot. The ACC is not nearly as unstable as is suggested, nor is the football nearly as bad (FSU, Clemson won bowls, but so did GT over USC). The basketball and baseball would be fantastic. The B1G would be great too, no question. The ACC has all the schools in the league we originally joined, minus WVU and Rutgers, plus several others. That is nothing to complain about, especially for a program sliding into the gaping maw of hell.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
So allegedly Boise State is going to get ~$10M form their deal total. If UConn can get $15 with all of our programs I would even take MWC at this point. Just ****ing go somewhere, make a few bucks, fire our coach at the end of next year and use Big East exit penalties to make a big splash.

Boise will see about $6 mil in years they make a lesser bowl. $2.5 mil base, $1.6 mil for national appearances, $0.5 mil for the MTN Conference game (after expenses), and 50% of the bowl after expenses ($1.5 at best in an average year when they aren't the "Best of the Rest" and nabbing $10 - $15 mil ). Call it $6.1 mil plus a better percentage of their NCAA Conference distros, Tier III, etc.

The big payday is the basis of the deal--the year they are the "Best of the Rest"

BTW UConn is screwed without playing detestable incentive-laden politics in the BE whereby all conference revenues are split 50% to the team that earned the money, the women are excluded, and UConn can run its own State Network with all sorts of incentives for building it out and buildng the brand and selling primo advertising.

Reaction Score
If UConn gets an ACC invite and any UConn fan doesn't dance a jig or jump for joy and thank whatever deity they choose, that person is an idiot. The ACC is not nearly as unstable as is suggested, nor is the football nearly as bad (FSU, Clemson won bowls, but so did GT over USC). The basketball and baseball would be fantastic. The B1G would be great too, no question. The ACC has all the schools in the league we originally joined, minus WVU and Rutgers, plus several others. That is nothing to complain about, especially for a program sliding into the gaping maw of hell.

My guess is that there will be an overiding theme of negativity... it's the BY DNA.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Thank god none of u are susan herbest.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Thank god none of u are susan herbest.

Dan, I appreciate your optimism re: the B1G and I am on-board the USS CT. But, are you willing to go on record as saying that you would turn down an ACC invite in our current position and hope that the B1G invites us? And if so can you please explain how sitting on the sidelines would help us in any of the following areas: finances, perception, attendance, recruiting, infrastructure, coaching?

I understand the concern if there is a GOR, but honestly if we sign up with UNC, VT, FSU, CU, et al there is no way we would need to be the first to 'test' it. And if you think the B1G cares that we are 'easier' to get because we aren't in a conference, we have been easy to get for about 3 years now and it hasn't helped one bit.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan, I appreciate your optimism re: the B1G and I am on-board the USS CT. But, are you willing to go on record as saying that you would turn down an ACC invite in our current position and hope that the B1G invites us? And if so can you please explain how sitting on the sidelines would help us in any of the following areas: finances, perception, attendance, recruiting, infrastructure, coaching?

I understand the concern if there is a GOR, but honestly if we sign up with UNC, VT, FSU, CU, et al there is no way we would need to be the first to 'test' it. And if you think the B1G cares that we are 'easier' to get because we aren't in a conference, we have been easy to get for about 3 years now and it hasn't helped one bit.

YES and we did this twice already. i would be willing to write this up. i will answer it later on 2night in detail.

caw

Reaction Score
It's really an interesting situation right now.

B10 has three huge advantages over the ACC. They have security (GOR), fanbase (huge state schools) and tier 3 rights. Obviously, if you had an invite from both (or thought you could get one from both) you take the B10.

There are two things keeping other ACC teams from jumping at the first offer from the B10: sense of loyalty/power in the ACC and $50 Million dollars.

I honestly think UConn has a better shot at joining the B10 than the ACC. Why? Simple, there are multiple teams in the ACC that would literally kill themselves before letting UConn from join, these schools are unmovable. If Pitt didn't prove it, then UL did (and Cincy before UConn would just nail it further in).

I don't think the B10 has the same problem. I do think the B10 has a significant hurdle to cross but not an impossible one.

I don't believe either is offering any time soon though, so UConn might as well try and build up the school so it fits the B10 profile.

Reaction Score
YES and we did this twice already. i would be willing to write this up. i will answer it later on 2night in detail.

Dan, would you take a big 12 invite now if you were uconn?

Reaction Score
It's really an interesting situation right now.

B10 has three huge advantages over the ACC. They have security (GOR), fanbase (huge state schools) and tier 3 rights. Obviously, if you had an invite from both (or thought you could get one from both) you take the B10.

There are two things keeping other ACC teams from jumping at the first offer from the B10: sense of loyalty/power in the ACC and $50 Million dollars.

I honestly think UConn has a better shot at joining the B10 than the ACC. Why? Simple, there are multiple teams in the ACC that would literally kill themselves before letting UConn from join, these schools are unmovable. If Pitt didn't prove it, then UL did (and Cincy before UConn would just nail it further in).

I don't think the B10 has the same problem. I do think the B10 has a significant hurdle to cross but not an impossible one.

I don't believe either is offering any time soon though, so UConn might as well try and build up the school so it fits the B10 profile.

What are these Tier 3 rights you think the Big 10 has? They've been given to the Big 10 Network. It's really no different than the ACC. They just gave their rights to ESPN instead of their own network. In either scenario, the schools don't keep them.

caw

Reaction Score
What are these Tier 3 rights you think the Big 10 has? They've been given to the Big 10 Network. It's really no different than the ACC. They just gave their rights to ESPN instead of their own network. In either scenario, the schools don't keep them.

I meant income.

Reaction Score
I meant income.

All the conferences make income off their Tier 3 rights (except the Big 12 who lets the individual schools make the decisions). It is just the manner and amount of income (which is hard to distinguish with both the ACC and the Big 10 since both bundle their Tier 3 rights with other rights) which differs

caw

Reaction Score
All the conferences make income off their Tier 3 rights (except the Big 12 who lets the individual schools make the decisions). It is just the manner and amount of income (which is hard to distinguish with both the ACC and the Big 10 since both bundle their Tier 3 rights with other rights) which differs

Right and the Big Ten has a huge advantage in the amount. I'm aware both conferences receive income for the Tier three rights. I don't have time to look it up for you this weekend, maybe if you don't find it I can next week if I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom