MHver3 (fwiw) ESPN warns ACC..MWC Lurking? | The Boneyard

MHver3 (fwiw) ESPN warns ACC..MWC Lurking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ACC was warned by espn that MWC was going to double down on both those schools UConn & Cincy in an effort to get some eastern penetration. -- MHver3 (@MHver3)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
MBB only fans would hate this, but is likely the best move for FB. There will be one Group of 5 conference that stands above the others.

Unless UConn's strategy is to play 4 BCS OOC games every year then run through a weak conference and hope 11-1 gets you the contract bowl slot, joining the best of the 5, is the way to go.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Doing ANYTHING with the existing MWC is insanely stupid unless they solve their TV contract. The only reason I can see the MWC holding on to any members is giving them a Boise deal (which they apparently will be giving to BYU too), or getting a major restructuring of their TV deal with at least an additional $30MM per year for the conference. It's possible, but that is what it will take. The current TV deal runs for 4 more years, and CBS already refused to restructure it to keep BYU, Utah and TCU.

Let's run some quick math. The MWC will play 40 games next year without Boise, 44 with Boise. Those extra 4 games are Boise home games, which Boise gets virtually all the economics to based on early reports. In other words, the MWC just let Boise go independent but guaranteed Boise 4 home games for free. The value to the MWC economics don't budge more than whatever piece of the Boise deal that Boise is letting the MWC keep. In addition, Boise gets to keep half the economics from making the BCS game, but by being in the league, they make it more difficult for anyone else to get there. I can see a lot of MWC schools not being that happy about this deal, but without a BCS bid, the Big East can not demand that the MWC schools join for football only. It has to be all sports or nothing.

The Big East should become the best of the rest, all sports, cross country. If Boise and BYU want their sideshow deal, let them play Wyoming, Idaho and New Mexico State. Not having a TV deal is an advantage right now, if the league can just agree on what it wants to be. Digging in at 10 schools, all sports, and cutting off the west, is stupid, but if the league uses its head, it has a chance to survive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The MWC isn't going after UConn or Cincy, or the FL schools, nor would they join it. It doesn't make sense either way, nor does Nelson's coast-to-coast league. Unless you want a ton of basketball games to go unwatched because they start at either 10:00 eastern or 3:00 pacific. Football is one thing, but you cannot run an all sport conference across more than two timezones without killing the ratings of your product.

If subject of the tweet has any basis, it's to entice the ACC to take UCon and Cinci. To provide the sense of urgency that existed with UL because of the Big 12. Failing that, the ten or 12 team all sports league with SMU at the western edge is the only path that makes sense.

Reaction Score
ACC was warned by espn that MWC was going to double down on both those schools UConn & Cincy in an effort to get some eastern penetration. -- MHver3 (@MHver3)
He also said Cincinnati in football only. Why wouldn't the acc want their basketball. Makes no sense. I enjoy the mhver3 teeets as much as I enjoy star magazine in the checkout line as long a u understand the sources are the same.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He also said Cincinnati in football only. Why wouldn't the acc want their basketball. Makes no sense. I enjoy the mhver3 teeets as much as I enjoy star magazine in the checkout line as long a u understand the sources are the same.

Cincy for FB only was the ACC, not MWC. Makes sense to balance schedules with Notre Dame. Two football gives them 16 in FB and if Cinci is FB only, 16 in FB as well.

MHver3@MHver3
ACC is close to offering Uconn full membership and Cincy in FB only with provisions to join in all sports in the future.

Reaction Score

So true. It's Mhver3, so you always have to consider the source. Also, not sure why the ACC would care about the Mountain West. Even on the chance this happens (and I would think it would be difficult for Connecticut to be a member of a conference with so many Western teams), what's to really stop the ACC from inviting either down the line? How is being in the Mountain West different from being in the Big East?

Reaction Score
Unless the point is that ESPN is forcing conferences to expand sooner - hey guys, do you want UConn and/or Cincy, because if not we may end up talking to the MWC about their merged conference. ESPN wants nothing of the BE, MWC and/or CUSA, so they may be simply signaling to conferences that they need to come to closure sooner on what the "power" conferences look like and when - ESPN does not want a 6th conference to deal with, other than on an ad-hoc basis or for Wed night programming.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So true. It's Mhver3, so you always have to consider the source. Also, not sure why the ACC would care about the Mountain West. Even on the chance this happens (and I would think it would be difficult for Connecticut to be a member of a conference with so many Western teams), what's to really stop the ACC from inviting either down the line? How is being in the Mountain West different from being in the Big East?

I think the MWC angle is total BS. If the tweet about UConn to the ACC all sports and Cinci for FB is true (we hope) then it most likely stems from what's being discussed on the other thread, the possibility that the Big 12 will come for those schools. They ACC would then be stuck with USF or UCF.

Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3
ACC is close to offering Uconn full membership and Cincy in FB only with provisions to join in all sports in the future.[/quote]

I totally choose to believe this. I assume it will happen today?

Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3
ACC is close to offering Uconn full membership and Cincy in FB only with provisions to join in all sports in the future.

I totally choose to believe this. I assume it will happen today?[/quote]

Any second now I'm sure.

Reaction Score
And yesterday he had ESPN pressuring the BIG12 so which is it?

Reaction Score
Well the future looks like it is all about 16 team leagues, so going to 16 now raises the ACC's chances of survival from 1% to 2%. And that tweet actually makes some sort of sense. Preserves the even 16 for both football and basketball with the Cincy/ND split.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd rather hang with Memphis and Temple than San Jose St and Wyoming (emphasis on the word hang).

I see what you did there, combining your thought with the OP's double and penetration.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'd rather hang with Memphis and Temple than San Jose St and Wyoming (emphasis on the word hang).
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately"... Sorry Old Ben - we've already hung separately, just hoping we can breathe some life back into the corpse.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if at this point we take a acc invite, i'll hang up my uconn hoodie. were in this for the haul for that b10 invite not the acc. until the b10 reaches its goal, we are a lot easier to add for the b10 than any acc team logistics wise and i want it that way. next year the big east still has bball schools and we can have enough fball still to be ok. going to the acc right now would be the cuse and pitt move of giving up. you guys on here are . are we in a bad spot? yea we are, but we still have time and it would be wasted if we just packed acc bags and threw our hands up right now. we can go to the acc later. the b10 and sec have to act. either both of those schools pick apart the acc or the b12 or they add a uconn and some others. no matter how the they fill slots, others open and we are in for those new slots. so pull up your dam skits and man the up for at most another 11 months of this and at least another 15 days. the b10 is our dream, nto the acc. until the b10 says no to us in is plan, the acc. no guts no glory

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If the ACC is so **ty, and we're this close to getting in the Big Ten like the crew of the USSCT says, we can drop anchor in the ACC's port for a couple years. We'd get better TV money than what Aresco can get so we can actually hire a real FB coach. Chill a few years till the ACC blows up and then get in the Big Ten when they go to 20. No biggie.

Reaction Score
If the ACC is so **ty, and we're this close to getting in the Big Ten like the crew of the USSCT says, we can drop anchor in the ACC's port for a couple years till it blows up and then get in the Big Ten when they go to 20. No biggie.
exactly. What different does it make if we play in the ACC or NNNNNNBE if/when the B1G comes knocking on Connecticut's door? While working for a B1G invite I'd rather make the ACC money, play the ACC teams, beat syracuse and pitt, and buddy up with AAU schools like UNC, GTech, and UVa who may be able to help us if the time comes.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
acc wants to do a gor guys, any new school they have added are already under agreement that when the gor come to the table they sign. its the old schools that are holding it up as they are fishing for better lifes...do u want uconn in the acc to sign a gor while the b10 still has slots open?

Reaction Score
acc wants to do a gor guys, any new school they have added are already under agreement that when the gor come to the table they sign. its the old schools that are holding it up as they are fishing for better lifes...do u want uconn in the acc to sign a gor while the b10 still has slots open?

You do of course realize that if the B1G had any interest in us that they would never let us sign a GOR for the ACC without offering us an invite first. All schools and all parties are in constant contact. We are not going anywhere without assurance that better doors are not first closed.

Reaction Score
The ACC does have a better bowl record this year and historically than the B1G. It's as if the only school in the B1G that can win BCS bowls is Ohio State.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You do of course realize that if the B1G had any interest in us that they would never let us sign a GOR for the ACC without offering us an invite first. All schools and all parties are in constant contact. We are not going anywhere without assurance that better doors are not first closed.

thats my whole point.

ppl above were just saying "why dont we go to the acc now and if the b10 calls later we move"....

no matter how u think the fsu vs unc battle is, if u think for 1 second that unc lets lville come to the acc and fsu bend them over without a war then your wrong. unc is gone just like uva. uconn knows all this. were in b1gharder mode right now while other schools run to the acc as fast as possible. why? becuase they have no other option. for uconn to not go yet means we have other options or possibilities. we shouldnt squash those. anyone who wants to go to the acc for 1 or 2 years then the b1g is a who doesn't understand whats really going on.

everyone reads my and thinks im a class 1 nutzo. but when the acc goes to expand they will go to uconn and say hey we would liek to invite u. uconn will say thanks but were not ready yet. then they close the door and susan says to espn/swofford, were still in on the b10 list but not sure. we would liek to remain neutral right now. the acc leaves and invites cicny/lville type. thats called passing up a acc invite. while it was never on the table, u get what im saying.

the acc wants to get a gor. we should never agree to join or sign that until the slot s are full in the big 4. we have a chance to get into tha tgroup still. the acc until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom