Metlife and Yankee stadium | The Boneyard

Metlife and Yankee stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So when does Uconn start trying to get big name teams and start playing a game at Metlife or Yankee stadium in August or October. I think its possible to get a big name team from the SEC or Big 12 to play a game once a year in NY. If Uconn played a Georgia or a Texas I would go in a minute. I think those teams would consider it if it was at Metlife. I am sure getting to play a game there is far from easy but I think its about time to consider it. I know we stood up to Notre Dame but I don't think it solved much. For it to really work though it would have to be against a A or high B list team.

Reaction Score
1 game a year wouldn't hurt. Also I am only considering name teams... Not like I am saying we should play Purdue. I am saying Georgia or Texas or Oklahoma. They never play this way and might be interested in the exposure. USC flew across the country to play in NY when they were #1 at the time. We need to take advantage of what we can....while we still can.

Reaction Score
not_this_shit_again.jpg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Would either BB team convert their stadium for a single game within the BB season?

Reaction Score
If usc would make that kind of trip so would Oregon. Take advantage of the Pac 12 interest in playing in NY. Perhaps the jet lag slows Oregon down a bit and we keep it close :) Also maybe we get a return trip to play in Oregon.

Reaction Score
We're not playing at any baseball stadium until November.

IIRC, the AD who scheduled that series left Saracuse for USC (Gross?).

You're not getting anyone from a P5 to play a non-conference game on the road in the northeast, in November (whether it's called "neutral" or not).

It's possible to get a neutral game at Metlife to open the season, possible but not likely. IIRC, Saracuse gave up a home game for the game in NJ. It would likely have to be our home game or something like a 4 game series, 2 in their place, 1 in ours, 1 at Metlife.

We have Army at Yankee Stadium this November as their away game. If they are willing, we should do this every few years. I'd love a 10 year series with 5 home, 2/3 in the Bronx and 3/2 at West Point.

Reaction Score
If usc would make that kind of trip so would Oregon. Take advantage of the Pac 12 interest in playing in NY. Perhaps the jet lag slows Oregon down a bit and we keep it close :) Also maybe we get a return trip to play in Oregon.
You are aware that USC-Syracuse drew fewer fans than Maryland at UConn, aren't you? And yet you think Oregon-UConn would work at MetLife?

Reaction Score
UCONN @ Army 11/8/2014. Location: Yankee Stadium.

Army @ UCONN 9/12/2015. Location: Rentschler Field.

I hope two things: #1 - we have a winning record by Nov. 8, 2014 - and #2. UCONN fans show up at Yankee Stadium. i'll be there.

Reaction Score
We're not playing at any baseball stadium until November.

IIRC, the AD who scheduled that series left Saracuse for USC (Gross?).

You're not getting anyone from a P5 to play a non-conference game on the road in the northeast, in November (whether it's called "neutral" or not).

It's possible to get a neutral game at Metlife to open the season, possible but not likely. IIRC, Saracuse gave up a home game for the game in NJ. It would likely have to be our home game or something like a 4 game series, 2 in their place, 1 in ours, 1 at Metlife.

We have Army at Yankee Stadium this November as their away game. If they are willing, we should do this every few years. I'd love a 10 year series with 5 home, 2/3 in the Bronx and 3/2 at West Point.
Army is the home team this November. Why in heaven's name would we want to sign a 10 year deal with Army that has zero home games for us?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Army is the home team this November. Why in heaven's name would we want to sign a 10 year deal with Army that has zero home games for us?

I believe that you should read his post again. He had five games at the Rent and five Army home games split between Yankee Stadium and Michie.

Reaction Score
You are aware that USC-Syracuse drew fewer fans than Maryland at UConn, aren't you? And yet you think Oregon-UConn would work at MetLife?
I don't see Maryland on our schedule upcoming.. I don't see USC on our schedule upcoming. I don't see VA on our schedule and I don't see NC st.... I see Byu and Boise St on our schedule upcoming. Regardless if it works or not. Its worth trying at this point. Those teams came when we were in a conference that had some pull..........

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't see what a Met Life game against Oregon does for us, that nebulous "exposure"? That's just cheap heat.

Reaction Score
I believe that you should read his post again. He had five games at the Rent and five Army home games split between Yankee Stadium and Michie.
Ok, I misunderstood. Not sure I want a 10 game series with Army, but that's a different issue.

Reaction Score
At what point do the "we should play a P5 game at Gillette or MetLife" people start to ask the question, Does Gillette or MetLife want us to play a game at their stadium? UConn doesn't just pick up the phone and say we're coming so get the building ready.

I'm willing to bet that if MetLife had the chance to get a d0-over for the USC/Cuse game they would take it in a heartbeat.

I am a Giants season ticket holder and my rep starting calling me a couple weeks before the game offering as many $20 tickets as I wanted. He kept calling up until a couple days before the game when he was offering me $10 tickets. I kept telling him I had no interest in the game but, he kept calling anyway out of desperation.

The only way MetLife or Gillette has any interest in a UConn game is if it is against Penn St or Notre Dame and they won't need UConn to sell tickets to those 2 games.

Reaction Score

5 at the rent.

If we're going to be "stuck" with the likes of Buffalo and UMass for northeast games against non P5 teams, I'll take a long term series with Army over anyone else.

Reaction Score
For the foreseeable future, Uconn will have to play 1 and done road games with any of the top 3 or 4 teams in the P5 conferences. There is no upside for those teams to play Uconn anywhere but at their home stadiums. Even if Uconn gave them 50%+ of the gate, they make more money with home games. Most have no alumni base that would travel for a road game against Uconn. Particularly Pac 12 teams. For better or for worse, Uconn needs to have the play anyone, anywhere on the road attitude. The days of MI coming to the Rent left when the AAC was formed.

The chances of getting home and home with lower P5 teams in the B1G, ACC, SEC, Big 12 does remain a possibility (IL, IN, Cuse, Pitt, UNC, NC State, UMD, Rutty, KY, Vandy, etc.). Those teams have done that with regularity with MAC, C-USA level teams, and make no mistake, that is where the AAC is viewed right now. But the top teams have zero incentive to have Uconn be an away game. Changing the venue does not make a difference.

Reaction Score
For the foreseeable future, Uconn will have to play 1 and done road games with any of the top 3 or 4 teams in the P5 conferences. There is no upside for those teams to play Uconn anywhere but at their home stadiums. Even if Uconn gave them 50%+ of the gate, they make more money with home games. Most have no alumni base that would travel for a road game against Uconn. Particularly Pac 12 teams. For better or for worse, Uconn needs to have the play anyone, anywhere on the road attitude. The days of MI coming to the Rent left when the AAC was formed.

The chances of getting home and home with lower P5 teams in the B1G, ACC, SEC, Big 12 does remain a possibility (IL, IN, Cuse, Pitt, UNC, NC State, UMD, Rutty, KY, Vandy, etc.). Those teams have done that with regularity with MAC, C-USA level teams, and make no mistake, that is where the AAC is viewed right now. But the top teams have zero incentive to have Uconn be an away game. Changing the venue does not make a difference.

Yeah - that about sums it up. I disagree with the last statement only, which is the crux here though. I think the lure of playing in Yankee Stadium, or Met-Life, or even in Foxborough, fits, specifically for the higher end Big 10 programs. There is no draw there for the SEC, Big 12. Pac 12 - they've tried, but doubtful if that would continue and TexOklahoma isn't coming to the Big Apple. ACC programs as well would be interested. It is fact, that Miami was exploring scheduling arrangements in the past - to play in the NYC metro area. If Miami does it, you know that Florida State will follow. What we need to do, is build healthy relationships with the management of those venues and those athletic departments, such that when that kind of thing is scheduled, that UCONN is the opponent that they are putting on the schedule.

Reaction Score

True, but that's really not so different from when we were in the BE or if we moved into the ACC or B1G though. The Michigan game was really dumb luck. They needed a BCS team with an availability on a certain date, and if memory serves UConn was one of maybe 2 options available. We were/are very unlikely to get a home and homes with USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Texas, OU, Okie St, Bama, UF, Auburn, UGa, FSU, Miami, Clemson, tOSU, PSU, Nebraska. Even if we moved into the ACC or B1G, odds are we aren't getting the top 3-4 teams from the other P5's to sign a home and home.

Reaction Score
If, and that's a BIG IF, Florida State or Miami play a game in the metro NY area, more likely than not it will be against Syracuse or Pittsburg. For Gillette Stadium, their choice more likely than not be BC.

UConn is not on the radar of upper P5 teams for an away game. As 06029 suggested, for now any games at top level p5 programs would be one and done away games. No major P5 team is going anywhere to play a lower level (<110 ranked) BCS team. There would not be any travel interest for their fans or alumni.

If we want a chance to build the UConn FB brand, I hope we go for that and often!

Reaction Score
Really into fantasy land now. If Syracuse, BCU, or Pitt agree to play a conference game away from the Dome, Heinz, or Chestnut Hill - there couldn't be a bigger sign of those respective athletic departments being bent over the rail and screwed in the keister by Tobacco Road management. They are slaves to tobacco road but I can't imagine they are going to bend over and take that. Highly doubtful. This fantasy land neutral site is all non-conference scheduling.

Miami - this is what I was talking about. This happened 3 years ago. I have no idea if it's completely dead or still alive. Couldn't hurt to kick the tires. Warde.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5518921

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate